    The Windows password can be bypassed, and I understand a BIOS password can
    be also.

    Thanks
    ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa, May 28, 2006

  2. ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

    Mike Easter Guest

    ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa wrote:
    > What's the best ay to make a password in a 98 laptop?

    The security concept here being to prevent the laptop from being stolen?
    Or is there some other security target in mind?

    > The Windows password can be bypassed, and I understand a BIOS
    > password can be also.

    Before we get down to the fine points of defeating various security,
    let's define what we are trying to secure -- then we can work on a
    method of doing it.

    If the idea is to prevent the theft of the laptop, that is one thing.
    If the idea is to prevent the thief from being able to access the data
    on the laptop, that is another thing. If the idea is to prevent some
    friend or co-worker who can access the laptop but not steal it from
    casual prying or snooping, that is still another thing.

    You haven't defined your mission yet.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 28, 2006

  3. ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa spewed forth:
    > What's the best ay to make a password in a 98 laptop?
    >
    > The Windows password can be bypassed, and I understand a BIOS
    > password can be also.

    You can't secure Windows 98 without non-Microsoft software. Your BIOS
    password is MUCH more secure. It's not like a desktop where they can drop
    the cover and set a jumper to erase a password.

    Another option might be to encrypt the data you need protected - there is
    freeware available for that.

    --
    I always finish what I sta
    Toolman Tim, May 28, 2006
  4. ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

    Margolotta Guest

    On Sun, 28 May 2006 17:44:36 +0100, ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa wrote
    (in article <>):

    > What's the best ay to make a password in a 98 laptop?
    >
    > The Windows password can be bypassed, and I understand a BIOS password can
    > be also.
    >

    > Thanks

    You cannot (unless there's a 3rd party application that can do it). Because
    the 9x family is FAT32, securilty is like a locked door in the middle of a
    field - completely useless. FAT32 was never designed to be secure because
    they were either designed to be used on home computers or on client
    workstations being run on an NT-based server (therefore the security was at
    the server side and anything sensitive was stored on the server, not on the
    client system).

    You don't mean a BIOS password - you mean a system password - the former just
    prevents access to the BIOS; the latter prevents the system from booting.
    You're right, however, they can be circumvented but, as this is a laptop,
    it's going to be a little more difficult as the only methods I'm aware of
    involve removing the CMOS battery or shorting the CMOS reset jumper pins.

    If you tell us why you want to secure the system, someone might be able to
    advise. The best suggestion I can think of is installing Windows 2000 (if the
    specs are too lowly for XP, 2000 might run). Or Linux. Linux is, by
    definition, more secure than Windows.
    Margolotta, May 28, 2006
  5. 'Tis almost impossible to secure a Win9x computer as it is FAT32, but
    there is one way. The only way I know of is using the System Policy
    Editor. See here:

    http://www.zisman.ca/poledit/

    @}-}-------Rosee, May 28, 2006
  6. "@}-}-------Rosee" <!!GigAntiCBoSomS!!@Nip..com> wrote in message
    > 'Tis almost impossible to secure a Win9x computer as it is FAT32, but
    > there is one way. The only way I know of is using the System Policy
    > Editor. See here:
    >
    > http://www.zisman.ca/poledit/
    >
    > "ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa" <> wrote
    >
    >> What's the best ay to make a password in a 98 laptop?
    >>
    >> The Windows password can be bypassed, and I understand a BIOS password
    >> can be also.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > --
    > @}-}--}------Rosee http://www.cangogh.net/pix.html
    > www.givemeals.com www.freedonation.com www.hungersite.com
    > "This (TINT) is whatever I want it to be you bigfooted
    > belligerent bowlegged babblative babuina."~Zigi~

    Many thanks for the info

    I'm just trying to secure the info on there, so that if it gets stolen, the
    cunning thief cannot access the millions I currently hold in off shore
    accounts.

    I can change the password in the Bios...

    Cheers
    ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa, May 28, 2006
  7. ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

    Mike Easter Guest

    ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa wrote:

    > I'm just trying to secure the info on there, so that if it gets
    > stolen, the cunning thief cannot access the millions I currently hold
    > in off shore accounts.

    Then the way I would do that would be to encrypt the drive.

    > I can change the password in the Bios...

    The problem with just using the

    Using Poledit: Policy Editor to help secure Windows 95/98/ME computers

    at the website named, or with passwording the BIOS, is that the thief
    who steals the laptop and wants it for the data can still access the
    drive and its data. The thief doesn't have to get past the bios pw or
    the poledit Win situation

    If the drive is encrypted, then the laptop/data thief is going to have
    to bring some more serious encrypted drive cracking resources to bear.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 28, 2006
  8. ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

    Sigmund F Guest

    "Margolotta" <> wrote in message

    This is very odd? The manic mad maggot from Missenden usually
    berates this poster for using as his email, zaza.com...........
    But she went to extraordinary effort to find, and cut+paste
    a reasonable response? Though it is obvious she dosen't
    understand a single word of what she has posted.
    I wonder whose dentures she is using?
    Sigmund F, May 28, 2006
  9. ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

    UnderDog Guest

    ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa wrote:
    > What's the best ay to make a password in a 98 laptop?
    >
    > The Windows password can be bypassed, and I understand a BIOS password can
    > be also.
    >

    > Thanks

    Go to www.dougknox.com, and click the "Security" link at the top of
    the left-side menu.

    Check out the "Prevent Unauthorized Users from
    accessing your computer" at the top of the resulting page.

    Caution: read and understand the instructions before doing anything.

    This information was given to me by someone in newsgroup
    microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion. For all intents and purposes, it
    works like a charm. The password cannot be bypassed, as is usually the case
    in Win98. Make sure you follow the directions and make a back up of the
    registry. You can also use the BIOS password as added security if you wish,
    but I don't think it's needed. Just make sure you change the PW from the
    factory default PW, and make sure you remember what it is. I there are ways
    to bypass this, I'm sure it's not known by the average user.
    UnderDog, May 29, 2006
  10. Many thanks for the info.

    Is there software a novice can use to encrypt the drive?

    ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa, May 29, 2006
  11. ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

    Mike Easter Guest

    ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa wrote:

    > Is there software a novice can use to encrypt the drive?

    There is a family of ware whose current closed source commercial product
    is DriveCrypt. Prior to drivecrypt, the earlier open source versions
    were Encryption for the Masses or E4M and ScramDisk. The Securstar
    people have withdrawn the NT, 2K, & XP versions from availability, but
    the free Win9x versions are available but unsupported. The commercial
    DriveCrypt has a number of features not on the free ScramDisk. Another
    choice of On-The-Fly OTF Encryption is PGP disk. Tom McCune's is a good
    place to start researching pgp related ware. There are a lot of pages
    which have a lot of links to security related sites, such as Eric Howe's
    which has a section on Disk Encryption.

    http://www.securstar.com/s_products.php DriveCrypt - 1344Bit Hard Disk
    Encryption -- The worldwide most used encryption sofware

    http://www.samsimpson.com/cryptography/scramdisk/#dloade Scramdisk

    http://www.sdean12.org/Comparison_OTFCrypto.htm On-The-Fly Encryption:
    A Comparison --Sarah Dean

    http://www.mccune.cc/PGP.htm Tom McCune's page for Pretty Good Privacy

    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/main-nf.htm Welcome to Eric Howes'
    Privacy & Security Page

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 29, 2006
  12. ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

    Plato Guest

    ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa wrote:

    > What's the best ay to make a password in a 98 laptop?

    Use a system password via the BIOS. Yes it can be removed but you'd need
    a third party utility.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jun 1, 2006