    which I want to keep private but do not contain terribly important
    information.

    ??

    eddyR@what's.up.doc.?.org, May 15, 2010

  2. Why are you using such an old version? The current version is 11.

    your time.

    The Real Truth MVP, May 15, 2010

  3. On Sat, 15 May 2010 07:47:44 -0700, "The Real Truth MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >Why are you using such an old version? The current version is 11.

    Because I don't think it important enough to pay for an upgrade.
    However, you got me curious and I checked the site. Upgrades are
    free.

    Now, my main question still remains: Has anyone heard of one those
    cracking programs that can extract passwords from an encrypted PAE
    file made with Power Archiver?

    eddyR@what's.up.doc.?.org, May 15, 2010
  4. http://www.google.com/search?source...TF-8&rlz=1T4SUNA_enUS264US265&q=aes 256 crack

    The Real Truth MVP, May 15, 2010
  5. On Sat, 15 May 2010 13:44:33 -0700, "The Real Truth MVP"
    <> wrote:
    >http://www.google.com/search?source...TF-8&rlz=1T4SUNA_enUS264US265&q=aes 256 crack

    We believe that these results may shed a new light on the design
    of the key-schedules of block ciphers, but they pose no immediate
    threat for the real world applications that use AES.

    Agreed. While this attack is better than brute force -- and some
    cryptographers will describe the algorithm as "broken" because of it
    -- it is still far, far beyond our capabilities of computation. The
    attack is, and probably forever will be, theoretical. But remember:
    attacks always get better, they never get worse. Others will continue
    to improve on these numbers. While there's no reason to panic, no
    reason to stop using AES, no reason to insist that NIST choose another
    encryption standard, this will certainly be a problem for some of the
    AES-based SHA-3 candidate hash functions.

    This means nothing in the real world, so far. The vulnerability of
    zip programs is another matter altogether. Apples and oranges.

    But I did find one problem. Not ever having used Power Archiver for
    anything but extraction, I never bothered with the Help section. In
    there I find that the PAE files it constructs are not compressed, but
    merely encoded. So, that takes care of that. You have to install a
    separate SFX program if you want to create a self extracting
    compressed file.

    "Because PowerArchiver does not compress data in PAE files, we
    recommend using PAE together with an archive format of your choice for
    best results."

    It seems for larger files I'll have to use a zip program and then
    encrypt the compressed file. Smaller files I'll merely encrypt.
    I'll have to experiment with which encryption/SFX freebie gives me
    the smallest file. As I said, I need this mostly for email.

    eddyR@what's.up.doc.?.org, May 16, 2010