    --

    Peter James
    Change AT to @ to reply
    Peter James, Jan 15, 2004

  2. "Peter James" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've just started to use Opera v7.23 with Java 2 Runtime Enviroment,
    > SE V1.42_01.
    > I've read mention on Usenet of certain security problems with Java.
    > Can anyone enlighten me on this, and is Opera with Java safe of should
    > I disable Java. And if yes, how?

    It's reasonably secure (although there have been holes)

    You biggest problem might be (judging from the version you've given) the
    fact that the certificates went west a few days ago - I think that the
    current version is another[1] 1.4.2_03. Check with Sun.

    Your next biggest problem might be getting Opera to do anything with Java
    consistently.. it can be a "bit" unreliable.

    HTH

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    [1] I /think/ that it's the third or fourth release under this version
    number. Can't remember.
    Hairy One Kenobi, Jan 15, 2004

  3. Peter James

    donutbandit Guest

    Peter James <> wrote in

    > I've just started to use Opera v7.23 with Java 2 Runtime Enviroment,
    > SE V1.42_01.
    > I've read mention on Usenet of certain security problems with Java.
    > Can anyone enlighten me on this, and is Opera with Java safe of should
    > I disable Java. And if yes, how?

    I would feel far safer using Sun Java with Opera than using IE.

    However, there have been some recent issues with RedSheriff and Java.
    RedSheriff is a tracking concern that uses a small Java applet on web
    sites.

    http://kalsey.com/2002/11/java_spyware/

    Here is also some info on how to set up Proxomitron and DNSKong to disable
    RedSheriff.

    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?s=4dcaed0193f52ec7413d62b68c50b6cf&
    showtopic=2239&st=0
    donutbandit, Jan 15, 2004
  4. Peter James

    joe Guest

    Java plug in stores your cert store password in the clear on the hard
    drive....uses it's own cert store ....should be fixed with 1.5

    yeah, it has problems.

    joe, Jan 15, 2004
  5. Peter James

    Peter James Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:03:02 -0000, "Hairy One Kenobi"
    <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

    >"Peter James" <> wrote in message
    >> I've just started to use Opera v7.23 with Java 2 Runtime Enviroment,
    >> SE V1.42_01.
    >> I've read mention on Usenet of certain security problems with Java.
    >> Can anyone enlighten me on this, and is Opera with Java safe of should
    >> I disable Java. And if yes, how?

    >It's reasonably secure (although there have been holes)

    Is it possible to block Java using Kerio?
    >You biggest problem might be (judging from the version you've given) the
    >fact that the certificates went west a few days ago - I think that the
    >current version is another[1] 1.4.2_03. Check with Sun.

    Is the later version more secure?
    >Your next biggest problem might be getting Opera to do anything with Java
    >consistently.. it can be a "bit" unreliable.

    I see that Java is shown im my list of Add and Delete programmes in
    Control Panel. Would it be better to delete it completely?

    --

    Peter James
    Change AT to @ to reply
    Peter James, Jan 17, 2004
  6. "Peter James" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:03:02 -0000, "Hairy One Kenobi"
    > <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
    >
    > >"Peter James" <> wrote in message
    > >> I've just started to use Opera v7.23 with Java 2 Runtime Enviroment,
    > >> SE V1.42_01.
    > >> I've read mention on Usenet of certain security problems with Java.
    > >> Can anyone enlighten me on this, and is Opera with Java safe of should
    > >> I disable Java. And if yes, how?

    > >It's reasonably secure (although there have been holes)

    > Is it possible to block Java using Kerio?

    I doubt it (even if it /does/ block by file type, it'd have to decode HTTPS.
    Doesn't strike me as to of the wish-list!)

    Far easier would be to disable it in your browser - that way, you can turn
    it on and off at will.

    > >You biggest problem might be (judging from the version you've given) the
    > >fact that the certificates went west a few days ago - I think that the
    > >current version is another[1] 1.4.2_03. Check with Sun.

    > Is the later version more secure?

    Well, I suppose you could call the current version fairly secure - it no
    longer works properly ;o) The latest, latest, latest version with the
    version number should function properly.

    > >Your next biggest problem might be getting Opera to do anything with Java
    > >consistently.. it can be a "bit" unreliable.

    > I see that Java is shown im my list of Add and Delete programmes in
    > Control Panel. Would it be better to delete it completely?

    It depends if you ever use it. Personally, I do (as do a lot of web sites
    with JavaScript, including most UK Internet Banking).

    As I said, the main problem I've found with Opera is that sometimes-it-does,
    sometimes-it-doesn't. It can quite frustrating at times.

    H1K
    Hairy One Kenobi, Jan 17, 2004