    forseeable future?

    TIA,

    JohnK

    John F Kappler, Sep 30, 2004

  2. John F Kappler

    David Shaw Guest

    I've actually never heard of "internet backup services", but I trust
    that this is *not* one of those services that claim to save the entire
    internet, correct? Those are quite silly :)

    -ds

    David Shaw, Oct 4, 2004

  3. On 3 Oct 2004 16:12:42 -0700, (David Shaw) wrote:

    >I've actually never heard of "internet backup services", but I trust
    >that this is *not* one of those services that claim to save the entire
    >internet, correct? Those are quite silly :)
    >
    >-ds

    No, I meant the services where you can use server space, via the
    internet, to be your off-site secure backup. The companies provide
    (and charge for) the server space and software that allows off-site
    backups to be scheduled, sometimes with the option of encryption of
    data.

    JohnK

    John F Kappler, Oct 5, 2004
  4. John F Kappler

    David Shaw Guest

    Ah yes, I have heard of those- the name didn't click. I think that
    your best bet is to regularly mirror it at multiple sites, such as
    friends' servers or backup hard drives. This is safer and more secure
    than using these services. I wouldn't trust sensitive data unencrypted
    on an external machine that I wouldn't trust with my life... but then
    again, maybe I'm just paranoid.

    -ds

    David Shaw, Oct 6, 2004
  5. John F Kappler

    Beachcomber Guest

    On 5 Oct 2004 21:54:17 -0700, (David Shaw) wrote:

    >Ah yes, I have heard of those- the name didn't click. I think that
    >your best bet is to regularly mirror it at multiple sites, such as
    >friends' servers or backup hard drives. This is safer and more secure
    >than using these services. I wouldn't trust sensitive data unencrypted
    >on an external machine that I wouldn't trust with my life... but then
    >again, maybe I'm just paranoid.
    >
    >-ds

    He may be talking about a company use that may require something a
    little more formal method than storing critical data on a "friends"
    server.

    Yes, there are companies that move this data via the Internet, but if
    your company is of any size, you will find that there may be bandwidth
    volume and security issues to deal with.

    One semi-low tech that some companies are using is to use postal
    service mail. The servers are backed up each day on your site to
    high capacity tape or optical media with encrypted data and then
    mailed to a back up storage facility in a secure part of the country
    with low incidents of natural disasters (hurricanes, floods,
    earthquakes, tornadoes, etc.)

    The off premises company might then store, say 30 days of back up
    encrypted media and mail back the first shipment received for
    re-recording. This has the advantage of providing a second location
    in some part of the company with your vital business records should
    your area be wiped out with a natural disaster (Florida?), for
    instance. It may be cheaper and more secure than the extra bandwidth
    you are going to pay for an online solution. Also, the US Postal
    Service is extremely secure when items are sent registered mail.
    Jewelers often ship products this way that are valued up to $25,000.

    Beachcomber

    Beachcomber, Oct 6, 2004