    be secured by the anti virus etc., software in the main PC or do I
    require a separate program and if so could I have suggestions
    regarding software, please? TIA

    sandy58, Sep 24, 2009

  2. "sandy58" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My main computer linked to spare PC by dongle. Will the spare PC
    > be secured by the anti virus etc., software in the main PC or do I
    > require a separate program and if so could I have suggestions
    > regarding software, please? TIA

    By dongle? By wireless, yes. The form of the wireless adaptor might be a
    dongle -- USB-based wireless adaptor.

    The wireless adaptor talks to a router, and the Internet traffic through the
    router to the laptop is not protected, and the laptop needs its own
    anti-virus.

    Jeff Strickland, Sep 24, 2009

  3. sandy58

    JD Guest

    sandy58 wrote:
    > My main computer linked to spare PC by dongle. Will the spare PC
    > be secured by the anti virus etc., software in the main PC or do I
    > require a separate program and if so could I have suggestions
    > regarding software, please? TIA

    Hi

    AS the other post's say you will require software protection for your
    computer with the dongle attached, there are lots of free products you
    can use such as:

    Antivirus:

    Antivir (avira) http://www.freeav.com
    AVG Free http://free.avg.com
    Avast http://www.avast.com
    Clam http://sourceforge.net/projects/clamwin/

    Spyware/malware etc:

    Spybot search & Destroy http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
    Spyware Doctor http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/

    Microsoft malicious software removal tool(MRT)
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.aspx
    should be downloaded by default (automatic update)if you have xp
    you can run it by typing mrt.exe in the run box (Start/Run)

    there are many many other programs out there, windows has a firewall and
    your router acts as a firewall also, but you may wish to install a
    better one, as for the antivirus I personally don't use one everyday.
    this will no doubt spark another thread, but when I do use one I
    prefer Antivir (avira) its quite lightweight, if your not sure which one
    to use and want to try out more than one antivirus software remember to
    uninstall the other ones, you should only have one antivirus program on
    your computer.

    JD

    JD, Sep 24, 2009
  4. sandy58

    sandy58 Guest

    On Sep 24, 7:13 pm, JD <> wrote:
    > sandy58 wrote:
    > > My main computer linked to spare PC by dongle. Will the spare PC
    > > be secured by the anti virus etc., software in the main PC or do I
    > >  require a separate program and if so could I have suggestions
    > > regarding software, please?TIA

    > Hi
    >
    > AS the other post's say you will require software protection for your
    > computer with the dongle attached, there are lots of free products you
    > can use such as:
    >
    > Antivirus:
    >
    > Antivir (avira)http://www.freeav.com
    > AVG Free        http://free.avg.com
    > Avast          http://www.avast.com
    > Clam            http://sourceforge.net/projects/clamwin/
    >
    > Spyware/malware etc:
    >
    > Spybot search & Destroy  http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
    > Spyware Doctor          http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/
    >
    > Microsoft malicious software removal tool(MRT)http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.aspx
    > should be downloaded by default (automatic update)if you have xp
    > you can run it by typing mrt.exe in the run box (Start/Run)
    >
    > there are many many other programs out there, windows has a firewall and
    > your router acts as a firewall also, but you may wish to install a
    > better one, as for the antivirus I personally don't use one everyday.
    >   this will no doubt spark another thread, but when I do use one I
    > prefer Antivir (avira) its quite lightweight, if your not sure which one
    > to use and want to try out more than one antivirus software remember to
    > uninstall the other ones, you should only have one antivirus program on
    > your computer.
    >
    > JD

    Thank you all for prompt & very helpful replies. I do have AVG &
    Malware bytes, which I will now install on the 2nd PC & will acquire
    Ad-Aware very soon.
    ATB, all.

    sandy58, Sep 24, 2009