    it greatly. Inquiring minds want to know.

    Thanks in advance,
    Mike
    Michael O'Keefe, Mar 2, 2005

  2. Michael O'Keefe

    Jeff Evans Guest

    Michael O'Keefe wrote:
    > I recently read that we should update to Firefox version 1.0.1 because of
    > security holes
    > in version1.0. My question is this: if you are running a firewall, does it
    > really make any
    > difference if there are security holes or not. I thought the function of a
    > firewall was to
    > prevent outside intrusion.
    >
    > If anyone could be kind enough to give me their thoughts on this matter, I'd
    > appreciate
    > it greatly. Inquiring minds want to know.

    I don't know much about the other security fixes, but at least for the
    international domain name fix, that would have nothing to do with your
    firewall.
    Jeff Evans, Mar 2, 2005

  3. Michael O'Keefe

    ..brian.. Guest

    Jeff Evans wrote:
    > Michael O'Keefe wrote:
    > > I recently read that we should update to Firefox version 1.0.1

    because of
    > > security holes
    > > in version1.0. My question is this: if you are running a firewall,

    does it
    > > really make any
    > > difference if there are security holes or not. I thought the

    function of a
    > > firewall was to
    > > prevent outside intrusion.
    > >
    > > If anyone could be kind enough to give me their thoughts on this

    matter, I'd
    > > appreciate
    > > it greatly. Inquiring minds want to know.

    > I don't know much about the other security fixes, but at least for

    the
    > international domain name fix, that would have nothing to do with

    your
    > firewall.

    Your firewall will not protect you from any of the security bugs that
    were corrected in 1.0.1 -- you can read what was fixed here:

    [http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabilities.html#Firefox]

    There's really no need to run out and download the upgrade, because the
    *latest* update file will come to you automatically in a few days. The
    update is a much smaller file because it's just a patch vs. a complete
    install. While all security updates are a good thing, I don't think
    most users are truly affected by most of the latest fixes.

    If you are going to install 1.0.1, please remember to pay attention to
    this important note:

    [http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/#new]
    --
    Brian