    spyware and antivirus? I have downloaded AVG but if there is something
    better I'm all for that.

    The computer hasn't arrived yet so I am trying to prepare.
    Bogey Man, Mar 12, 2008

  2. If you have Vista x64 then Windows Defender is built in. If XP Pro x64 then
    there is a 64bit version of Windows Defender you can use. AVG is fine. So
    is Avast.

    Next time please tell us what operating system you use.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 12, 2008

  3. Bogey Man

    Bogey Man Guest

    "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message
    > If you have Vista x64 then Windows Defender is built in. If XP Pro x64
    > then there is a 64bit version of Windows Defender you can use. AVG is
    > fine. So is Avast.
    >
    > Next time please tell us what operating system you use.
    >
    > "Bogey Man" <> wrote in message
    >> What do you veteran 64 bit users recommend for protection against malwar,
    >> spyware and antivirus? I have downloaded AVG but if there is something
    >> better I'm all for that.
    >>
    >> The computer hasn't arrived yet so I am trying to prepare.

    Sorry, forgot all about that.....stupid. I have Vista Home Premium 64.

    Thank you. I have downloaded both AVG and Avast so will have to decide.
    Bogey Man, Mar 14, 2008
  4. I have AVG running on Home Premium x64 and Avast running on Ultimate x64 and
    both programs work fine.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 14, 2008
  5. Bogey Man

    Mike M. Guest

    "Bogey Man" wrote:

    > What do you veteran 64 bit users recommend for protection against malwar,
    > spyware and antivirus? I have downloaded AVG but if there is something
    > better I'm all for that.
    >
    > The computer hasn't arrived yet so I am trying to prepare.

    I have AVG and Spy Bot search and Destroy from Safernetworking and it seems
    to do the trick.
    Good Luck-Mike

    Mike M., Mar 14, 2008
  6. Bogey Man

    Chris Cowles Guest

    "Bogey Man" <> wrote in message news:...

    > Thank you. I have downloaded both AVG and Avast so will have to decide.

    AVG does not allow updating virus signatures unless logged in with an administrator account. At least, that was true within the past year, and is why I ditched it. I had installed it on my kids' computers and they're not administrators. The AV signatures never got updated unless I logged in myself. Kinda dumb design.
    --
    Chris Cowles
    Gainesville, FL
    Chris Cowles, Mar 14, 2008
  7. Bogey Man

    >I have AVG running on Home Premium x64 and Avast running on Ultimate x64
    >and both programs work fine.

    Nice to hear as I just installed AVG. If I don't like it, well, I will try
    the other<;-)

    Bogey Man, Mar 14, 2008
  8. Bogey Man

    Bogey Man Guest

    I will check out that Safernetworking....thanks

    Bogey Man, Mar 14, 2008
  9. Bogey Man

    Bogey Man Guest

    "Chris Cowles" <> wrote in message
    "Bogey Man" <> wrote in message

    > Thank you. I have downloaded both AVG and Avast so will have to decide.

    AVG does not allow updating virus signatures unless logged in with an
    administrator account. At least, that was true within the past year, and is
    why I ditched it. I had installed it on my kids' computers and they're not
    administrators. The AV signatures never got updated unless I logged in
    myself. Kinda dumb design.
    --
    Chris Cowles
    Gainesville, FL

    I am the administrator and only user so I will see how that goes. Thanks
    for the heads up.
    Bogey Man, Mar 14, 2008