Security for adding workstations

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by =?Utf-8?B?QWQgc2VjdXJpdHkgZ29vYg==?=, May 6, 2004.

  1. We presently have Active Directory in a single domain model. We are assigning security to our remote sites at the OU level. Meaning each site has their own OU and they have Full Control over their OU. We are having problems with our LAN admins ability to add workstations to the domain. As you know, by default, the workstations get put into the "computers" directory when adding them to the domain. We do not want to give LAN admins that access and would like them to be able to add the workstation directly to their OU. Any ideas??

    =?Utf-8?B?QWQgc2VjdXJpdHkgZ29vYg==?=, May 6, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QWQgc2VjdXJpdHkgZ29vYg==?=

    ADHD Guest

    Any ideas?

    The mose obvious idea is to give each remote site their
    own domain.

    Any reason not to?

    ADHD, May 6, 2004

  3. Windows 2003 allows you to do this.

    Otherwise if you RIS computers you can control which OU the account gets
    created in.

    Brendon Rogers, May 7, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QWQgc2VjdXJpdHkgZ29vYg==?=

    Spyke Guest

    "=?Utf-8?B?QWQgc2VjdXJpdHkgZ29vYg==?="
    <> wrote in

    > We presently have Active Directory in a single domain model. We are
    > assigning security to our remote sites at the OU level. Meaning each
    > site has their own OU and they have Full Control over their OU. We are
    > having problems with our LAN admins ability to add workstations to the
    > domain. As you know, by default, the workstations get put into the
    > "computers" directory when adding them to the domain. We do not want
    > to give LAN admins that access and would like them to be able to add
    > the workstation directly to their OU. Any ideas??

    Train the remote admins to create the computer accounts in the correct OU
    before joining the computer to the domain. Then you don't need to worry
    about giving them access to the Computers container.

    --

    Cheers,
    Spyke

    Spyke, May 7, 2004