  1. Can anyone help?

    I would like to set up a security-enabled wireless connection at home, what
    do i have to do?
    =?Utf-8?B?Sko=?=, Oct 2, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Sko=?=

    RJK Guest

    "Guess," pretty much like your question has left everyone in here guessing,
    as to your type of hardware / wireless equipment, and even if you've
    actually bought some yet !

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Oct 2, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Sko=?=

    RJK Guest

    ....oops, that sounded a bit "curt" of me didn't it !
    ....if you haven't already bought equipment and don't need to buy any more
    PC's or laptops, and you don't already have a wifi capable router, a
    wireless router might be a good first buy.
    Linksys are selling models with antennas, one or two bundled with PCIMCIA
    card for laptop / e.g. if you have laptop that is not wifi ready.
    If range could be a problem avoid the WAG354G like mine, I had to buy extra
    antenna's as they didn't come with it. (rip-off merchants)

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Oct 2, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Sko=?=

    Malke Guest

    JJ wrote:

    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > I would like to set up a security-enabled wireless connection at home,
    > what do i have to do?

    Here are links to help you do that:

    Wireless - Basic Configuration -

    Tom's Hardware Wireless Security FAQs
    http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2006/06/30/wireless_faq_security/index.html

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Oct 2, 2006
  5. I have a wireless router, two laptops and two PC's here. All of which are
    wireless ready. We are currently using wireless successfully to connect to
    the internet, however i do not know how to make it secure.

    =?Utf-8?B?Sko=?=, Oct 2, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Sko=?=

    RJK Guest

    Ah !

    You need to access the router settings and switch on wireless security e.g.
    WEP or WPA (which is more secure than WEP).
    After entering your password, you need to make corresponding adjustements to
    the wireless receivers' software profiles.

    I recently did this to mine, and it's a reasonably intuitive procedure.

    i.e. dig, tweak and learn.

    I expect you've already rummaged in the router ? e.g. with my Linksys I
    type in http://192.168.1.1 into my IE6 web browser address slot and hit
    [Enter] :)

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Oct 2, 2006