security enable wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?cnNhbmRlcjY3ODk=?=, Jun 8, 2006.

  1. Have Windows 2000 and wirless network. How do I secure enable the network so
    that other neighbors cannot connect
    =?Utf-8?B?cnNhbmRlcjY3ODk=?=, Jun 8, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?cnNhbmRlcjY3ODk=?=

    Malke Guest

    rsander6789 wrote:

    > Have Windows 2000 and wirless network. How do I secure enable the
    > network so that other neighbors cannot connect

    You need to 1) change the SSID to something other than the default; 2)
    enable the highest level of encryption (like WPA2) that all your
    hardware will support. See:

    Wireless - Basic Configuration -

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Jun 8, 2006

  3. This is much too complicated for the ordinary user. Is there an easier way?
    --
    Maine

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3V5bWFpbmU=?=, Aug 19, 2006
  4. Did you ever find an easy way to do this? I could not understand the
    directions on the web site your respondent referred you to.

    --
    Maine

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3V5bWFpbmU=?=, Aug 19, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?cnNhbmRlcjY3ODk=?=

    Lem Guest

    guymaine wrote:

    > This is much too complicated for the ordinary user. Is there an easier way?

    In short, no.

    The "SSID" is merely the name you give your wireless network, so that
    when you look for available networks, you know that you are connecting
    to your own. Too many people leave this at the default setting.
    Linksys wireless routers, for example, have a default SSID of "Linksys"
    -- so if you and a nearby neighbor both have Linksys routers with that
    default SSID, you'll never know if you're connecting to your network or
    your neighbor's.

    Changing the router's SSID is easy. Look in the User Guide that came
    with your router. Because you didn't say what you have, I can't give
    you any specific advice.

    Setting up encryption is also not difficult. This must be done both in
    the router and on your computer. Because Windows 2000 doesn't include
    "wireless zero configuration," you'll be using the configuration
    software supplied by the manufacturer of whatever wireless adapter is
    connected to your computer. Again, see the User Guide for this piece of
    hardware as well.

    There are 3 levels of encryption used in home wireless networks: WEP,
    WPA, and WPA2. WPA may have suboptions of WPA-TPIK and/or WPA-AES.
    Similarly, WEP usually offers 64- or 128-bit keys. In order of
    increasing security:
    WEP 64
    WEP 128
    WPA (WPA-TPIk)
    WPA-AES
    WPA2

    You should use the highest level security available to you. This may
    require updating the firmware for your router and the driver for the
    adapter connected to your computer. The User Guides for your hardware
    will explain how to do this.

    If all of the above really seems too complicated for you, you should
    find a local computer professional (not your equivalent of BigStoreUSA),
    and have them come and set up security for your wireless network.
    Assuming that everything is working OK, and you don't have any viruses
    or other malware on your computer, it shouldn't be very expensive.
    Lem, Aug 19, 2006
  6. Thanks, that helped. Actually, I have Windows XP and I do have a different
    SSID than my neighbors. They all have Linksys. That's not the problem. I
    always get the connection to my network. I'm just concerned about others
    logging on to my computer.

    I've printed out your comments and will see what I can do to further secure
    my network. Appreciate your remarks.
    --
    Maine

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3V5bWFpbmU=?=, Aug 19, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?cnNhbmRlcjY3ODk=?=

    Lem Guest

    guymaine wrote:
    > Thanks, that helped. Actually, I have Windows XP and I do have a different
    > SSID than my neighbors. They all have Linksys. That's not the problem. I
    > always get the connection to my network. I'm just concerned about others
    > logging on to my computer.
    >
    > I've printed out your comments and will see what I can do to further secure
    > my network. Appreciate your remarks.

    Windows XP, especitally if you have installed service pack 2 (which you
    should for a wire variety of reasons), makes it easy (OK, easier) to set
    up wireless security. There is a lot of info available in the internet.
    Try this article
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0804.mspx

    After you set up enccryption on your router, set up your computer
    followng the discussion at "Updated Wireless Networks tab for the
    properties of a wireless connection" in the article above.

    Remember, if you attempt to configure your router with a computer that
    is connected wirelessly, rather than by Ethernet cable, you will lose
    your wireless connection as soon as you click the "save settings" button
    on the Linksys "Wireless Security" page.
    Lem, Aug 21, 2006