"Security component" and the profile directory

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Brad Hill, Jan 29, 2005.

  1. Brad Hill

    Brad Hill Guest

    Firefox 1.0 (WinXP Home) gives me this message over and over--

    "Could not initialize the browser's security component. The most likely
    cause is problems with files in the browser's profiles directory. Please
    check the directory and make sure there are no read/write restrictions and
    your hard disc is not full or close to full."

    So I found the profile directory and discovered it was set to Read-only,
    which setting I removed. But when I checked again, the Read-only setting was
    back on. Removed. Back on immediately. Closed Firefox. Removed Read-only.
    Back on. Went up a directory level and removed Read-only there. Back on in
    both directories, immediately. Went all the way up to the top of the Mozilla
    hierarchy, removing Read-only. Back on immediately everywhere. (I used
    Windows Explorer to do this--don't know any other way.) Went up to the My
    Programs directory, discovered Read-only turned on there, and was afraid to
    turn it off.

    I'm sure this is an infantile Windows question, but how do I unencumber the
    profile directory? I assume the unworking security component is what's
    stopping Firefox from remembering passwords 'n' stuff at all Web sites.
    (Netscape 7.1, which I also use sometimes, also cannot remember settings
    across sessions.)

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Brad Hill, Jan 29, 2005

  2. Brad Hill

    Z Guest

    Brad Hill wrote:
    > Firefox 1.0 (WinXP Home) gives me this message over and over--
    >
    > "Could not initialize the browser's security component. The most likely
    > cause is problems with files in the browser's profiles directory. Please
    > check the directory and make sure there are no read/write restrictions and
    > your hard disc is not full or close to full."
    >
    > So I found the profile directory and discovered it was set to Read-only,
    > which setting I removed. But when I checked again, the Read-only setting was
    > back on. Removed. Back on immediately. Closed Firefox. Removed Read-only.
    > Back on. Went up a directory level and removed Read-only there. Back on in
    > both directories, immediately. Went all the way up to the top of the Mozilla
    > hierarchy, removing Read-only. Back on immediately everywhere. (I used
    > Windows Explorer to do this--don't know any other way.) Went up to the My
    > Programs directory, discovered Read-only turned on there, and was afraid to
    > turn it off.

    I see that same thing when running XP (Pro) from a limited acct and
    trying to change a directory that I have no permission to change.

    > I'm sure this is an infantile Windows question, but how do I unencumber the
    > profile directory? I assume the unworking security component is what's
    > stopping Firefox from remembering passwords 'n' stuff at all Web sites.
    > (Netscape 7.1, which I also use sometimes, also cannot remember settings
    > across sessions.)

    I can lead you through it for XP Pro, but not sure if this applies to XP
    home ... First, log into an Administrator acct, start Explorer, Tools >
    Folder Options > View ... scroll down to the very bottom ... do you have
    a check box for "Use simple file sharing?"

    If so, uncheck that.

    Once SFS is disabled, you can find the folder whose contents you want to
    change, right click, Properties, Security and give the appropriate user
    or group the necessary permissions.

    Or, a more drastic (but easier) approach would be to give the user acct
    Administrator privileges.

    Z, Jan 29, 2005

  3. Brad Hill

    Brad Hill Guest

    "Z" <> wrote in message news:7sSKd.19453$...
    > Brad Hill wrote:
    > > Firefox 1.0 (WinXP Home) gives me this message over and over--
    > >
    > > "Could not initialize the browser's security component. The most likely
    > > cause is problems with files in the browser's profiles directory. Please
    > > check the directory and make sure there are no read/write restrictions

    and
    > > your hard disc is not full or close to full."
    > >
    > > So I found the profile directory and discovered it was set to Read-only,
    > > which setting I removed. But when I checked again, the Read-only setting

    was
    > > back on. Removed. Back on immediately. Closed Firefox. Removed

    Read-only.
    > > Back on. Went up a directory level and removed Read-only there. Back on

    in
    > > both directories, immediately. Went all the way up to the top of the

    Mozilla
    > > hierarchy, removing Read-only. Back on immediately everywhere. (I used
    > > Windows Explorer to do this--don't know any other way.) Went up to the

    My
    > > Programs directory, discovered Read-only turned on there, and was afraid

    > > turn it off.

    > I see that same thing when running XP (Pro) from a limited acct and
    > trying to change a directory that I have no permission to change.
    >

    > > I'm sure this is an infantile Windows question, but how do I unencumber

    the
    > > profile directory? I assume the unworking security component is what's
    > > stopping Firefox from remembering passwords 'n' stuff at all Web sites.
    > > (Netscape 7.1, which I also use sometimes, also cannot remember settings
    > > across sessions.)

    > I can lead you through it for XP Pro, but not sure if this applies to XP
    > home ... First, log into an Administrator acct, start Explorer, Tools >
    > Folder Options > View ... scroll down to the very bottom ... do you have
    > a check box for "Use simple file sharing?"
    >
    > If so, uncheck that.
    >
    > Once SFS is disabled, you can find the folder whose contents you want to
    > change, right click, Properties, Security and give the appropriate user
    > or group the necessary permissions.
    >
    > Or, a more drastic (but easier) approach would be to give the user acct
    > Administrator privileges.

    Thanks for the help. I have no idea what an Administrative accunt is .. I'm
    just using a home computer. When I look at Explorer > Tools > Folder Options
    > View, there is no "Use simple file sharing."

    What puzzles me is that Firefox created its folders. Why didn't it create
    them the right way?

    Brad

    Brad Hill, Jan 29, 2005
  4. Brad Hill

    Z Guest

    Brad Hill wrote:
    > Thanks for the help. I have no idea what an Administrative accunt is .. I'm

    When you view your acct in Control Panel > User Accounts, does it say
    you are a Computer Administrator or Limited Account?

    > What puzzles me is that Firefox created its folders. Why didn't it create
    > them the right way?

    Good question.

    Z, Jan 30, 2005
  5. Brad Hill

    Brad Hill Guest

    "Z" <> wrote in message news:bFVKd.19514$...
    > Brad Hill wrote:
    > > Thanks for the help. I have no idea what an Administrative accunt is ..

    I'm

    > When you view your acct in Control Panel > User Accounts, does it say
    > you are a Computer Administrator or Limited Account?

    It says I'm a Computer Administrator.

    Brad Hill, Jan 30, 2005
  6. Brad Hill

    Z Guest

    Brad Hill wrote:
    >>>Thanks for the help. I have no idea what an Administrative accunt is ..

    >>When you view your acct in Control Panel > User Accounts, does it say
    >>you are a Computer Administrator or Limited Account?

    > It says I'm a Computer Administrator.

    I'm stuck, then. I have no idea why you can't change the file's permissions.

    Z, Jan 30, 2005
  7. Brad Hill

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:32:22 -0800, in message
    <7sSKd.19453$>, Z wrote:

    > Brad Hill wrote:
    > > Firefox 1.0 (WinXP Home) gives me this message over and over--
    > >
    > > "Could not initialize the browser's security component. The most likely
    > > cause is problems with files in the browser's profiles directory. Please
    > > check the directory and make sure there are no read/write restrictions and
    > > your hard disc is not full or close to full."
    > >
    > > So I found the profile directory

    So which "profile directory" was this that you discovered?

    (a) "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\"

    (b) "C:\Documents and Settings\<<**XP User Name**>>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\????????.default\"
    i.e. the one whose location is given in
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

    > > and discovered it was set to Read-only,
    > > which setting I removed. But when I checked again, the Read-only setting was
    > > back on. Removed. Back on immediately. Closed Firefox. Removed Read-only.
    > > Back on. Went up a directory level and removed Read-only there. Back on in
    > > both directories, immediately. Went all the way up to the top of the Mozilla
    > > hierarchy, removing Read-only. Back on immediately everywhere. (I used
    > > Windows Explorer to do this--don't know any other way.) Went up to the My
    > > Programs directory, discovered Read-only turned on there, and was afraid to
    > > turn it off.

    It sounds to me as if you may have been looking at (a).
    The correct place to have been looking is (b).

    Directory (a) contains default settings for new profiles.
    Directory (b) contains your personal Firefox browser profile.

    > I see that same thing when running XP (Pro) from a limited acct and
    > trying to change a directory that I have no permission to change.

    XP by default does not allow limited accounts to make changes
    to "Program Files" or its subdirectories.

    That's why the user profile directory with its changeable data
    is under Documents and Settings\<<**XP User Name**>>\Application Data"
    and not under "Program Files".

    > > I'm sure this is an infantile Windows question, but how do I unencumber the
    > > profile directory? I assume the unworking security component is what's
    > > stopping Firefox from remembering passwords 'n' stuff at all Web sites.
    > > (Netscape 7.1, which I also use sometimes, also cannot remember settings
    > > across sessions.)

    > I can lead you through it for XP Pro, but not sure if this applies to XP
    > home ... First, log into an Administrator acct, start Explorer, Tools >
    > Folder Options > View ... scroll down to the very bottom ... do you have
    > a check box for "Use simple file sharing?"
    >
    > If so, uncheck that.
    >
    > Once SFS is disabled, you can find the folder whose contents you want to
    > change, right click, Properties, Security and give the appropriate user
    > or group the necessary permissions.

    If this is (a) above, giving the user permissions won't
    solve problems with (b) above.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Change is inevitable. Progress is optional.

    Ralph Fox, Jan 31, 2005
  8. Brad Hill

    Brad Hill Guest

    "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:32:22 -0800, in message
    > <7sSKd.19453$>, Z wrote:
    >
    > > Brad Hill wrote:
    > > > Firefox 1.0 (WinXP Home) gives me this message over and over--
    > > >
    > > > "Could not initialize the browser's security component. The most

    likely
    > > > cause is problems with files in the browser's profiles directory.

    Please
    > > > check the directory and make sure there are no read/write restrictions

    and
    > > > your hard disc is not full or close to full."
    > > >
    > > > So I found the profile directory

    > So which "profile directory" was this that you discovered?
    >
    > (a) "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\"
    >
    > (b) "C:\Documents and Settings\<<**XP User Name**>>\Application

    Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\????????.default\"
    > i.e. the one whose location is given in
    > http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

    Thank you! I changed those directories, and I believe that did the trick.

    I have another question which I'll bundle into this thread. why does Firefox
    take 100 percent of CPU usage for about two seconds, every 15 seconds?
    During those two seconds, my computer effectively freezes until Firefox
    releases the CPU.

    Thanks again.

    Brad Hill, Jan 31, 2005
  9. Brad Hill

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:57:28 -0500, in message
    <>, Brad Hill wrote:

    > Thank you!

    You're welcome.

    > I changed those directories, and I believe that did the trick.

    Good to hear!

    > I have another question which I'll bundle into this thread. why does Firefox
    > take 100 percent of CPU usage for about two seconds, every 15 seconds?
    > During those two seconds, my computer effectively freezes until Firefox
    > releases the CPU.

    I can't answer than one.

    Is it only when displaying certain pages?

    I haven't seen this myself -- except for one particular page
    where a flash banner ad periodically takes all the CPU time
    as it automatically restarts its cycle.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton

    Ralph Fox, Feb 1, 2005
  10. Brad Hill

    Brad Hill Guest

    "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:57:28 -0500, in message
    > <>, Brad Hill wrote:
    >
    > > Thank you!

    > You're welcome.
    >
    > > I changed those directories, and I believe that did the trick.

    > Good to hear!
    >
    > > I have another question which I'll bundle into this thread. why does

    Firefox
    > > take 100 percent of CPU usage for about two seconds, every 15 seconds?
    > > During those two seconds, my computer effectively freezes until Firefox
    > > releases the CPU.

    > I can't answer than one.
    >
    > Is it only when displaying certain pages?

    No, it's all the time. Pretty much prevents me from using Firefox
    devotedly--it doesn't happen w/ Netscape 7.1.

    Brad Hill, Feb 1, 2005
  11. Brad Hill

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 17:06:11 -0500, in message
    <>, Brad Hill wrote:

    > > Is it only when displaying certain pages?

    > No, it's all the time. Pretty much prevents me from using Firefox
    > devotedly--it doesn't happen w/ Netscape 7.1.

    See the thread "Random freeze delay" in alt.netscape.
    Perhaps it may be relevant.

    Ralph Fox, Feb 4, 2005
  12. Brad Hill

    Brad Hill Guest

    "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 17:06:11 -0500, in message
    > <>, Brad Hill wrote:
    >
    > > > Is it only when displaying certain pages?

    > > No, it's all the time. Pretty much prevents me from using Firefox
    > > devotedly--it doesn't happen w/ Netscape 7.1.

    > See the thread "Random freeze delay" in alt.netscape.
    > Perhaps it may be relevant.

    Thanks very much. That thread was indeed helpful.

    Brad Hill, Feb 4, 2005