Security (and other!) problems

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by C Tate, Mar 30, 2006.

  1. C Tate

    C Tate Guest

    I recently set up my wireless network with WPA security. That was fine until
    I discovered my printer wouldn't work. I used a wireless print server
    (Belkin Wireless G USB) and I have since discovered that it doesn't support
    WPA. I think I'm right in saying that. At least there is no mention of it in
    the documentation. Everything talks about WEP.

    Until I can upgrade I decided I would just go for WEP as it is probably
    better than no security at all.

    However, now I cannot seem to get even WEP to work. If the router is WEP
    enabled the printer won't work. I have faffed around until I am blue in the
    face and don't know what I am doing wrong. The documentation is very vague
    about all this pass-phrase and key business. I feel I need a step-by-step
    idiot guide to it all.

    In the meantime I have removed ALL security. However, now the little
    wireless icon in the status bar tells me I am NOT connected to my network,
    even when I clearly am. It used to flash to tell me I was connected to my
    network. Now there is just a red cross through it. Something is clearly not
    right. Any ideas?

    C Tate, Mar 30, 2006