Security and manageability minded LiveCD?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by lbrtchx@gmail.com, Nov 12, 2007.

  1. Guest

    ~
    Hi,
    ~
    I am a LiveCD enthusiast who has been using kanotix, knoppix (since
    its 3.8 version ;-)) and FreesBIE and I have been minding for some
    time about using liveCD's as full blown servers
    ~
    There is little and spotty information on this. yeah! you could
    certainly run apache right off your knoppix distro, but is this the
    way you would actually run your server?
    ~
    Very little is mentioned, if at all, about OS hardening and
    protection such as what you could achieve with open source grsecurity,
    SELinux, PAX, ...
    ~
    You find basically nothing here:
    ~
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_LiveDistros
    ~
    and in his latest (very superficial book)
    ~
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0132432749/
    ~
    "Live Linux(R) CDs: Building and Customizing Bootables", Christopher
    Negus doesn't say anything about it
    ~
    Having something like a base-line sever liveCD that would let you
    easily customize/remaster the rest to your liking would be superb!
    ~
    Probably there is something I am missing here, but I think running
    your OS and the application stack from a live CD would be great, among
    others, for security, manageability and versioning
    ~
    Any ideas, good links your know of?
    ~
    Thanks