Security and dropped connection

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by HowburyPete, Nov 19, 2004.

  1. HowburyPete

    HowburyPete Guest

    Here's the problem.

    Running XP Pro on twocomputers.(no, that's not the problem).

    After a week of happy struggle I have finally managed to get my
    Thinkpad with a KCorp 108g wireless card to connect to both the
    internet ( a shared adsl) and my home network.

    It does so via a KCorp wireless router, a LAN port of which is plugged
    into a LAN port on my Demon-supplied Speedtouch router/adsl modem.

    The problem is that I can only make that connection on a totally
    unsecured connection. Any attempt to enable wireless security and the
    connection drops every few seconds.

    My router doesn't have a usb port, so I can't use XPs automatic
    wizard. But I have cut and pasted the key, so I know it's accurate.

    The thing is, I get no error messages - it just won't connect.

    Any help gratefully received...

    TIA
    Pete

    HowburyPete, Nov 19, 2004

  2. HowburyPete

    Malke Guest

    HowburyPete wrote:

    > Here's the problem.
    >
    > Running XP Pro on twocomputers.(no, that's not the problem).
    >
    > After a week of happy struggle I have finally managed to get my
    > Thinkpad with a KCorp 108g wireless card to connect to both the
    > internet ( a shared adsl) and my home network.
    >
    > It does so via a KCorp wireless router, a LAN port of which is plugged
    > into a LAN port on my Demon-supplied Speedtouch router/adsl modem.
    >
    > The problem is that I can only make that connection on a totally
    > unsecured connection. Any attempt to enable wireless security and the
    > connection drops every few seconds.
    >
    > My router doesn't have a usb port, so I can't use XPs automatic
    > wizard. But I have cut and pasted the key, so I know it's accurate.
    >
    > The thing is, I get no error messages - it just won't connect.
    >
    > Any help gratefully received...
    >
    > TIA
    > Pete

    Are you using a connection manager by KCorp that came with the card,
    IBM's connection manager, or the Windows manager? I have a ThinkPad X31
    and when I was ready to go to SP2 I checked on IBM's website for
    caveats. They mentioned that their connection manager would probably
    stop working with SP2 and it did. I switched over to letting Windows
    manage the wireless and could then connect with no problem. Even if you
    don't have XP SP2, if you are using third-party connection software,
    check on the mftr.'s website for updates or try letting Windows manage
    it.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Nov 19, 2004

  3. HowburyPete

    HowburyPete Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 05:25:18 -0800, Malke <>
    wrote:

    >HowburyPete wrote:

    <snip>

    >> The problem is that I can only make that connection on a totally
    >> unsecured connection. Any attempt to enable wireless security and the
    >> connection drops every few seconds.
    >>
    >> My router doesn't have a usb port, so I can't use XPs automatic
    >> wizard. But I have cut and pasted the key, so I know it's accurate.
    >>
    >> The thing is, I get no error messages - it just won't connect.
    >>
    >> Any help gratefully received...
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Pete

    >Are you using a connection manager by KCorp that came with the card,
    >IBM's connection manager, or the Windows manager? I have a ThinkPad X31
    >and when I was ready to go to SP2 I checked on IBM's website for
    >caveats. They mentioned that their connection manager would probably
    >stop working with SP2 and it did. I switched over to letting Windows
    >manage the wireless and could then connect with no problem. Even if you
    >don't have XP SP2, if you are using third-party connection software,
    >check on the mftr.'s website for updates or try letting Windows manage
    >it.
    >
    >Malke

    No, no third party software. I've got windows (yes, I have sp2)
    managing wireless networks. It sets up a default network, but only
    with an open connection. If I try and change it to a secure connection
    - it drops every few seconds.

    HowburyPete, Nov 19, 2004
  4. HowburyPete

    Malke Guest

    HowburyPete wrote:

    > On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 05:25:18 -0800, Malke <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>HowburyPete wrote:
    >>

    > <snip>
    >>>
    >>> The problem is that I can only make that connection on a totally
    >>> unsecured connection. Any attempt to enable wireless security and
    >>> the connection drops every few seconds.
    >>>
    >>> My router doesn't have a usb port, so I can't use XPs automatic
    >>> wizard. But I have cut and pasted the key, so I know it's accurate.
    >>>
    >>> The thing is, I get no error messages - it just won't connect.
    >>>
    >>> Any help gratefully received...
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> Pete

    >>Are you using a connection manager by KCorp that came with the card,
    >>IBM's connection manager, or the Windows manager? I have a ThinkPad
    >>X31 and when I was ready to go to SP2 I checked on IBM's website for
    >>caveats. They mentioned that their connection manager would probably
    >>stop working with SP2 and it did. I switched over to letting Windows
    >>manage the wireless and could then connect with no problem. Even if
    >>you don't have XP SP2, if you are using third-party connection
    >>software, check on the mftr.'s website for updates or try letting
    >>Windows manage it.
    >>
    >>Malke

    > No, no third party software. I've got windows (yes, I have sp2)
    > managing wireless networks. It sets up a default network, but only
    > with an open connection. If I try and change it to a secure connection
    > - it drops every few seconds.

    Darn. I was hoping it was easy. :-( The odd thing is that my experience
    with XP and wireless networking is just the opposite of yours - I find
    it *doesn't* do well on an unsecured network. I'm unfamiliar with the
    wireless hardware you're using. I'd look on KCorp's site for firmware
    and driver updates, and if that doesn't work call their tech support.
    Maybe this is a known issue with their products and XPSP2.

    Sorry I didn't have a definite answer for you. Best of luck,

    Malke

    Malke, Nov 19, 2004
  5. HowburyPete

    HowburyPete Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:33:51 -0800, Malke <>
    wrote:

    >HowburyPete wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 05:25:18 -0800, Malke <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>HowburyPete wrote:
    >>>

    >> <snip>

    >>>Are you using a connection manager by KCorp that came with the card,
    >>>IBM's connection manager, or the Windows manager? I have a ThinkPad
    >>>X31 and when I was ready to go to SP2 I checked on IBM's website for
    >>>caveats. They mentioned that their connection manager would probably
    >>>stop working with SP2 and it did. I switched over to letting Windows
    >>>manage the wireless and could then connect with no problem. Even if
    >>>you don't have XP SP2, if you are using third-party connection
    >>>software, check on the mftr.'s website for updates or try letting
    >>>Windows manage it.
    >>>
    >>>Malke

    >> No, no third party software. I've got windows (yes, I have sp2)
    >> managing wireless networks. It sets up a default network, but only
    >> with an open connection. If I try and change it to a secure connection
    >> - it drops every few seconds.

    >Darn. I was hoping it was easy. :-( The odd thing is that my experience
    >with XP and wireless networking is just the opposite of yours - I find
    >it *doesn't* do well on an unsecured network. I'm unfamiliar with the
    >wireless hardware you're using. I'd look on KCorp's site for firmware
    >and driver updates, and if that doesn't work call their tech support.
    >Maybe this is a known issue with their products and XPSP2.
    >
    >Sorry I didn't have a definite answer for you. Best of luck,
    >
    >Malke

    Thanks anyway Malke - and for a good deal of previous help. If I sort
    it, I'll let you lnow...

    HowburyPete, Nov 19, 2004