Security Alert - then floods of empty IE6 windows

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Terry Pinnell, Mar 7, 2008.

  1. I'm getting some very bizarre behaviour here. I'm in a program called
    Magix Movie Edit Pro - although I don't think that's necessarily going
    to prove central to the issue. I click a button that's supposed to
    take me to an online site for downloading video resources. A window
    appears titled 'Security Alert'. Its message is: "You are about to
    leave a secure Internet connection. It will be possible for others to
    view information you send. Do you want to continue?" That's a fairly
    familiar window - from a web browser - but as I said, I'm not.

    Anyway, I clicked No. That started a unstoppable flood of 'empty' IE6
    windows! All titled something like 'No page to display'. Within
    seconds I had over a hundred covering the desktop. And I don't even
    *use* IE - my browser is Firefox. XP Home Task Manager brought an end
    to this, but I had to force closure of Movie Edit Pro and then IE6.

    'Yes' takes me to the site, where I'm asked to register. I decline, so
    close that page. That returns me to the 3 options.

    'More Info' gives a window titled 'What's new in Internet Explorer'!
    Where does that come from? Its content is the familiar one: "Entering
    a non-secure Web site from a secure Web site. The Web site you were
    viewing was a secure site. A secure Web site provides secure
    communication and has a valid certificate. blah blah ... If you do not
    feel confident about viewing this site, click No."

    Which is where I came in...

    Can anyone offer any clue as to what might be going on here please?
    Needless to say, I've emailed Magix Support, but another Magix user
    couldn't duplicate the behaviour so somehow I have a feeling this is
    an obscure conflict or XP issue.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Mar 7, 2008

  2. Terry Pinnell

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 18:41:50 +0000, Terry Pinnell
    <> wrote:

    >I'm getting some very bizarre behaviour here. I'm in a program called
    >Magix Movie Edit Pro - although I don't think that's necessarily going
    >to prove central to the issue. I click a button that's supposed to
    >take me to an online site for downloading video resources. A window
    >appears titled 'Security Alert'. Its message is: "You are about to
    >leave a secure Internet connection. It will be possible for others to
    >view information you send. Do you want to continue?" That's a fairly
    >familiar window - from a web browser - but as I said, I'm not.
    >
    >Anyway, I clicked No. That started a unstoppable flood of 'empty' IE6
    >windows! All titled something like 'No page to display'. Within
    >seconds I had over a hundred covering the desktop. And I don't even
    >*use* IE - my browser is Firefox. XP Home Task Manager brought an end
    >to this, but I had to force closure of Movie Edit Pro and then IE6.
    >
    >'Yes' takes me to the site, where I'm asked to register. I decline, so
    >close that page. That returns me to the 3 options.
    >
    >'More Info' gives a window titled 'What's new in Internet Explorer'!
    >Where does that come from? Its content is the familiar one: "Entering
    >a non-secure Web site from a secure Web site. The Web site you were
    >viewing was a secure site. A secure Web site provides secure
    >communication and has a valid certificate. blah blah ... If you do not
    >feel confident about viewing this site, click No."
    >
    >Which is where I came in...
    >
    >Can anyone offer any clue as to what might be going on here please?
    >Needless to say, I've emailed Magix Support, but another Magix user
    >couldn't duplicate the behaviour so somehow I have a feeling this is
    >an obscure conflict or XP issue.

    Go into IE and turn off javascript and activex.
    Those multiple windows are opened by a script.
    And you might want to check for a virus and malware.

    richard, Mar 7, 2008

  3. Terry Pinnell

    ded Guest

    "Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message

    Removed > convoluted problem details>

    Type into search: "sites blocking firefox"
    Here is just one example from thousands:
    http://www.webmaster-source.com/2007/08/18/dont-block-firefox/

    Many sites are not happy with FF ad-blocking and other add-on's.
    Your problem has the symptoms of a site that tries to open in IE
    but the default browser is FF of which the site concerned is designed
    not to be compatible with.
    This is a growing problem and it's been around a long time.

    If you are a registered user of Magix software then visit their support
    site - it is only available to registered users who have allowed borderline
    spyware cookies so magix knows who is getting what from their site.
    Once you have got through Magix barriers to their support site check
    the FAQ and knowledgebase, I suspect you will find it is only accessible
    via IE7, but if FF is allowed you will find instructions how to disable the
    forbidden add-on's and ad-blocking utillity within FF that maybe causing
    the problems.

    ded, Mar 7, 2008
  4. Terry Pinnell

    pcbutts1 Guest

    You should have clicked yes.

    pcbutts1, Mar 7, 2008
  5. Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    >I'm getting some very bizarre behaviour here. I'm in a program called
    >Magix Movie Edit Pro - although I don't think that's necessarily going
    >to prove central to the issue. I click a button that's supposed to
    >take me to an online site for downloading video resources. A window
    >appears titled 'Security Alert'. Its message is: "You are about to
    >leave a secure Internet connection. It will be possible for others to
    >view information you send. Do you want to continue?" That's a fairly
    >familiar window - from a web browser - but as I said, I'm not.
    >
    >Anyway, I clicked No. That started a unstoppable flood of 'empty' IE6
    >windows! All titled something like 'No page to display'. Within
    >seconds I had over a hundred covering the desktop. And I don't even
    >*use* IE - my browser is Firefox. XP Home Task Manager brought an end
    >to this, but I had to force closure of Movie Edit Pro and then IE6.
    >
    >'Yes' takes me to the site, where I'm asked to register. I decline, so
    >close that page. That returns me to the 3 options.
    >
    >'More Info' gives a window titled 'What's new in Internet Explorer'!
    >Where does that come from? Its content is the familiar one: "Entering
    >a non-secure Web site from a secure Web site. The Web site you were
    >viewing was a secure site. A secure Web site provides secure
    >communication and has a valid certificate. blah blah ... If you do not
    >feel confident about viewing this site, click No."
    >
    >Which is where I came in...
    >
    >Can anyone offer any clue as to what might be going on here please?
    >Needless to say, I've emailed Magix Support, but another Magix user
    >couldn't duplicate the behaviour so somehow I have a feeling this is
    >an obscure conflict or XP issue.

    In case anyone else with a similar problem ends up in this thread,
    here is first response by Magix in the forum:

    "This is rather not a MEP bug, more a browser/webpage issue. While IE
    works fine with loading the catooh page, firefox seem to have security
    issues. I forwarded that info to the webpage administration."

    I've promptly replied that I disagree with the wording. IMO it's
    definitely a bug if it happens whenever a Firefox user clicks that
    button! Hard-coding a program to IE should IMO be strongly
    discouraged.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Mar 9, 2008
  6. Terry Pinnell

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hard-coding a program to IE should IMO be strongly
    > discouraged.

    Many website developers don't follow standards and take the IE way out,
    IE is more forgiving than browsers that follow the standards.

    If the developer doesn't test with IE/Firefox on a MAC/PC/Linux they are
    not doing the project justice.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"