securing w/l cnnction?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by hankus, Jul 17, 2007.

  1. hankus

    hankus Guest

    I have tried to secure my n/w.I have one cabled comp and two others via
    wireless.tried to install McAfee total protection and after much time I was
    told the firmware of my router was not compatible McA tech support wants to
    know what the firmware is for my router and I do not know what to tell
    them...should I go this way or is there another way to secure my w/less n/w?

    ISP: Cox Cable Modem manufacturer: NETGEAR WG511v2

    Operating System: Windows XP Pro

    --
    Thanks
    Hank
    hankus, Jul 17, 2007

  2. Hi
    Log to the Router interface (if you do not know how look at the manual),
    there is an information menu that would state the version number of the
    firmware.
    BTW, if it was up to me I would get rid of the security suit and find a
    better one instead of playing with the Router.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 18, 2007

  3. hankus

    hankus Guest

    Could i depend on the setup that came with the Netgear router?

    --
    Thanks
    Hank

    hankus, Jul 18, 2007
  4. hankus

    Lem Guest

    hankus wrote:
    > Could i depend on the setup that came with the Netgear router?

    There are several aspects to securing your network.

    With respect to the wireless connections, your McAfee suite won't help
    much, if at all. You need to enable encryption on the router and on
    each wireless client. If both clients and the router support it, use
    WPA2. Otherwise use WPA. Do not use WEP. The "NETGEAR WG511v2" is not
    your router. This is the model number of PCMCIA cards used as wireless
    adapters for laptops. The router is the box that is connected to your
    cable or DSL modem.

    In addition to wireless encryption, you need a firewall, antivirus
    protection, and anti-malware protection

    Firewall
    Most modern home routers include both NAT (network address translation)
    and a firewall of some sort. Many find that this, plus the built-in
    Windows XP sp2 "Windows Firewall," is sufficient. The main deficiency
    is that this arrangement does not detect out-going unauthorized
    communcations (e.g., you install some malware that then attempts to
    phone home with your personal data).

    Antivirus
    Many posters in these Microsoft newsgroups highly recommend free
    antivirus applications rather than commercial apps such as McAfee or
    Symantec (Norton). Two apps often suggested are AVG and AVAST. NOD32
    also is recommended, but not free.

    If you want to provoke a rather lengthy discussion, post "what is the
    best antivirus" or "what is the best firewall" in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general. About the only thing you will get
    agreement on is to not use either the Symantec or the McAfee security
    suites.

    Anti-malware
    Download, frequently update, and regularly scan with
    Spybot Search and Destroy http://www.safer-networking.net/en/index.html
    and
    Ad-Aware (free version)
    http://www.lavasoft.com/download_an...hp?PHPSESSID=3f671f575c7f4cb46948e38078d4977e

    > Log to the Router interface (if you do not know how look at the manual),
    > there is an information menu that would state the version number of the
    > firmware.
    > BTW, if it was up to me I would get rid of the security suit and find a
    > better one instead of playing with the Router.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "hankus" <> wrote in message
    >> >I have tried to secure my n/w.I have one cabled comp and two others via
    >> >wireless.tried to install McAfee total protection and after much time I was
    >> >told the firmware of my router was not compatible McA tech support wants to
    >> >know what the firmware is for my router and I do not know what to tell
    >> >them...should I go this way or is there another way to secure my w/less
    >> >n/w?
    >> >
    >> > ISP: Cox Cable Modem manufacturer: NETGEAR WG511v2
    >> >
    >> > Operating System: Windows XP Pro

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Jul 18, 2007
  5. Hi
    To echo parts of Lem post and some more.
    Wireless security protects you only form local neighbors leaching onto your
    Wireless.
    Wireless security has nothing to do with the Internet and does not protect
    you from Internet “Junk”.
    The master setting of Wireless security is in the Wireless Router and these
    are the guidelines.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
    WEP128___(Hard, but possible to Brake).
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    As far as the Internet connection goes, this page explains what the Router
    can do for you and what you need to boost it up.
    http://ezlan.net/firewall.html
    Here additional suggestions to Free Security Applications,
    http://ezlan.net/security.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 18, 2007