    I could copy to a text file and lock in an encrypted drive but this seem
    very longwinded and then we have the issue about cookies/java.

    TIA

    Use-Less, Jan 2, 2006

  2. Use-Less

    DC Guest

    Use-Less wrote:
    > Is there anyway of protecting certain URL's on XP Firefox PC?
    > I could copy to a text file and lock in an encrypted drive but this seem
    > very longwinded and then we have the issue about cookies/java.

    Please forgive my ignorance, but I haven't a clue what you are on about.

    Could you repeat that in English? Begin by explaining what a "XP
    Firefox PC" is.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many'
    and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

    DC, Jan 2, 2006

  3. Use-Less

    Use-Less Guest

    "DC" <> wrote ...
    > Use-Less wrote:
    > > Is there anyway of protecting certain URL's on XP Firefox PC?
    > > I could copy to a text file and lock in an encrypted drive but this seem
    > > very longwinded and then we have the issue about cookies/java.

    > Please forgive my ignorance, but I haven't a clue what you are on about.
    >
    > Could you repeat that in English? Begin by explaining what a "XP
    > Firefox PC" is.

    Ah sorry I see you use Linux in which case it probably is a foreign language
    then again maybe I just wasn't very clear :)

    OS = XP
    Firefox = Browser
    PC = Personal Computer

    I would like to protect some bookmarks and looking for a simple solution to
    do so. Maybe a plugin or some alternative short hand method.
    TIA

    Use-Less, Jan 2, 2006
  4. Use-Less

    DC Guest

    Use-Less wrote:
    > "DC" <> wrote ...
    >> Use-Less wrote:
    >> > Is there anyway of protecting certain URL's on XP Firefox PC?
    >> > I could copy to a text file and lock in an encrypted drive but this seem
    >> > very longwinded and then we have the issue about cookies/java.

    >> Please forgive my ignorance, but I haven't a clue what you are on about.

    >> Could you repeat that in English? Begin by explaining what a "XP
    >> Firefox PC" is.

    > Ah sorry I see you use Linux in which case it probably is a foreign language

    What is *it*? You mean that jumble of nonsense, above?

    > then again maybe I just wasn't very clear :)

    Yes, that would be it.

    > OS = XP
    > Firefox = Browser
    > PC = Personal Computer

    Ah, I see. I must be spending too much time in bar molson canadian
    booth by window.

    > I would like to protect some bookmarks and looking for a simple solution to
    > do so. Maybe a plugin or some alternative short hand method.
    > TIA

    Protect them from *what*? Liberals?

    What do you mean by "protect"?

    DC, Jan 2, 2006
  5. Use-Less wrote:

    > Is there anyway of protecting certain URL's on XP Firefox PC?

    What do you mean "protecting certain URL's"? Protecting them from what?
    Protecting them where?

    > I could copy to a text file and lock in an encrypted drive but this seem

    Copy what to a text file? The character string of the URL?

    > very longwinded and then we have the issue about cookies/java.

    You don't seem to be making any sense. Try making sense and you'll
    probably get some assistance.

    --
    Blinky Reg Linux User 297263
    Killfiling all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 2, 2006
  6. Use-Less

    Useless Guest

    "DC" <> wrote
    > > I would like to protect some bookmarks and looking for a simple

    solution to
    > > do so. Maybe a plugin or some alternative short hand method.
    > > TIA

    > Protect them from *what*? Liberals?

    Pwease

    > What do you mean by "protect"?

    Oh FFS!

    Prevent from unauthorised access ... jeez

    Useless, Jan 3, 2006
  7. Use-Less

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-01-02, Use-Less <> wrote:
    > "DC" <> wrote ...
    >> Use-Less wrote:
    >> > Is there anyway of protecting certain URL's on XP Firefox PC?
    >> > I could copy to a text file and lock in an encrypted drive but this seem
    >> > very longwinded and then we have the issue about cookies/java.

    >> Please forgive my ignorance, but I haven't a clue what you are on about.
    >>
    >> Could you repeat that in English? Begin by explaining what a "XP
    >> Firefox PC" is.

    > Ah sorry I see you use Linux in which case it probably is a foreign language
    > then again maybe I just wasn't very clear :)
    >
    > OS = XP
    > Firefox = Browser
    > PC = Personal Computer
    >
    > I would like to protect some bookmarks and looking for a simple solution to
    > do so. Maybe a plugin or some alternative short hand method.
    > TIA

    If you want to store porn and warez bookmarks on a computer without anyone
    else being able to see where you go, then install Linux or Unix (any
    distro) and don't tell anyone the passwords for your user or for 'root'
    (and do not set up the boot process to automatically open your user
    account!). You might want to set up as an ISP too, so that you are in
    control of the ISP logs that record all your internet activity. That part
    could be expensive though. Then you only need to worry about the IP logs
    kept by the hosts of the sites you visit.

    If you are confident about the physical security you could provide for it,
    you could put a browser onto a USB 'key' and use that for your furtive
    activities. (There are complete Linux distros that can be installed on a
    USB key.)

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jan 3, 2006
  8. Use-Less

    Useless Guest

    "Whiskers" <> wrote ...

    > > I would like to protect some bookmarks and looking for a simple solution

    > > do so. Maybe a plugin or some alternative short hand method.
    > > TIA

    > If you want to store porn and warez bookmarks on a computer without anyone
    > else being able to see where you go, then install Linux or Unix (any
    > distro) and don't tell anyone the passwords for your user or for 'root'
    > (and do not set up the boot process to automatically open your user

    Thanks for the response but why does everyone have to be a smartarse. The
    bookmarks are neither pr0n nor warez there is more to the net than that.

    > account!). You might want to set up as an ISP too, so that you are in
    > control of the ISP logs that record all your internet activity. That part
    > could be expensive though. Then you only need to worry about the IP logs
    > kept by the hosts of the sites you visit.

    Again inferring nefarious activity. I merely want to obscure some URL's and
    thought just maybe a plugin existed. I don't want to use Tor/Privoxy, lock
    down the PC but just hide a few URL's.

    > If you are confident about the physical security you could provide for it,
    > you could put a browser onto a USB 'key' and use that for your furtive
    > activities. (There are complete Linux distros that can be installed on a
    > USB key.)

    Now that's a worthwhile suggestion. I'm sure it's also applicable to
    Windows.

    Useless, Jan 4, 2006
  9. Use-Less

    Mitch Guest

    In article <43bb502e$0$72436$>,
    Useless <> wrote:

    > > If you are confident about the physical security you could provide for it,
    > > you could put a browser onto a USB 'key' and use that for your furtive
    > > activities. (There are complete Linux distros that can be installed on a
    > > USB key.)

    > Now that's a worthwhile suggestion. I'm sure it's also applicable to
    > Windows.

    Heh. Hardly.
    How big is the USB flash device you were thinking of using?
    How fast?
    Will your version of Windows allow starting up from USB?

    Mitch, Jan 4, 2006
  10. Use-Less

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:43b9d9a1$0$1210$,
    Useless spewed forth:
    > "DC" <> wrote
    >>> I would like to protect some bookmarks and looking for a simple
    >>> solution to do so. Maybe a plugin or some alternative short hand
    >>> method. TIA

    >> Protect them from *what*? Liberals?

    > Pwease
    >
    >> What do you mean by "protect"?

    > Oh FFS!
    >
    > Prevent from unauthorised access ... jeez

    URLs are public information - what sense is there in trying to "prevent from
    unauthorised access"? That's like trying to hide the "Golden Arches" in
    front of McDonalds. The burger joint is still there...anyone who wants a
    burger can go there even if the arches are hidden.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 4, 2006
  11. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > In news:43b9d9a1$0$1210$,
    > Useless spewed forth:
    >> "DC" <> wrote
    >>>
    >>> Protect them from *what*? Liberals?

    >> Pwease
    >>
    >>> What do you mean by "protect"?

    >> Oh FFS!
    >>
    >> Prevent from unauthorised access ... jeez

    > URLs are public information - what sense is there in trying to "prevent from
    > unauthorised access"? That's like trying to hide the "Golden Arches" in
    > front of McDonalds. The burger joint is still there...anyone who wants a
    > burger can go there even if the arches are hidden.

    I think he just want to hide his bookmarks.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 4, 2006
  12. Use-Less

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:p,
    Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> In news:43b9d9a1$0$1210$,
    >> Useless spewed forth:
    >>> "DC" <> wrote

    >>> Pwease

    >>> Oh FFS!
    >>>
    >>> Prevent from unauthorised access ... jeez

    >> URLs are public information - what sense is there in trying to
    >> "prevent from unauthorised access"? That's like trying to hide the
    >> "Golden Arches" in front of McDonalds. The burger joint is still
    >> there...anyone who wants a burger can go there even if the arches
    >> are hidden.

    > I think he just want to hide his bookmarks.

    Yeah. But why? How come so many people post here wanting to hide what they
    are doing? Maybe they are surfing for personal use on company time? A no-no.
    I hope they get fired. Or maybe they don't want their spouse to know they
    are downloading porn? A no-no. I hope they get caught and work through the
    real issues (I won't go into what those might be...)

    Toolman Tim, Jan 4, 2006
  13. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > In news:p, Blinky the
    > Shark spewed forth:
    >> Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >>> In news:43b9d9a1$0$1210$,
    >>> Useless spewed forth:

    >>> URLs are public information - what sense is there in trying to "prevent
    >>> from unauthorised access"? That's like trying to hide the "Golden
    >>> Arches" in front of McDonalds. The burger joint is still there...anyone
    >>> who wants a burger can go there even if the arches are hidden.

    >> I think he just want to hide his bookmarks.

    > Yeah. But why? How come so many people post here wanting to hide what they
    > are doing? Maybe they are surfing for personal use on company time? A
    > no-no. I hope they get fired. Or maybe they don't want their spouse to
    > know they are downloading porn? A no-no. I hope they get caught and work
    > through the real issues (I won't go into what those might be...)

    All of the above. When I get down on that kind of privacy, I have to
    remind myself that everyone doesn't live alone, as I choose to after my
    divorces, so everyone doesn't enjoy the simplicity and inherent privacy
    that provides. As for using the boss's desktop, everyone in my end of the
    biz brings their laptops and surfs wireless. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 4, 2006
  14. Use-Less

    Use-More Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    > >> I think he just want to hide his bookmarks.

    > > Yeah. But why? How come so many people post here wanting to hide what

    they
    > > are doing? Maybe they are surfing for personal use on company time? A
    > > no-no. I hope they get fired. Or maybe they don't want their spouse to
    > > know they are downloading porn? A no-no. I hope they get caught and work
    > > through the real issues (I won't go into what those might be...)

    > All of the above. When I get down on that kind of privacy, I have to
    > remind myself that everyone doesn't live alone, as I choose to after my
    > divorces, so everyone doesn't enjoy the simplicity and inherent privacy
    > that provides. As for using the boss's desktop, everyone in my end of the
    > biz brings their laptops and surfs wireless. :)

    Always in search of the dark side ... huh guys.
    I personally wouldn't want to lock down a PC just because I browse mental
    health forums merely obscure those bookmarks. There are some thing people
    don't need to know.

    Use-More, Jan 4, 2006
  15. Use-More wrote:

    >> > Yeah. But why? How come so many people post here wanting to hide what

    > they
    >> > are doing? Maybe they are surfing for personal use on company time? A
    >> > no-no. I hope they get fired. Or maybe they don't want their spouse to
    >> > know they are downloading porn? A no-no. I hope they get caught and
    >> > work through the real issues (I won't go into what those might be...)

    >> All of the above. When I get down on that kind of privacy, I have to
    >> remind myself that everyone doesn't live alone, as I choose to after my
    >> divorces, so everyone doesn't enjoy the simplicity and inherent privacy
    >> that provides. As for using the boss's desktop, everyone in my end of
    >> the biz brings their laptops and surfs wireless. :)

    > Always in search of the dark side ... huh guys. I personally wouldn't want
    > to lock down a PC just because I browse mental health forums merely
    > obscure those bookmarks. There are some thing people don't need to know.

    There was no "dark side" presented in my post -- the one you responded to.
    I said that privacy is a valid consideration for those in certain
    circumstances.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 4, 2006
  16. Use-Less

    Use-More Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote

    > > they

    > >> All of the above. When I get down on that kind of privacy, I have to
    > >> remind myself that everyone doesn't live alone, as I choose to after my
    > >> divorces, so everyone doesn't enjoy the simplicity and inherent privacy
    > >> that provides. As for using the boss's desktop, everyone in my end of
    > >> the biz brings their laptops and surfs wireless. :)

    > > Always in search of the dark side ... huh guys. I personally wouldn't

    want
    > > to lock down a PC just because I browse mental health forums merely
    > > obscure those bookmarks. There are some thing people don't need to know.

    > There was no "dark side" presented in my post -- the one you responded to.
    > I said that privacy is a valid consideration for those in certain
    > circumstances.

    Fair enough. I took your comment "all of the above" to be in agreement with
    Toolman Tim. Pot kettle black ... I guess I jumped to conclusions.

    Use-More, Jan 5, 2006
  17. Use-Less

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-01-04, Toolman Tim <> wrote:
    > In news:43b9d9a1$0$1210$,
    > Useless spewed forth:
    >> "DC" <> wrote
    >>>
    >>> Protect them from *what*? Liberals?

    >> Pwease
    >>
    >>> What do you mean by "protect"?

    >> Oh FFS!
    >>
    >> Prevent from unauthorised access ... jeez

    > URLs are public information - what sense is there in trying to "prevent from
    > unauthorised access"? That's like trying to hide the "Golden Arches" in
    > front of McDonalds. The burger joint is still there...anyone who wants a
    > burger can go there even if the arches are hidden.

    We seem here to be more in the 'vegetarian slimming-scam-promoter not
    wanting to be seen eating the greasy meat-related-food-substitute' area
    rather than in the 'hide the fast-food joint' area.

    Privacy seems to be something that Windows lacks; access to the keyboard
    apparently means access to pretty much everything left on the HD. That
    has certainly been my experience. So of you want to use Windows and still
    have secrets, make sure that no-one else has access to that computer.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jan 5, 2006
  18. Use-Less

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-01-04, Use-More <> wrote:

    >> > Yeah. But why? How come so many people post here wanting to hide what they
    >> > are doing? Maybe they are surfing for personal use on company time? A
    >> > no-no. I hope they get fired. Or maybe they don't want their spouse to
    >> > know they are downloading porn? A no-no. I hope they get caught and work
    >> > through the real issues (I won't go into what those might be...)

    >> All of the above. When I get down on that kind of privacy, I have to
    >> remind myself that everyone doesn't live alone, as I choose to after my
    >> divorces, so everyone doesn't enjoy the simplicity and inherent privacy
    >> that provides. As for using the boss's desktop, everyone in my end of the
    >> biz brings their laptops and surfs wireless. :)

    > Always in search of the dark side ... huh guys.
    > I personally wouldn't want to lock down a PC just because I browse mental
    > health forums merely obscure those bookmarks. There are some thing people
    > don't need to know.

    My contributions to mental health newsgroups are a matter of public
    record. I'm sorry that you feel the need to hide your interest from your
    household or colleagues; I can understand the feeling, but the stigma
    attached to mental illness is part of the problem, and a part that we can
    ourselves help to remove by refusing to perpetuate or succumb to it. That
    takes courage, I know, but the place to start is with those closest to us.

    The use of an obvious 'screen name' instead of ones 'real name' is
    sufficient protection against unwanted intrusion into ones privacy from
    strangers, in my experience. Just stick to one name, if you want to be
    taken seriously ;))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jan 5, 2006
  19. Use-Less

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Whiskers spewed forth:
    > On 2006-01-04, Use-More <> wrote:

    >>> All of the above. When I get down on that kind of privacy, I have
    >>> to remind myself that everyone doesn't live alone, as I choose to
    >>> after my divorces, so everyone doesn't enjoy the simplicity and
    >>> inherent privacy that provides. As for using the boss's desktop,
    >>> everyone in my end of the biz brings their laptops and surfs
    >>> wireless. :)

    >> Always in search of the dark side ... huh guys.
    >> I personally wouldn't want to lock down a PC just because I browse
    >> mental health forums merely obscure those bookmarks. There are some
    >> thing people don't need to know.

    > My contributions to mental health newsgroups are a matter of public
    > record. I'm sorry that you feel the need to hide your interest from
    > your household or colleagues; I can understand the feeling, but the
    > stigma attached to mental illness is part of the problem, and a part
    > that we can ourselves help to remove by refusing to perpetuate or
    > succumb to it. That takes courage, I know, but the place to start is
    > with those closest to us.
    >
    > The use of an obvious 'screen name' instead of ones 'real name' is
    > sufficient protection against unwanted intrusion into ones privacy
    > from strangers, in my experience. Just stick to one name, if you
    > want to be taken seriously ;))

    Well said. And it's not just mental illness: it could be drug or alchohol
    problems, gambling addictions, kleptomania, any number of topics that still
    carry an inappropriate stigma. For someone wanting to research or
    participate (for personal or professional reasons) it is most important that
    the people closely associated (especially family) are brought into the
    equation.

    I have an addiction with an associated mental disorder (it doesn't matter
    here what it is, so don't ask <g>). One of the hardest things in my life was
    to tell my parents about it. But where am I getting the most support? From
    them. And if I had hid the problem (which I could have) then I would be
    lacking my best support options.

    Then again, if I was *not* wanting help, I'd sure be covering my tracks.
    Which is why I feel the way I do about people covering their surfing habits.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 5, 2006