Securing laptop for park-bench hot spots (newbie question)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by David D., Jan 15, 2005.

  1. David D.

    David D. Guest

    Increasingly, municipalities are offering free hot spot internet connections
    in city parks. Philadelphia has four so far, with more planned.

    How should I configure my Windows XP laptop to secure it for use in this
    type of public area?

    I have no background in wi-fi, and I have found the info published on the
    web overwhelmingly comprehensive. What I am looking for is a simple
    recommendation for client-side settings for an XP laptop in an environment
    where I have no knowledge of or control over server or access point
    security. I want to close off all peer-to-peer access, and securely
    encrypt client-to-gateway transmissions.

    I realize that no security measures (especially in a public wireless
    environment) is 100%, but what is the best that I can do, and what are the
    remaining vulnerabilities?

    If there is an FAQ that lists the recommended settings, kindly point me to
    it.

    David D.
    David D., Jan 15, 2005

  2. In a Hot SPot, you will not be able to encrypt or set any type of peer to
    peer security settings, with an exception of a firewall program.

    Robert Jacobs, Jan 15, 2005

  3. David D.

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    Wireless security is a Point to specific point security.

    I.e. The source and the client have to be configured with the exact same
    security parameters.

    When you use public Spots you can not configure ant Wireless security since
    the source is not under your control.

    Beside a good Firewall I would suggest to Switch Off File sharing in the
    laptop. Doing so will protect your files from being coincidently exposed to
    the Network.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jan 15, 2005
  4. David D.

    Jeff Guest

    Download the lastest service pack (SP2). Turn on the
    firewall and disable the file/print sharing. Also
    download Spybot Search and Destroy. Turn on the TeaTimer
    as this monitors your registry so that if someone does
    bypass your firewall, any time someone tries to edit you
    registry it will warn you.

    Jeff, Jan 19, 2005