    I secure my wireless connection so that only these three computers can access
    the internet independently but still ensure other computers do not connect to
    my connection? Thanks in advance.

    =?Utf-8?B?QWtzaGF5?=, Jul 22, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QWtzaGF5?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    May be this can Help, Wireless Security -

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jul 22, 2006

  3. Thanks. I had a look at it and none of it makes sense. I have no software
    that came with the router. I'm a total dumbass when it comes to wireless :(

    =?Utf-8?B?QWtzaGF5?=, Jul 23, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QWtzaGF5?=

    Malke Guest

    Akshay wrote:

    > Thanks. I had a look at it and none of it makes sense. I have no software
    > that came with the router. I'm a total dumbass when it comes to wireless
    > :(
    >
    > "Jack" wrote:

    >> May be this can Help, Wireless Security -
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    You don't need special software. Go to the router's configuration screen by
    entering its address in a browser's addressbar. For ex., for a Linksys
    router you would enter http://192.168.1.1 [enter]. Then enter the username
    and password you used when you set up the router. If you didn't change the
    username/password from the default, refer to your router manual for details
    or look up the manual on the router mftr.'s website.

    Once in, go to the wireless settings. Change the SSID from the default to
    something recognizable. IOW, if it says "Linksys" change the name of the
    SSID (which is your wireless network) to something else. Then go to the
    wireless security settings. All hardware must be able to use the same
    encryption. IOW, if all the wireless adapters in your computers can use
    WPA, use that. If you have an older adapter in one of your computers,
    you'll have to use WEP. WEP is better than nothing. Save your settings and
    go to the wireless adapter managers on each computer and enter the
    encryption key.

    That's all there is to it. If you find this too hard, have a professional
    come over and set you up. It is a very simple job and should not be too
    expensive.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User