    visit once a month for 3-4 days, Is it worth securing it? Second, and most
    important, is if I secure the network at my parents, will I screw up anything
    when i return home? Thank you.
    =?Utf-8?B?U2FtIFM=?=, Sep 1, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U2FtIFM=?=

    Lem Guest

    Sam S wrote:
    > I have a secure wireless network at home using a Dell router. When I visit
    > my parent, they have a Belkan router that is currently unsecured. First, I
    > visit once a month for 3-4 days, Is it worth securing it?

    Yes. Don't you think your parent's system is as worth protecting as
    your own?

    Second, and most
    > important, is if I secure the network at my parents, will I screw up anything
    > when i return home? Thank you.

    No. If you have set things up properly, your home network will have an
    unique SSID of, say, "SamsNet" and your parents' network will have a
    unique SSID of, say, "OldFolksNet". When you search for "available
    networks" and pick one to connect to, you will be asked to enter the
    appropriate encryption key. Each key is "remembered" in association
    with its corresponding SSID, so when you go home, you'll automatically
    connect to SamsNet.
    Lem, Sep 1, 2006

  3. Re: Securing an additional wireless network at a different locatio

    "Lem" wrote:

    > Sam S wrote:
    > > I have a secure wireless network at home using a Dell router. When I visit
    > > my parent, they have a Belkan router that is currently unsecured. First, I
    > > visit once a month for 3-4 days, Is it worth securing it?

    > Yes. Don't you think your parent's system is as worth protecting as
    > your own?
    >
    > Second, and most
    > > important, is if I secure the network at my parents, will I screw up anything
    > > when i return home? Thank you.

    > No. If you have set things up properly, your home network will have an
    > unique SSID of, say, "SamsNet" and your parents' network will have a
    > unique SSID of, say, "OldFolksNet". When you search for "available
    > networks" and pick one to connect to, you will be asked to enter the
    > appropriate encryption key. Each key is "remembered" in association
    > with its corresponding SSID, so when you go home, you'll automatically
    > connect to SamsNet.

    Thanks Lem:

    I think I phrased my question incorrectly and didn'trovide all info. But
    you answered it completely.

    I need to point out that my parents PC is not wireless. It is hooked into
    the router. Does that change your #1 answer? Is there a link that would
    show me how to secure my network correctly thru a good link that might
    address my specific issue or close to it?. Excuse the ignorance, I don't
    understand Ecncryption code. Thank you.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2FtIFM=?=, Sep 2, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?U2FtIFM=?=

    Lem Guest

    Sam S wrote:

    > "Lem" wrote:
    >

    >>Sam S wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a secure wireless network at home using a Dell router. When I visit
    >>>my parent, they have a Belkan router that is currently unsecured. First, I
    >>>visit once a month for 3-4 days, Is it worth securing it?

    >>Yes. Don't you think your parent's system is as worth protecting as
    >>your own?
    >>
    >>Second, and most
    >>
    >>>important, is if I secure the network at my parents, will I screw up anything
    >>>when i return home? Thank you.

    >>No. If you have set things up properly, your home network will have an
    >>unique SSID of, say, "SamsNet" and your parents' network will have a
    >>unique SSID of, say, "OldFolksNet". When you search for "available
    >>networks" and pick one to connect to, you will be asked to enter the
    >>appropriate encryption key. Each key is "remembered" in association
    >>with its corresponding SSID, so when you go home, you'll automatically
    >>connect to SamsNet.

    > Thanks Lem:
    >
    > I think I phrased my question incorrectly and didn'trovide all info. But
    > you answered it completely.
    >
    > I need to point out that my parents PC is not wireless. It is hooked into
    > the router. Does that change your #1 answer? Is there a link that would
    > show me how to secure my network correctly thru a good link that might
    > address my specific issue or close to it?. Excuse the ignorance, I don't
    > understand Ecncryption code. Thank you.

    If your parents' PC dies not use wireless AND if their router is not a
    wireless router, they they are pretty secure already. If they have a
    wireless-capable router and are just not using that capability (most
    home wifi routers have connections for up to 4 computers to connect
    using Ethernet cable) they should disable the wifi part of the router.
    How you do that depends on the particular router. On my Linksys WRT54G,
    it's on the "Basic Wireless Settings" screen, where I can set the
    "Wireless Network Mode" to G-Only, B-Only, Mixed, or Disabled.

    Other than that, the only other things I would suggest to secure your
    parents' network is to change the password used to access the router's
    configuration utility to something other than the default, and to
    double-check that "remote management" of the router is turned off.

    As to your other question, are you asking how to secure your own wifi
    network? In your original post, you said it was already secure. I'm
    not sure what your asking about. If it's wifi encryption/security, read
    on. Otherwise, you'll have to be a bit clearer.

    Because wifi signals, like all radio signals, can be picked up by anyone
    with an appropriate receiver, wifi is secured by encrypting the signals.
    There are 3 general levels of encryption available to home users, in
    increasing order of security: WEP, WPA, and WPA2. All the nodes on the
    network must use the same level. Use the highest level you can. See
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html and
    http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html

    For further detail see:
    Implement WPA2-Personal wireless security on a Windows XP SP2-based computer
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/bowman_wirelesssecurity.mspx

    WPA Wireless Security for Home Networks
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.mspx

    Improve the security of your wireless home network with Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/security/wireless.mspx

    Expert Zone Support Webcast: How to set up WPA-based wireless security
    on a home network: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=895616
    Lem, Sep 2, 2006
  5. Hi

    If your Laptop has both Wire and Wireless, you can set it so when Wireless
    is, available at home it would connect to the Wireless, and hen it plugged
    with cable into your parent router it would work automatically through the
    cable.

    See here, http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html

    As said above, the security measures are related to the Wireless only they
    do not have any roll in wired connection, so you should leave them as is
    when a cable connection is used.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 3, 2006