SecureIX - Has anyone used this?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by K, Mar 3, 2006.

  1. K

    K Guest

    Has anyone heard anything about or used SecureIX (www.secureix.com)?

    I am looking for a VPN solution for when I am on public wireless networks
    with my PDA and obviously want ALL my network traffic to be encrypted.

    I was considering a adding a piece of kit to my home LAN and VPN'ing into it
    from my PDA and routing all my traffic via that, but I don't know if any of
    the VPN kit available in the home user price range will route ALL web
    traffic or not.

    Someone suggested the SecureIX service, but I have never heard of them, so
    obviously at the moment, the prospect of sending passwords etc. over their
    system is just as insecure as using a public network.

    Also, if anyone can recommend any similar services and/or hardware I can use
    to do this myself at home then please do.

    I guess to route all traffic SecureIX would need to allow me to use a proxy
    there, or can HTTP/S traffic be routed via VPN without Proxy?

    Thanks

    K, Mar 3, 2006

  2. K

    nemo_outis Guest

    "K" <@.> wrote in

    > Has anyone heard anything about or used SecureIX (www.secureix.com)?
    >
    > I am looking for a VPN solution for when I am on public wireless
    > networks with my PDA and obviously want ALL my network traffic to be
    > encrypted.
    >
    > I was considering a adding a piece of kit to my home LAN and VPN'ing
    > into it from my PDA and routing all my traffic via that, but I don't
    > know if any of the VPN kit available in the home user price range will
    > route ALL web traffic or not.

    Rather than buy hardware I recommend OpenVPN:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/openvpn/

    I use it to VPN tunnel from clients' offices through their firewalls, etc.
    to my home machine. I occasionally use UltraVNC through the tunnel (no
    extra encryption - I rely on the tunnel encryption) to run the home machine
    (for surfing, etc.), but you can also just set up a forwarding proxy on the
    home machine and run the browser, etc. from the far end at work, etc. if
    you want snappier performance, etc.

    OpenVPN took a Saturday afternoon for me to figure out how to set it up and
    fine-tune it (I'm not as quick at these things as in my youth) but now it
    works absolutely beautifully! I'm convinced it's far superior (in terms of
    compatability mostly, with equally good performance) to most hardware
    ipsec/pptp/l2tp solutions.

    Regards,

    PS It's so handy having my home network as just another part of the work
    network (drag and drop files, etc.). And it's all invisible to the
    sysadmins here (except for the existence of the tunnel itself, of course).

    nemo_outis, Mar 3, 2006

  3. K

    K Guest

    Thanks, but as I am away from home for a while I didn't want to leave
    PC/Server's on.

    All that will be on (if I go down this route) is my Router and any VPN kit I
    buy. I'm not even sure if I can do what I want this way yet.

    K, Mar 3, 2006
  4. K

    traveler 66 Guest

    "K" <@.> wrote in message
    > Has anyone heard anything about or used SecureIX (www.secureix.com)?
    >
    > I am looking for a VPN solution for when I am on public wireless networks
    > with my PDA and obviously want ALL my network traffic to be encrypted.
    >
    > I was considering a adding a piece of kit to my home LAN and VPN'ing into

    it
    > from my PDA and routing all my traffic via that, but I don't know if any

    of
    > the VPN kit available in the home user price range will route ALL web
    > traffic or not.
    >
    > Someone suggested the SecureIX service, but I have never heard of them, so
    > obviously at the moment, the prospect of sending passwords etc. over their
    > system is just as insecure as using a public network.
    >
    > Also, if anyone can recommend any similar services and/or hardware I can

    use
    > to do this myself at home then please do.

    I've been using www.findnot.com for my vpn, great service, but it's not
    free. The one you mention is new and maybe very good, but I haven't had any
    experience with them. They don't charge now, it's free while they're in
    beta.

    Regards.

    traveler 66, Mar 3, 2006