Secured PC - disabled IE

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Peter James, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Peter James

    Peter James Guest

    I followed a web site the URL of which was posted here, namely
    www.geocites.com/yosponge/
    in order to secure my PC. All worked well, and Firefox and Opera seem
    to be happy with the changes I made. However, I appear to have
    completely disabled IE. This is not the end of the world, and some
    would say a good thing to, but unfortunately in order to access the
    Microsoft Up-date site Iseem to need IE. Can anyone advise me where
    I might have gone wrong. Firefox and Opera are working well behind a
    proxy set to:
    Manual Proxy Configuration
    http Proxy: localhost Port 8080
    SSL Proxy: localhost Port 8080

    I set IE up the same way and yet every time I try to access the
    Microsoft Up-date site it reports that it cannot find the server and
    the Web page can not be displayed. Thanks in advance.
    --

    Peter James
    Change AT to @ to reply

    Peter James, Feb 22, 2004

  2. Peter James

    Alan Walker Guest

    Peter James wrote:
    > I followed a web site the URL of which was posted here, namely
    > www.geocites.com/yosponge/
    > in order to secure my PC. All worked well, and Firefox and Opera seem
    > to be happy with the changes I made. However, I appear to have
    > completely disabled IE. This is not the end of the world, and some
    > would say a good thing to, but unfortunately in order to access the
    > Microsoft Up-date site Iseem to need IE. Can anyone advise me where
    > I might have gone wrong. Firefox and Opera are working well behind a
    > proxy set to:
    > Manual Proxy Configuration
    > http Proxy: localhost Port 8080
    > SSL Proxy: localhost Port 8080
    >
    > I set IE up the same way and yet every time I try to access the
    > Microsoft Up-date site it reports that it cannot find the server and
    > the Web page can not be displayed. Thanks in advance.

    I've had problems accessing Windows update recently as well, just as likely
    their end as yours right now, try again tomorrow.

    --

    Alan

    Alan Walker, Feb 22, 2004

  3. Peter James

    Peter James Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:53:02 -0000, "Alan Walker"
    <> wrote:

    >Peter James wrote:
    >> I followed a web site the URL of which was posted here, namely
    >> www.geocites.com/yosponge/
    >> in order to secure my PC. All worked well, and Firefox and Opera seem
    >> to be happy with the changes I made. However, I appear to have
    >> completely disabled IE. This is not the end of the world, and some
    >> would say a good thing to, but unfortunately in order to access the
    >> Microsoft Up-date site Iseem to need IE. Can anyone advise me where
    >> I might have gone wrong. Firefox and Opera are working well behind a
    >> proxy set to:
    >> Manual Proxy Configuration
    >> http Proxy: localhost Port 8080
    >> SSL Proxy: localhost Port 8080
    >>
    >> I set IE up the same way and yet every time I try to access the
    >> Microsoft Up-date site it reports that it cannot find the server and
    >> the Web page can not be displayed. Thanks in advance.

    >I've had problems accessing Windows update recently as well, just as likely
    >their end as yours right now, try again tomorrow.

    Sorry, but I didn't make myself plain. I can't access any web site.
    No matter the URL the result is always the same. i.e. "The web page
    can not be displayed".
    --

    Peter James
    Change AT to @ to reply

    Peter James, Feb 22, 2004
  4. Peter James

    donutbandit Guest

    Peter James <> wrote in

    > Sorry, but I didn't make myself plain. I can't access any web site.
    > No matter the URL the result is always the same. i.e. "The web page
    > can not be displayed".

    Sponge's Kerio rulesets disallow access to the Microsoft site.

    Just open the rules, and untick the rules that disallow Microsoft.

    donutbandit, Feb 22, 2004