    the same time and both are shown on their respective taskbars, as Wi-Fi
    connected, the laptop connection doesn't show up in the PC's 'Connect
    To'/Network Connections' window? Is this right?
    Rosie, May 23, 2006

  2. Hi

    Each computer shows its own connections, it does not know what the other
    computers have.

    In regular infrastructure Wireless mode (when using a Router or Access
    Point). Windows Wireless utility (WZC) shows if a Wireless Source (Wireless
    Router, or Access Point) are secured it does not show other computers
    existence or their status.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 23, 2006

  3. Rosie

    Rosie Guest

    Thank you. If I understand you, what you are saying is - my PC with the
    Router only should show its security status. If this is so, then my wireless
    source is not doing this!

    By the way, I had my laptop with me when I was visiting recently, where
    there is no wireless connection. When I switched it on, it connected to a
    wireless connection 'Linksys', which was unsecured, no one, where I was
    staying had any idea where it was located. Also showing in the same 'Connect
    To' window as Linksys, were to other wireless connections, which were both
    secured. It is all very confusing!

    Rosie

    Rosie, May 23, 2006
  4. Hi

    Well, Wireless signal is Wireless. I.e. if the neighbor next door has his
    own Wireless it would show up.

    The name of the Wireless connection is usually the SSID name of the Wireless
    Router. Linksys Routers come with default SSID "Linksys" and many people
    (unwisely) leave it this way.

    You might want to read these few pages, it might help casting some light on
    the "Shadowy" world of Wireless Mysteries.

    http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#signal

    Wireless, Basic Configuration: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 24, 2006