    or the floor indicating that there's an insecure conecction availbale,
    this is called "CHALKWALKING"
    So the moral is SECURE YOUR WIRELESS!

    Benito Kamela, Jun 1, 2004

  2. Benito Kamela wrote:

    > I went driving around town last Saturday (Southern Cal) with my laptop
    > turned on looking for wireless hot spots and I found lots of unsecured
    > hot spots where I was able to connect to the internet and send emails,
    > ftp and anything I wanted.
    > There's a new game in town called drive-by-spam where a spamer can use
    > your connection to send a million emails and then move on to the next.
    > This could make your ISP to shut down and/or cancell your service.
    > And that's not all, somebody will find your wireless and mark the wall
    > or the floor indicating that there's an insecure conecction availbale,
    > this is called "CHALKWALKING"
    > So the moral is SECURE YOUR WIRELESS!

    Probably good advice, but a little shrill. Warchalking (not
    chalkwalking) has been around for quite a while. The need to secure a
    network had been around longer.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 1, 2004

  3. and how would you make the wi-fi network secure?
    firewalls etc.?
    thanks,
    brad

    newsgroup.corp.com, Jun 1, 2004
  4. Benito Kamela

    Scraggy Guest

    newsgroup.corp.com wrote:
    > and how would you make the wi-fi network secure?
    > firewalls etc.?
    > thanks,
    > brad

    Use MAC address fitering, Don't use standard SSID ( WLAN for instance.....
    be imaginative) THEN disable ESSID broadcast, enable WPA or, if not
    available, 128 bit WEP

    HTH

    Scraggy, Jun 1, 2004
  5. uh...damn
    hope all of that.. is in my networking for dummies book that's in the mail
    lol

    newsgroup.corp.com, Jun 1, 2004
  6. Benito Kamela

    Scraggy Guest

    newsgroup.corp.com wrote:
    > uh...damn
    > hope all of that.. is in my networking for dummies book that's in the
    > mail lol

    At the risk of being offensive lol RTFM for your router/WAP, it should be
    in there & it's not too difficult. If you need help holler.

    Scraggy, Jun 1, 2004
  7. Benito Kamela

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 06:08:01 GMT, Benito Kamela wrote:

    >I went driving around town last Saturday (Southern Cal) with my laptop
    >turned on looking for wireless hot spots and I found lots of unsecured
    >hot spots where I was able to connect to the internet and send emails,

    <snip>
    >And that's not all, somebody will find your wireless and mark the wall
    >or the floor indicating that there's an insecure conecction availbale,
    >this is called "CHALKWALKING"

    Interesting, very few references in a search (6 www.google.com) for
    "CHALKWALKING", I thought it was called "warchalking" gives 31,000hits.

    Me

    why?, Jun 1, 2004
  8. I stand corrected, it's warchalking and they have different signs to
    indicate whether the hot spot connection is open or secured.

    Probably the best bet is WEP 128 bit that's implemented with the new
    routers.

    It shouldn't be difficult to set up, usually takes going into the setup
    and entering a "passphrase"

    open browser and enter:
    http://192.168.0.1 it will ask for the admin password entered at the
    setup of the router, then look for a wireless setup.

    Options may vary according to flavor.

    I went scanning and found lots of networks called Linksys, Netgear,
    D-Lynk etc. it's easy to figure out that those were not secured since
    the user has not even changed the name of the network and left it as it
    came from the factory.
    The manufacturers make the installation easy but not the securing
    process.
    Have fun.

    Benito K

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:08:28 GMT, why?

    Benito Kamela, Jun 1, 2004
  9. Benito Kamela

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 22:12:47 GMT, Benito Kamela wrote:

    >I stand corrected, it's warchalking and they have different signs to
    >indicate whether the hot spot connection is open or secured.
    >
    >Probably the best bet is WEP 128 bit that's implemented with the new
    >routers.

    That's fine if that's all the card / OS support. Just playing around
    with WPA/TKIP which is a pain as the MS patch is only for XP or above.
    It may just push me into upgrading argh!!! :)

    >It shouldn't be difficult to set up, usually takes going into the setup
    >and entering a "passphrase"

    <snip>

    why?, Jun 2, 2004
  10. Benito Kamela

    Billh Guest

    Your warning is correct but the average user that just plugged in a wireless
    network and left it wide open does not have the brains to figure out how to
    read a newsgroup.

    My neighbor works as a manager in the IT department of a mid sized company
    and his wifi is wide open even the router password is still the default. I
    will not tell him as I look at it as insurance no one is going to try and
    crack mine with his so easy to get in to.

    Billh, Jun 2, 2004