    and 2 wireless laptops in a peer to peer configuration. I would like to make
    the firewall and DMZ as secure as possible so I can share resources amongst
    the peers with relative security.
    =?Utf-8?B?dGxvdw==?=, Apr 13, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?dGxvdw==?=

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi

    Bear in mind that though the same word Security is used to describe Secure Internet
    Connection and Secure Wireless, from a Computer functioning perspective there is No
    relation between the two.

    Wireless Security has Nothing to do with securing the Internet Connection.

    Wireless is just a replacement for a Wire and thus can be intercepted by people in the
    neighborhood attaching them self to your Signal and use your LAN and your LAN's Internet
    Connection. To avoid Local Tapping there are Wireless Security measures. These
    measures are unique to the Wireless components, and have to be used even if there is No
    Internet Connection.

    These short pages describe the basic principles of functional Wireless Security.

    WEP, WPA, and the Future - http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html

    Network Segregation - http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html

    Cable/DSL Router Hardware NAT and Firewall/AntiVirus/AntiSpy applications are the ones
    that protect the Internet connection from being invaded/infested, and preventing your
    LAN computers (Wired and Wireless) from transmitting out to the Internet privileged
    information.

    All the computers (as a Network) would have basic Internet protection by using a
    Cable/DSL Router. In addition, each computer on your Network that has access to the
    Internet should have its own Internet Connection protection regardless of whether it
    uses Wire or Wireless.

    Internet -Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html

    Assemble Freeware Security suit for Internet Connection:
    http://www.ezlan.net/security.html

    In addition you should have tools available to clean your computers if they get Infested
    with Internet "Junk".

    Internet Infestation: http://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html

    Basic Steps in cleaning Internet "Junk" - http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).