"Secure" (?) Ofoto

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by amyk1030@yahoo.com, Aug 30, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Dear all,

    Ofoto states that
    "The Ofoto.com site provides consumers with a secure and easy way to
    view, store and share their photos with friends and family and get
    real Kodak prints of their pictures."

    I generally liked Ofoto, until recently. I found that tens of
    thousands of pictures on Ofoto is cached and crawled by Google search
    engine. Image search through Google yields about 8,000 photos.
    http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q= site:ofoto.com

    The invitation page that is sent to friends also shows up in Google.
    http://www.google.com/search?q="amy has shared photos with you&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&filter=0

    Anybody with E-mail account can sign up for an account with Ofoto, and
    anybody with an account can view any pictures stored in Ofoto
    web-site. ... Is this "secure"?? That means "ALL THE PICTURES ON
    OFOTO IS AVAILBLE TO GENERAL PUBLIC!".

    As you know, it is technically easy to prevent Google from crawling
    the web-page. Let alone building firewalls.

    I wrote to customer service but they claim that they don't have any
    control over Google's search - Google searches the entire Ofoto
    domain, meaning that any pictures there can end up showing up in
    Google -- quite disturbing to some people like me. I tried doing
    similar searches using other services, but except webshots, I did not
    create the similar results (with shutterfly and Yahoo photos).... the
    images in their domain which turned out via Google search was the
    icons and photos in their company web-site, not personal web-site.

    I am looking forward to feedback especially from Ofoto folks. Thank
    you very much in advance.

    Sincerely,

    Amy
    , Aug 30, 2004