    Belkin CD's.

    what do I have to do to secure my network?

    Thanks :)
    Broons Bane, Apr 1, 2006

  2. Broons Bane

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    May be this can Help.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Apr 1, 2006

  3. Go to Control Panel-->Network connections-->Network connection. Right click
    that one you use, and click the "Wireless Networks" tab, choose "properties.
    Click the DATA ENCRPTION, and choose one of the types.

    COMMON ONES (LEAST SECURE {homes} TO MORE SECURE {offices, laptops, public
    places})

    DISABLED
    WEB
    AES

    ALSO: TO GET MORE SECURITY CLICK THE "NETWORK AUTHENTICATION" and click one
    (Open {LEAST secure, more function} --> WPA-PSK {more secure, LEAST
    function}).

    =?Utf-8?B?RVRMQ1M=?=, Apr 2, 2006
  4. Broons Bane

    Broons Bane Guest

    "ETLCS" <> wrote in message
    > Go to Control Panel-->Network connections-->Network connection. Right
    > click
    > that one you use, and click the "Wireless Networks" tab, choose
    > "properties.
    > Click the DATA ENCRPTION, and choose one of the types.
    >
    > COMMON ONES (LEAST SECURE {homes} TO MORE SECURE {offices, laptops, public
    > places})
    >
    > DISABLED
    > WEB
    > AES
    >
    > ALSO: TO GET MORE SECURITY CLICK THE "NETWORK AUTHENTICATION" and click
    > one
    > (Open {LEAST secure, more function} --> WPA-PSK {more secure, LEAST
    > function}).
    > "Broons Bane" wrote:
    >
    >> hi there.
    >>
    >> I'm a newbie to this stuff.
    >>
    >> I have an existing belkin wireless internet connection and have
    >> discovered
    >> to my horror that it is unsecured. I'm not sure I still have the original
    >> Belkin CD's.
    >>
    >> what do I have to do to secure my network?
    >>
    >> Thanks :)

    cheers :) that's the but I don't get.

    surely if I'm using a new laptop on an unsecured wireless connect, then that
    laptop shouldn't have the power to configure the router remotely so that all
    future laptops need to type in a password?
    Broons Bane, Apr 2, 2006
  5. Broons Bane

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    While the connection is Not secure (on both Router and laptop) you can log
    to the Router and configure the Router’s security. Ones the Router security
    is implemented your Laptop would be cut Off the connection because it does
    not match (yet) the new security setting of the Router.

    So, you configure the Laptop security and if it done correctly it would be
    able to log back to the Router. If you made a mistake you are out of luck
    since your Laptop would not talk to a secured wireless. You would have to
    Hard Reset the Router disable the security on the Laptop, and start from
    scratch.

    Therefore it is Highly recommended that is initial configuration would be
    done through a Wire connection. Almost all Laptops has Wired network card
    too.

    Jack, Apr 2, 2006
  6. Broons Bane

    Lem Guest

    Broons Bane wrote:
    > "ETLCS" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Go to Control Panel-->Network connections-->Network connection. Right
    >>click
    >>that one you use, and click the "Wireless Networks" tab, choose
    >>"properties.
    >>Click the DATA ENCRPTION, and choose one of the types.
    >>
    >>COMMON ONES (LEAST SECURE {homes} TO MORE SECURE {offices, laptops, public
    >>places})
    >>
    >>DISABLED
    >>WEB
    >>AES
    >>
    >>ALSO: TO GET MORE SECURITY CLICK THE "NETWORK AUTHENTICATION" and click
    >>one
    >>(Open {LEAST secure, more function} --> WPA-PSK {more secure, LEAST
    >>function}).
    >>"Broons Bane" wrote:
    >>

    >>>hi there.
    >>>
    >>>I'm a newbie to this stuff.
    >>>
    >>>I have an existing belkin wireless internet connection and have
    >>>discovered
    >>>to my horror that it is unsecured. I'm not sure I still have the original
    >>>Belkin CD's.
    >>>
    >>>what do I have to do to secure my network?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks :)
    >>>

    > cheers :) that's the but I don't get.
    >
    > surely if I'm using a new laptop on an unsecured wireless connect, then that
    > laptop shouldn't have the power to configure the router remotely so that all
    > future laptops need to type in a password?

    Unfortunately, that's exactly the case.

    One of the very first things that anyone installing a wireless router
    should do is to change the userid and password needed to access the
    router's configuration utility. In this respect, Belkin's documentation
    seems to be sadly inadequate.

    Belkin wireless routers, from what I can tell from a brief view of their
    site, require no userid at all and a blank password. And their "Quick
    Setup" doesn't bother to tell you to change that.

    This means that anyone within radio range of an unsecured Belkin
    wireless router can simply type 192.168.2.1 (the default IP address for
    Belkin routers). This takes them to the "Login" page where, if the
    default blank password hasn't been changed, they can login to the router
    and change anything they want.

    I suggest that you immediately get out the manual for your Belkin
    router, find the directions for "setting or changing the administrator
    password" and change it. Note that if you forget the password, you can
    always reset the router to its factory default (blank password) by
    pressing the "reset" button).

    Also, contrary to what you might expect, if you're forced to use WEP
    encryption (rather than WPA or WPA2) because one or more of your devices
    only supports WEP, use "OPEN" authentication. See, e.g.,
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884787/en-us
    Lem, Apr 2, 2006