    Windows XP environment? Is there software that more secure than others -
    ie, has fewer bugs, fewer security flaws, etc?

    Thanks in advance.

    Fred, Apr 8, 2006

  2. Fred wrote:
    > Hi all -
    > Does anyone have any suggestions for secure software for reading the
    > various file formats - pdf, mov, rm, mp3, flash, java, etc - in a
    > Windows XP environment? Is there software that more secure than others -
    > ie, has fewer bugs, fewer security flaws, etc?

    PDF: Foxit PDF Reader, but rewriting the file using GhostScript (and
    maybe GSView) can make it even safe for Adobe Reader (which on itself is
    pretty safe is configured correctly, including the removal of certain
    plugins)

    MOV: VideoLanClient

    RM: Tinra

    MP3: any unsafe?

    Flash: Well, bad. QuickTime can read SWF without any Flash Control
    involved, for FLV you might try VideoLanClient

    Java: What's wrong with Java?

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Apr 8, 2006

  3. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Thanks for your reply; it's a great help. For java, I'm wondering if
    there's a build/version that should be avoided because of vulnerabilities.

    Fred, Apr 10, 2006
  4. Fred

    traveler 66 Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all -
    > Does anyone have any suggestions for secure software for reading the
    > various file formats - pdf, mov, rm, mp3, flash, java, etc - in a
    > Windows XP environment? Is there software that more secure than others -
    > ie, has fewer bugs, fewer security flaws, etc?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Getting and keeping up with all the recent windows updates should help,

    Regards,

    traveler 66, Apr 10, 2006
  5. Fred wrote:
    > Thanks for your reply; it's a great help. For java, I'm wondering if
    > there's a build/version that should be avoided because of vulnerabilities.

    Any but the most recent. For the better you should disable Java in your
    webbrowser by default and only enable on demand.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Apr 10, 2006
  6. Fred wrote:

    > Thanks for your reply; it's a great help. For java, I'm wondering if
    > there's a build/version that should be avoided because of vulnerabilities.

    Gottschalk's typically "lacking" advice completely ignores the fact that
    there's two major releases of the Java runtime... Microsoft's and Sun's.
    The Sun version is historically a LOT more secure and robust, and when
    problems do occur they're addressed more prudently.

    Do whatever you can to avoid Microsoft's buggier than hell Java. Use
    Firefox or Opera, and download the current Sun plugins.

    Borked Pseudo Mailed, Apr 10, 2006