secure /etc/fstab

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by nospam55, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. nospam55

    nospam55 Guest

    Hi !

    MY TASK

    From long time I need to improve security on my home linux-M$win box used as

    email, http , IRC , ftp , etc client (dialup connection with no services
    installed);

    the basic idea is

    1. to make different users for different activities with useradd

    2. to edit carefully /etc/fstab , maybe making careful and intensive use of the
    'owner' , 'uid=' 'gid=' and 'umask=' options

    MY PROBLEM

    now the

    man fstab

    doc is somehow confusing, also because it seems to require a quite good
    understanding of the pretty complicate

    man mount

    documentation

    MY QUESTIONS

    Q1: is there a tutorial doc discussing 1. and 2. above ?

    Q2: some similar tutorial for the security of my (client, not servicing)
    linux-M$win machine permanently hacker-vulnerable in the LAN of the
    office where I work ?

    Thanks for your time :)

    nospam55, Jul 3, 2004