    and downloaded just such a free tool. But I can't find it now,
    either in my hard disk or on the internet. Does anyone know of
    such a utility? TIA.

    pimpom, Apr 2, 2009

  2. pimpom

    Ricky Bobby Guest

    "pimpom" <> wrote in message
    news:gr2ogj$ghi$...
    >I always thought it would be nice to be able to completely wipe clean
    >*only* the free spaces of a hard disk partition. My reason for wanting such
    >a utility is not security or privacy, but to avoid bringing up a lot of
    >clutter in case I ever need to recover accidentally deleted data, after
    >deletion but before doing the next 'wipe'.
    >
    > Unless my memory's playing tricks on me, I'm sure I once found and
    > downloaded just such a free tool. But I can't find it now, either in my
    > hard disk or on the internet. Does anyone know of such a utility? TIA.

    Just a wild guess...but do you think maybe entering "wipe disk free space"
    in a search engine-- say, Google--- might offer any help here, do ya' huh?

    Ricky Bobby, Apr 2, 2009

  3. pimpom

    meerkat Guest

    "pimpom" <> wrote in message
    >I always thought it would be nice to be able to completely wipe clean
    >*only* the free spaces of a hard disk partition. My reason for wanting
    >such a utility is not security or privacy, but to avoid bringing up a
    >lot of clutter in case I ever need to recover accidentally deleted
    >data, after deletion but before doing the next 'wipe'.
    >
    > Unless my memory's playing tricks on me, I'm sure I once found and
    > downloaded just such a free tool. But I can't find it now, either in
    > my hard disk or on the internet. Does anyone know of such a utility?
    > TIA.

    Get Eraser here.
    http://www.heidi.ie/node/6

    It``l do what you want.

    bw..

    meerkat, Apr 2, 2009
  4. pimpom

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 19:17:19 +0100, meerkat wrote:

    > It``l

    A very novel and interesting way of spelling that contraction, mate.

    :)

    BTW I assume you've checked out www.comparethemeerkat.com already?

    Aardvark, Apr 2, 2009
  5. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    meerkat wrote:
    > "pimpom" <> wrote in message
    >> I always thought it would be nice to be able to completely
    >> wipe clean
    >> *only* the free spaces of a hard disk partition. My reason for
    >> wanting such a utility is not security or privacy, but to
    >> avoid
    >> bringing up a lot of clutter in case I ever need to recover
    >> accidentally deleted data, after deletion but before doing the
    >> next
    >> 'wipe'. Unless my memory's playing tricks on me, I'm sure I
    >> once found and
    >> downloaded just such a free tool. But I can't find it now,
    >> either in
    >> my hard disk or on the internet. Does anyone know of such a
    >> utility?
    >> TIA.

    > Get Eraser here.
    > http://www.heidi.ie/node/6
    >
    > It``l do what you want.

    Thanks. I think Eraser is actually the one I found before, though
    there are others. Funny though, I still can't find the one I
    downloaded earlier on my hard disk.

    pimpom, Apr 2, 2009
  6. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    Ricky Bobby wrote:
    > "pimpom" <> wrote in message
    >> I always thought it would be nice to be able to completely
    >> wipe clean
    >> *only* the free spaces of a hard disk partition. My reason for
    >> wanting such a utility is not security or privacy, but to
    >> avoid
    >> bringing up a lot of clutter in case I ever need to recover
    >> accidentally deleted data, after deletion but before doing the
    >> next
    >> 'wipe'. Unless my memory's playing tricks on me, I'm sure I
    >> once found and
    >> downloaded just such a free tool. But I can't find it now,
    >> either in
    >> my hard disk or on the internet. Does anyone know of such a
    >> utility?
    >> TIA.

    > Just a wild guess...but do you think maybe entering "wipe disk
    > free
    > space" in a search engine-- say, Google--- might offer any help
    > here,
    > do ya' huh?

    Ok, maybe I deserved that bit of sarcasm. But I suspect that most
    people have those days when they had a mental block that
    prevented them from coming up with the right search parameters.
    Or they may simply have little experience with computers and
    search engines. When I reply to such queries, I usually do the
    search first and suggest some likely candidates - just as another
    poster has already done to my question.

    pimpom, Apr 2, 2009
  7. "pimpom" <> wrote in

    > I always thought it would be nice to be able to completely wipe
    > clean *only* the free spaces of a hard disk partition. My reason
    > for wanting such a utility is not security or privacy, but to
    > avoid bringing up a lot of clutter in case I ever need to recover
    > accidentally deleted data, after deletion but before doing the
    > next 'wipe'.
    >
    > Unless my memory's playing tricks on me, I'm sure I once found
    > and downloaded just such a free tool. But I can't find it now,
    > either in my hard disk or on the internet. Does anyone know of
    > such a utility? TIA.

    "Eraser" will do that.
    (R-Click on drive and select "Erase Unused Space").

    <http://eraser.heidi.ie/>

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Apr 2, 2009
  8. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    John Wunderlich wrote:
    > "pimpom" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I always thought it would be nice to be able to completely
    >> wipe
    >> clean *only* the free spaces of a hard disk partition. My
    >> reason
    >> for wanting such a utility is not security or privacy, but to
    >> avoid bringing up a lot of clutter in case I ever need to
    >> recover
    >> accidentally deleted data, after deletion but before doing the
    >> next 'wipe'.
    >>
    >> Unless my memory's playing tricks on me, I'm sure I once found
    >> and downloaded just such a free tool. But I can't find it now,
    >> either in my hard disk or on the internet. Does anyone know of
    >> such a utility? TIA.
    >>

    > "Eraser" will do that.
    > (R-Click on drive and select "Erase Unused Space").
    >
    > <http://eraser.heidi.ie/>
    >
    > HTH,
    > John

    Thanks. Just finished downloading it.

    pimpom, Apr 2, 2009
  9. pimpom

    Ricky Bobby Guest

    "pimpom" <> wrote in message
    > Ricky Bobby wrote:
    >> "pimpom" <> wrote in message
    >>> I always thought it would be nice to be able to completely wipe clean
    >>> *only* the free spaces of a hard disk partition. My reason for
    >>> wanting such a utility is not security or privacy, but to avoid
    >>> bringing up a lot of clutter in case I ever need to recover
    >>> accidentally deleted data, after deletion but before doing the next
    >>> 'wipe'. Unless my memory's playing tricks on me, I'm sure I once found
    >>> and
    >>> downloaded just such a free tool. But I can't find it now, either in
    >>> my hard disk or on the internet. Does anyone know of such a utility?
    >>> TIA.

    >> Just a wild guess...but do you think maybe entering "wipe disk free
    >> space" in a search engine-- say, Google--- might offer any help here,
    >> do ya' huh?

    > Ok, maybe I deserved that bit of sarcasm. But I suspect that most people
    > have those days when they had a mental block that prevented them from
    > coming up with the right search parameters. Or they may simply have little
    > experience with computers and search engines. When I reply to such
    > queries, I usually do the search first and suggest some likely
    > candidates - just as another poster has already done to my question.

    You certainly do want to be spoon-fed, my passive, helpless friend ;-)

    I bet mommie still cuts your meat for you and wipes your ass after you
    poop....

    Ricky Bobby, Apr 2, 2009
  10. pimpom

    meerkat Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 19:17:19 +0100, meerkat wrote:
    >
    >> It``l

    > A very novel and interesting way of spelling that contraction, mate.
    >
    > :)
    >
    > BTW I assume you've checked out www.comparethemeerkat.com already?

    Bit of a case of...fingers working faster than brain %> ).
    First time I`ve been to `compare the meerkats`, but I hate filling
    things in.

    bw.. as always.
    meerkat.

    meerkat, Apr 2, 2009
  11. pimpom

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 15:20:30 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >Back from the porcelain bus wheel.
    >
    >A 12 year old could have done the site better.
    >Oh I'm sorry. You're only 10.

    LOL... And what was YOUR site again, St00pid?

    Evan Platt, Apr 2, 2009
  12. richard wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >> BTW I assume you've checked out www.comparethemeerkat.com already?

    > Back from the porcelain bus wheel.
    >
    > A 12 year old could have done the site better.

    Well, I must say it looks a hell of a lot better than any of your
    efforts. And .. it validates!

    > Oh I'm sorry. You're only 10.

    If design of web site is criteria for pleasing web sites, you're in
    diapers... (no, no, not Depends .. Pampers.)

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 2, 2009
  13. pimpom

    chuckcar Guest

    "pimpom" <> wrote in

    > I always thought it would be nice to be able to completely wipe
    > clean *only* the free spaces of a hard disk partition. My reason
    > for wanting such a utility is not security or privacy, but to
    > avoid bringing up a lot of clutter in case I ever need to recover
    > accidentally deleted data, after deletion but before doing the
    > next 'wipe'.
    >
    > Unless my memory's playing tricks on me, I'm sure I once found
    > and downloaded just such a free tool. But I can't find it now,
    > either in my hard disk or on the internet. Does anyone know of
    > such a utility? TIA.

    *Ages* ago - before windows 3.1 PCtools had a DoD standard rewrite to
    wipe space as did xtree versions. However if you wish to undelete files,
    keep in mind that windows *itself* is constantly writing and erasing
    from the hard drive, so the nearer the particular spot is to the begining
    of the hard drive partition, the more likely it will be lost forever due
    to it being preferred for speed reasons.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Apr 2, 2009
  14. pimpom

    Top Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 18:54:55 GMT, Aardvark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 19:17:19 +0100, meerkat wrote:
    > >
    > >> It``l

    > >A very novel and interesting way of spelling that contraction, mate.
    > >
    > >:)
    > >
    > >BTW I assume you've checked out www.comparethemeerkat.com already?

    > Back from the porcelain bus wheel.
    >
    > A 12 year old could have done the site better.
    > Oh I'm sorry. You're only 10.

    And you are still only an idiot.

    --
    Powered by Windows 7 beta

    Top, Apr 2, 2009
  15. Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 15:20:30 -0400, richard <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Back from the porcelain bus wheel.
    >>
    >> A 12 year old could have done the site better.
    >> Oh I'm sorry. You're only 10.

    > LOL... And what was YOUR site again, St00pid?

    Tell me Ebby, where *do* you find the time in your busy day to ride
    Richys leg *too*?

    Inquiring minds want to know :)

    --
    http://www.eyeonpalin.org
    ________ ______ _____________

    §ñühw¤£f, Apr 2, 2009
  16. pimpom

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 15:20:30 -0400, richard wrote:

    > A 12 year old could have done the site better. Oh I'm sorry. You're only
    > 10.

    Not my site, you dickhead.

    And I suspect it's meant to look slightly unprofessional, as the joke
    stems from a TV ad in this country for www.comparethemarket.com .

    I should think the humour of the pretended confusion would be totally
    lost on you.

    Aardvark, Apr 3, 2009
  17. pimpom

    thanatoid Guest

    "pimpom" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    >> Get Eraser here.
    >> http://www.heidi.ie/node/6
    >>
    >> It``l do what you want.
    >>

    > Thanks. I think Eraser is actually the one I found before,
    > though there are others. Funny though, I still can't find
    > the one I downloaded earlier on my hard disk.

    "Mutilate" ? Very nice IMHO. Not as good as "Eraser" I believe
    (although I've not tried Eraser) but certainly good enough for
    normal people who don't do bad things.

    thanatoid, Apr 3, 2009
  18. pimpom

    thanatoid Guest

    <SNIP>

    thanatoid, Apr 3, 2009
  19. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > "pimpom" <> wrote in
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>> Get Eraser here.
    >>> http://www.heidi.ie/node/6
    >>>
    >>> It``l do what you want.
    >>>

    >> Thanks. I think Eraser is actually the one I found before,
    >> though there are others. Funny though, I still can't find
    >> the one I downloaded earlier on my hard disk.
    >>

    > "Mutilate" ? Very nice IMHO. Not as good as "Eraser" I believe
    > (although I've not tried Eraser) but certainly good enough for
    > normal people who don't do bad things.

    Thanks. Always good to know about alternatives. As I said in my
    first post, my main reason for wanting to have such a tool is to
    avoid bringing up a mess of unwanted deleted data in case I ever
    wanted to recover data that was recently deleted by accident. Not
    for hiding anything illegal or naughty :)

    Hey, that was you who wanted to hook up a UPS to some heavy-duty
    batteries quite some time ago, wasn't it? How did it go?

    pimpom, Apr 3, 2009
  20. pimpom

    thanatoid Guest

    "pimpom" <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:

    <SNIP>

    >> "Mutilate" ? Very nice IMHO. Not as good as "Eraser" I
    >> believe (although I've not tried Eraser) but certainly
    >> good enough for normal people who don't do bad things.

    > Thanks. Always good to know about alternatives.

    There are quite a few others, go to a good software site and
    look up "disk wiper" or "free space eraser" or something under
    system or file utilities. I like mutilate, it's very nicely
    designed.

    > As I said
    > in my first post, my main reason for wanting to have such a
    > tool is to avoid bringing up a mess of unwanted deleted
    > data in case I ever wanted to recover data that was
    > recently deleted by accident.

    I never thought of that - but I would imagine the danger is that
    if you wipe all the "free space" on the disk, you will be wiping
    the deleted stuff you want to recover as well. The BEST and free
    undelete program for Windows is called REST 2514. Available
    everywhere.

    > Hey, that was you who wanted to hook up a UPS to some
    > heavy-duty batteries quite some time ago, wasn't it? How
    > did it go?

    You have a good memory!
    The ultimate consensus (or as close to one as is possible in a
    group like this) was that marine batteries should be used. The
    cost of one of those renders the project more costly than just
    buying the Chinese 12V replacement batteries. If found a shop
    which carries them, they ARE getting more expensive, but the
    last one has lasted 2 or 3 years - so far so good... Thanks for
    asking...

    thanatoid, Apr 4, 2009