  1. Are there places that you can access via DSL with a secure encypted link,
    that you can back up your data to, where they can also be absolutely
    trusted not to snoop or spy on it?

    Sarah Houston, Jan 31, 2008

  2. Sarah Houston

    Todd H. Guest

    Sarah Houston <> writes:

    > Are there places that you can access via DSL with a secure encypted link,
    > that you can back up your data to, where they can also be absolutely
    > trusted not to snoop or spy on it?

    Hi Sarah,

    If you can strongly encrypt on your end, then you eliminate the
    worry.

    Unfortunately, the folks in control of the hardware can snoop on
    whatever they want, but if you encrypt the data on your side before it
    hits the wire and their equipment, that ceases to be a risk (provided
    the encryption is strong and keys secured).

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., Jan 31, 2008

  3. Sarah Houston

    Rick M Guest

    Sarah Houston wrote:
    > Are there places that you can access via DSL with a secure encypted link,
    > that you can back up your data to, where they can also be absolutely
    > trusted not to snoop or spy on it?

    "absolutely"? Never. If someone's life depends on it, don't do it.
    Otherwise, encrypt it yourself and send it away.

    Even 128 bit encryption can be cracked by NSA computers if they want.

    Rick M, Feb 1, 2008
  4. Sarah Houston

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Rick M wrote:

    > "absolutely"? Never. If someone's life depends on it, don't do it.
    > Otherwise, encrypt it yourself and send it away.
    >
    > Even 128 bit encryption can be cracked by NSA computers if they want.

    Considering even an unknown superior technology which does 10000 calculation
    steps instead of 10 between two thermodynamically stable states, this would
    still require much more energy than boiling all water on earth.

    A quantum computer reducing it effectively to 64 bit would be a highly
    compressed block of oxygen, shielded much better than a 10 light years thick
    wall.

    So, well, may I call your statement total bullshit?

    Sebastian G., Feb 1, 2008
  5. Sarah Houston

    Todd H. Guest

    "Sebastian G." <> writes:

    > So, well, may I call your statement total bullshit?

    I'm gonna save that quote to us against you later. :)

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., Feb 1, 2008
  6. Sarah Houston

    Casper Guest

    Sarah Houston was thinking very hard :
    > Are there places that you can access via DSL with a secure encypted link,
    > that you can back up your data to, where they can also be absolutely
    > trusted not to snoop or spy on it?

    Steganos online backup and swissdisk both claim to store your data
    encrypted and that not even their employees can access it if you lose
    your password.

    Casper, Feb 1, 2008
  7. Sarah Houston

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Casper wrote:

    > Sarah Houston was thinking very hard :
    >> Are there places that you can access via DSL with a secure encypted link,
    >> that you can back up your data to, where they can also be absolutely
    >> trusted not to snoop or spy on it?

    > Steganos online backup and swissdisk both claim to store your data
    > encrypted and that not even their employees can access it if you lose
    > your password.

    Sure does Steganos make such a claim, since they want to sell their
    software. That doesn't make them any less untrustworthy.

    Sebastian G., Feb 1, 2008