    username/passwords. Or the whole 'tunnel' is secure until the end (ie. the
    destination site)?

    Thank you

    Alt Thomy, Jun 4, 2004

  2. Alt Thomy

    Anonymous Guest

    "Alt Thomy" <> wrote in news:c9peqg$mb3$:

    > Hello. I am sorry if I should post in another group but I am not sure.
    >
    > As we all do, I occasionaly use secure sites (https://....) in my
    > browser. What I want to know is if it is possible eg. for the
    > administrators of my ISP (or the admin of my proxy or VPN server if I
    > use one), to see my username/passwords. Or the whole 'tunnel' is
    > secure until the end (ie. the destination site)?
    >
    > Thank you

    Hi
    If using SSL (https protocol) encryption, it is not possible for anyone
    intercepting/sniffing packets to determine the passwords/usernames, however
    you should ensure you use a strong algorithm with a minimum keylength of
    128bits as a determined cracker with enough processing power and time on
    his hands could decrypt the code if you use weak algorithm, or a keylength
    under 128 bits.

    Anonymous, Jun 4, 2004

  3. Alt Thomy

    Plompetta Guest

    "Anonymous" <> wrote in message
    > "Alt Thomy" <> wrote in news:c9peqg$mb3$:
    >
    > > Hello. I am sorry if I should post in another group but I am not sure.
    > >
    > > As we all do, I occasionaly use secure sites (https://....) in my
    > > browser. What I want to know is if it is possible eg. for the
    > > administrators of my ISP (or the admin of my proxy or VPN server if I
    > > use one), to see my username/passwords. Or the whole 'tunnel' is
    > > secure until the end (ie. the destination site)?
    > >
    > > Thank you
    > >

    > Hi
    > If using SSL (https protocol) encryption, it is not possible for anyone
    > intercepting/sniffing packets to determine the passwords/usernames,

    however
    > you should ensure you use a strong algorithm with a minimum keylength of
    > 128bits as a determined cracker with enough processing power and time on
    > his hands could decrypt the code if you use weak algorithm, or a keylength
    > under 128 bits.

    I take it that it is commonly considered that SSL 128 bits is unbreakable?

    And I assume the way it works is that the client (me) has the SSL software
    on his computer (say through IE), and so everything going from my computer
    down the phone line, through my ISP, to the server (which has SSL) is
    encrypted.

    Plompetta, Jun 5, 2004