    is great but if the backups aren't protected it sort of defeats the
    purpose. Does anyone know of any good security-minded backup programs or
    of good security techniques to ensure the security of my backups?

    Anonymous, Aug 6, 2003

  2. Anonymous

    Frode Guest

    Frode, Aug 6, 2003

  3. Anonymous

    nemo outis Guest

    In article <3f3154ff$>, "Frode" <> wrote:

    >Anonymous wrote:
    >> encryption is great but if the backups aren't protected it sort of
    >> defeats the purpose. Does anyone know of any good security-minded backup
    >> programs or of good security techniques to ensure the security of my
    >> backups?

    >Personally I copy my vital data to a PGP Disk volume and then burn that to
    >CD. If you're not worried about anybody sniffing the traffic between your
    >two computers the obvious solution would be to install harddrive encryption
    >on that computer as well. Or volume based encryption on it that you share
    >for backup purposes and unmount after each backup.
    >
    >- --
    >Frode

    I do my primary backups from time to time with Norton Ghost (run
    from a boot diskette) using the -ia switch which causes it to
    copy all sectors (including the first 63) in raw (i.e.,
    still encrypted with Safeboot Solo) format to another HD
    (although I could span it across CDs) This is fully restorable.

    The downside is that there is no compression (i.e., there is no
    point to turning compression on, so don't!) and the backup is
    therefore as large as the original drive regardless of the amount
    of actual data stored on it . C'est la vie.

    For incremental backups, Drivecrypt container file copied to CD
    (I went with Drivecrypt for backward compatability with
    Scramdisk, but there are arguably more robust programs of a
    similar nature out there: PGP, Bestcrypt, Vdisk, etc.)

    Regards,

    nemo outis, Aug 7, 2003