Secret Sector Backdoor / Security Breach

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Security.Concerned.User@gmail.com, Oct 22, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello everyone,

    Recently I've realized that Windows XP Pro (SP1) secretly writes data
    to hard-disk sector(s) that were beyond its
    installation-partition boundaries; at that time I used a
    basic Windows XP installation on a 3-GB partition,
    and the rest of the harddisk was unformatted, for all Windows cared.

    I should also mention that my WinXP partition is formatted on FAT32,
    but I am capable of accessing NTFS partitions, if need be, using
    NTFS4DOS, (which I didn't).

    Obviously I was only able to have discovered that with
    an MSDOS-run Disk Editor capable of accessing all 160 million
    sectors of my 80GB hard disk, and making a text-based datafile
    containing sector numbers (Cyl., Head, Sector + Index),
    that was runnable under pure MSDOS mode avaiable by booting
    from a BootCD / BootDVD.

    I wasn't quite sure what the nature of that data was,
    and whether or not it was a copy of the swapfile
    (e.g., PageFile.SYS), or some other data off RAM,
    or maybe password(s) or other sensitive data
    that I may have been working on prior to re-booting
    from my BootDVD.

    So my questions are:

    1. Would anybody be familiar with that sector-writing stuff?
    2. If so, what is the nature of the data written?
    3. Would password(s) typed at MSDOS-based program(s), run within
    Dos-Box windows, be secretly saved there too?
    4. How Am I do prevent that from happening?
    5. How Am I to erase such data?

    Thanks much,
    SCU
    , Oct 22, 2007