Secret Project - Sun Keyboard Mod

Discussion in 'Case Modding' started by bigal, Aug 31, 2005.

?

Keyboard Mods are Unique!

  1. Yeah, but so is a monkey coming out of my.....

    100.0%
  2. Sure, I'll grant you that.

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Wow! Bigal is the most supreme modder ever...at least for today!

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I just couldn't call the Sun X-Terminal Mod complete without modding the keyboard that came with it. So I have begun a project that is coming together in my mind as I start cutting.
    My concept is basically to spell out "Sun X-Terminal Mod" in a piece of plexiglas that is inserted where the keys were. This will be lit up with cold cathode tubes (What else from the house of Bigal Computers?) from within the keyboard.
    Here are the preliminary pictures. This might turn into a keyboard "how to" guide later down the road. There is still a lot of work to do - namely all that etching. Any ideas?
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    bigal, Aug 31, 2005

  2. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Nobody cares?

    bigal, Sep 3, 2005

  3. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    i do...
    just u have it already set out and were waiting for progress report... hop to it get the mod done otherwisse u will be as slow as me someday! :|

    unholy, Sep 3, 2005
  4. bigal

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    Can't wait to see it finished :)

    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 3, 2005
  5. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    My bro tried something like this with neon string... didnt work very well, ithe string was too thick for you to push the keys down. It looked pretty cool, but it became a show piece :p

    XhArD, Sep 3, 2005
  6. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    except Al is using the Keyboard case as a photo frame :D... while ur at it give AMD a little bit o wire :D(make their Symbol too).. to hold it in place use a bit of hot glue (clear stuff).

    unholy, Sep 3, 2005
  7. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Now you're talking! I didn't even think about spelling out "AMD", as I was going to spell out "Sun X-Terminal" or something like that. I want to use EL wire, as I have 3 strands in stock (all blue). I have a purple cold cathode behind the keyboard, so I'll need to cut out some areas for the light to shine out the rear. I want that purple light to shine up on the silver wall I have where the Sun X-Terminal chasis is mounted. It should look sweet.
    This morning I mounted my Dremel tool into my vice, and then I carefully trimmed off the excess tabs from where I cut the plastic center part. You have to keep the Dremel tool very stable, and bring the part to the sanding disc slowly, or you'll bite into the finished edge and ruin it. I can't get another keyboard right now, so I was very careful.
    By the way, check out how our day-long motorcycle ride went yesterday right here: www.bigal-computers.net/worms.php

    bigal, Sep 4, 2005
  8. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    A little more work accomplished....

    Tonight, even though we have friends over and we're gaming, I elected to do a tad bit of work on the keyboard shell.  I cut out two windows for the cold cathode light to shine through, and I also cleaned up the edges of the keyboard cover.  If you remember, I needed to cut the divider sections out to make room for my sign.  The sign ideas are still open for suggestions, by the way....
    [​IMG]
    Larger image:  http://www.bigal-computers.net/bigal/Sun-keyboard-02.JPG
    [​IMG]
    Larger image:  http://www.bigal-computers.net/bigal/Sun-keyboard-01.JPG

    bigal, Sep 5, 2005
  9. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    sweeet. wont be long now...

    XhArD, Sep 5, 2005
  10. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    your going to want a back plate.... otherwise ur el wire is going to look pretty bad with all the other lines...
    but nice job so far... keep it coming :D

    unholy, Sep 5, 2005
  11. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Got ya covered...

    Actually, I figured out the backing plate last night. My Marine buddy (see gaming picture below; he's on the left) suggested I paint the current plate black. Then I thought about the black duct tape (3" wide) that I have tons of. So I wrapped the plate, and placed it in the frame. This should work out fine. Now I need to concentrate on the words or symbols that will be displayed with El wire.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    bigal, Sep 5, 2005
  12. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Very cool, that tape worked well. So ur trying to get the logo or whatever done now aye. I agree with unholy, AMD and the logo would be good. But its up to you, seeing as its yours and your making it :p

    XhArD, Sep 6, 2005
  13. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Draw two sysmbols the AMD logo and the Sun microsystems logo... and maybe even the Ati cause it s a ATi powered system :D
    looking good with the black back :D

    unholy, Sep 6, 2005
  14. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I need to extend the black tape background too, so it continues the theme of the tape that surrounds the chassis.
    Regarding the logos / text to be spelled out in EL wire, my Marine friend suggested "Big Al's Computers". What ever I do, I need to keep the letters fairly big so the EL wire can bend to form the letters. It would be much easier to make "AMD" as opposed to the Sun Microsystems symbol. If I drop the EL wire idea, I should look for something that easier to form into complex shapes. In fact, something that glows when exposed to UV light would be nice. That purple cold cathode tube can easily be swapped out for a UV tube....

    bigal, Sep 6, 2005
  15. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Yeah, but if you arent gonna use EL Wire, whatare you gonna use? Cut up some uv reactive cables and use them maybe?

    XhArD, Sep 6, 2005
  16. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Keys to my success...

    I have another idea, but it will probably cost too much. How about a scrolling LED display, one that I could program with different messages? Kind of like those 4-line LCD displays designed to be installed in a 5.25" bay, only much larger - I have 19" length by 5" height. My initial research found a possible fit, but it was $199. I can't afford to spend that kind of money right now...
    Regarding UV-reactive cables, that might work. If I remove the UV-reactive sleeve, and trim it into strips, I could lay those out in a text pattern and light the whole mess up with a 12" UV cold cathode.
    I'm kind of stoked about being able to change the display message. Ideally, I would install a 19" by 5" LCD of the quality you use for your desktop displays. Then I could display wallpaper pictures and things of this nature!
    By the way, here's a picture of my new "laptop size" keyboard that cost me $30 at Microcenter in Chantilly, Virginia USA. I forget the brand - something like Areados. It works well, is small and compact, yet has all the keys I need. The control key isn't in the bottom left corner though, it's one key in. That confuses me and my touch-typing fingers. I guess I'll get used to it. :roll:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

    bigal, Sep 7, 2005
  17. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Dude! ive got the exact same keyboard,but no silver trim, its black. the key on the bottom left is the Fn key aye, Function? and Del is juston the left of the left arrow.Took me a while to get use to it :p

    XhArD, Sep 7, 2005
  18. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Paint the Log on and use Hot glue(not too much) at joins or turns u should be able to go within 1cm of the true image.. 1cm because i am covering my back so i dont have any legal problems :p
    U can also use UV paint and UV lamps...

    unholy, Sep 7, 2005
  19. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I did some research - here is the Adesso Mini-keyboard, model AKB-901
    http://www.adesso.com/products_detail.asp?productid=172
    [​IMG]
    I had looked on the box and could not find a model number, but it was listed on their web site. I like the laptop-style keys, and the fact that it's small. I still like my Cooler Master keyboards more, but this Adesso fits better on the workbench.
    Unholy - are you suggesting I paint a Windows logon page onto that keyboard frame and try to fool everyone into thinking it's a real desktop display?

    bigal, Sep 7, 2005
  20. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    yes, great idea!!! *looks left, then right, and left agains*
    I have an idea... have u ever looked into LCDs?
    u might find it costs 50 bucks for a Lcd and like 150 for an ok Analog to Digi.. or maybe u could just hook up two graphical LCDs :D or get a pci graphcs card and plug in 2 littler LCDs, i heard the PS One portable LCD are easy to convert to VGA, specially the Ntsc versions!

    unholy, Sep 7, 2005