Secret Code 'traces copies'

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by V.B., Oct 19, 2005.

  1. V.B.

    V.B. Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. V.B.

    Winged Guest

    V.B. wrote:
    > Check this out:
    >
    > http://www.news24.com/News24/Technology/News/0,,2-13-1443_1819331,00.html

    I keep seeing this info like it is something big and new and dangerous.

    I remember reading a number of years ago about them doing this for
    anti-counterfeiting.

    I am not exactly sure how it helps as when I buy a printer or any
    equipment I typically don't register it. I am not really even sure
    where the threat to privacy is. For example, to read what identifies
    many printers requires a microscope.

    If I am sending something I printed or giving it to anyone, I usually
    pretty well identify who I am, and usually identify far more information.

    If I were counterfeiting using commercial equipment (surely I could do
    better with other technologies but..), I doubt if I were a
    counterfeiter, I would leave an audit trail back to my door. I surely
    wouldn't use a device that could be traced back to me. Even typewriters
    are unique and that is much older technology.

    I can't see the issue here. I am far more worried about tootsie prints
    I leave across the Internet and all the nosy folks watching what I do
    and with whom I have never had a consensual relationship. The FBI
    reading something I printed don't worry me much as they are pretty well
    regulated in their activities. I worry far more about unregulated
    entities working outside the legal boundaries.

    http://www.crime-research.org/news/19.10.2005/cybercrime-id-theft-credit-card-fraud-spyware/

    I seldom print anything and most of what I print typically gets
    destroyed when done. To me this is more a magicians trick of making me
    look at something that really don't matter much while Rome is burning
    out the window.

    I just saw my first case of Windows DRM burning out a DVD-RW drive (not
    mine). These issues tend to bother me far more. Then next thing you
    know your printer will fail because you printed copyright material....

    Winged

    Winged, Oct 20, 2005

  3. Winged <> wrote:

    > I am not exactly sure how it helps as when I buy a printer or any
    > equipment I typically don't register it. I am not really even sure
    > where the threat to privacy is. For example, to read what identifies
    > many printers requires a microscope.

    Let's say you're opposed to a tyrannical government in your country -
    for example if you live in China, or Saudi-Arabia, or the USA ;-)

    You want to stage a leaflet-campaign against that government, and print
    the leaflets on your printer at home. Even though the government cannot
    trace them directly to you (as the printer wasn't registered), they
    still DO know the serial number of that printer - so if they ever find
    a reason to search your house, they'll note the serial number, check it
    against a database of unknown printers, and they'll know that it was
    you who printed the leaflets. Off you go to Guantanamo...

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing. - Aristotle

    Juergen Nieveler, Oct 20, 2005
  4. "Juergen Nieveler" <> wrote in message
    > Winged <> wrote:
    >
    > > I am not exactly sure how it helps as when I buy a printer or any
    > > equipment I typically don't register it. I am not really even sure
    > > where the threat to privacy is. For example, to read what identifies
    > > many printers requires a microscope.

    > Let's say you're opposed to a tyrannical government in your country -
    > for example if you live in China, or Saudi-Arabia, or the USA ;-)
    >
    > You want to stage a leaflet-campaign against that government, and print
    > the leaflets on your printer at home. Even though the government cannot
    > trace them directly to you (as the printer wasn't registered), they
    > still DO know the serial number of that printer - so if they ever find
    > a reason to search your house, they'll note the serial number, check it
    > against a database of unknown printers, and they'll know that it was
    > you who printed the leaflets. Off you go to Guantanamo...

    Point taken, although what's wrong with good ol' back and white, anyway? :eek:)

    TBH, most leaflets get printed at an actual printers (for, what? a twentieth
    of the cost per?) Not that I've any experience of this, natch. I live in the
    happy democratic world of Mr. T. Blair, whose government was elected 18% or
    so of the popular vote.. whose latest proposal is a government-mandated ID
    card that will be used, among other things, to act as a marker for /every/
    electronic financial transaction, rather than just everything above GBP10k.

    But back to the horror-story at hand, I just /knew/ I'd seen mention of this
    before..

    http://diwww.epfl.ch/w3lsp/publications/colour/pidwajnm.pdf (paper from
    2002)

    The thing that everyone's looking for US Patent 5530759, from IBM. February
    1995. If anyone happens to have one of the Xerox machines, then I'd be
    interested to see if the small-print of the manual references this patent
    (it should).

    If it /does/, then it's an easy way to tell who does what, I'd have thought.

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Oct 20, 2005
  5. "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

    > Point taken, although what's wrong with good ol' back and white,
    > anyway? :eek:)

    Depends on what is available :)

    > TBH, most leaflets get printed at an actual printers (for, what? a
    > twentieth of the cost per?)

    Most leaflets probably get printed on company printers at workplaces,
    for zero cost ;-)

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

    Juergen Nieveler, Oct 20, 2005
  6. Hairy One Kenobi, Oct 20, 2005
  7. V.B.

    Management Guest

    Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
    > "V.B." <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Check this out:
    >>
    >>http://www.news24.com/News24/Technology/News/0,,2-13-1443_1819331,00.html

    > A bit more detail from out-law.com:
    >
    > http://www.out-law.com/page-6239
    >
    > Still wondering when someone's going to mention that the printers probably
    > come in boxes with RFIDs attached.. <runs, hides> ;o)
    >
    > H1K

    Just remember, whatever you pay it's never yours and you are always
    theirs :0

    Charlie.

    --
    Broadcasting to the environs
    www.radiowymsey.org

    Management, Oct 21, 2005
  8. V.B.

    Guest

    Juergen Nieveler wrote:
    > Winged <> wrote:
    >
    > > I am not exactly sure how it helps as when I buy a printer or any
    > > equipment I typically don't register it. I am not really even sure
    > > where the threat to privacy is. For example, to read what identifies
    > > many printers requires a microscope.

    > Let's say you're opposed to a tyrannical government in your country -
    > for example if you live in China, or Saudi-Arabia, or the USA ;-)
    >
    > You want to stage a leaflet-campaign against that government, and print
    > the leaflets on your printer at home. Even though the government cannot
    > trace them directly to you (as the printer wasn't registered), they
    > still DO know the serial number of that printer - so if they ever find
    > a reason to search your house, they'll note the serial number, check it
    > against a database of unknown printers, and they'll know that it was
    > you who printed the leaflets. Off you go to Guantanamo...
    >

    > Juergen Nieveler
    > --
    > What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing. - Aristotle

    Pay with check or credit card, or send in a rebate, then the
    printer will be traced back to you.

    , Oct 23, 2005
  9. V.B.

    Imhotep Guest