    Secondary IDE dual fifo has a yellow exclamation mark, code 10, CDRW not
    recognised in Device Manager and is inaccessible (It does appear in the
    BIOS). Operate with Win ME. Can anyone help? Thanks

    Sheffix, Oct 24, 2003

  2. Sheffix

    Harrison Guest

    Use the ME restore feature and go back to a previous configuration.
    Use scanreg to restore the registry to a previous configuration.
    Remove the errant controller and let windows redetect it.
    Right-click and choose properties, then update driver...let windows
    search for...

    Harrison, Oct 24, 2003

  3. Sheffix

    Sheffix Guest

    "Harrison" <> wrote in message

    > Use the ME restore feature and go back to a previous configuration.
    > Use scanreg to restore the registry to a previous configuration.
    > Remove the errant controller and let windows redetect it.
    > Right-click and choose properties, then update driver...let windows
    > search for...
    >
    > On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:02:47 +0100, "Sheffix"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Secondary IDE dual fifo has a yellow exclamation mark, code 10, CDRW not
    > >recognised in Device Manager and is inaccessible (It does appear in the
    > >BIOS). Operate with Win ME. Can anyone help? Thanks

    I've tried all those things. The driver re-install gets rid until I boot up
    again and amkes no difference to the non recognition of the CDRW. I did
    scanreg, used restore then as a lst resort took the PC back to factory
    settings - didn't work. I've removed the controllers which were then
    detected, reinstalled complete with yellow exclamation mark and no CDRW.

    Sheffix, Oct 24, 2003
  4. Sheffix

    Harrison Guest

    It's sounding more like a hardware problem then.
    Try it in the other channel if possible, or better yet in another
    computer.
    If it fails there, it's probably the drive.

    Harrison, Oct 24, 2003
  5. Sheffix

    Sheffix Guest

    "Harrison" <> wrote in message
    > It's sounding more like a hardware problem then.
    > Try it in the other channel if possible, or better yet in another
    > computer.
    > If it fails there, it's probably the drive.

    I did get a glimmer of hope when I switched the CDRW into the slot in which
    is occupied by the DVD Rom/Hard Disk combination. In safe mode a CDRW did
    appear in the device manager. The trouble is I cannot get the PC to start in
    normal widows then. It just stalls at a point prior to loading. The set up
    is Hard Disk master, DVD slave on one channel, CDRW as master on its own on
    the other. Presumably the PC boots up in a particular order which is
    affectyed when I switch them around. Is there anything else I should do once
    I've switched channels so the PC will boot up normally?

    Sheffix, Oct 24, 2003
  6. Sheffix

    mark mandel Guest

    "Sheffix" <> wrote in message
    > Secondary IDE dual fifo has a yellow exclamation mark, code 10, CDRW not
    > recognised in Device Manager and is inaccessible (It does appear in the
    > BIOS). Operate with Win ME. Can anyone help? Thanks

    Make sure the cable connections are tight and update the drivers.

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, Oct 24, 2003
  7. Sheffix

    Harrison Guest

    The hard disk should stay as the primary master, but you should be
    able swap the DVD and the CD-RW around. You will of course have to
    change the jumpers on the DVD from slave to master and on the CD-RW
    from master to slave.
    Will it boot this way?

    Harrison, Oct 24, 2003
  8. Sheffix

    mark mandel Guest

    "Sheffix" <> wrote in message

    > "Harrison" <> wrote in message
    > > It's sounding more like a hardware problem then.
    > > Try it in the other channel if possible, or better yet in another
    > > computer.
    > > If it fails there, it's probably the drive.
    > >

    > I did get a glimmer of hope when I switched the CDRW into the slot in

    which
    > is occupied by the DVD Rom/Hard Disk combination. In safe mode a CDRW did
    > appear in the device manager. The trouble is I cannot get the PC to start

    in
    > normal widows then. It just stalls at a point prior to loading. The set up
    > is Hard Disk master, DVD slave on one channel, CDRW as master on its own

    on
    > the other. Presumably the PC boots up in a particular order which is
    > affectyed when I switch them around. Is there anything else I should do

    once
    > I've switched channels so the PC will boot up normally?

    After reading just read the other replies, I would add(to what I said before
    about updating the drivers from the manufacturer's website)that you should
    have both the DVD and CDRW connected to the same controller. In my setup,
    for instance, the CDRW is set for master and the DVD player is set for slave
    and it's run perfectly from day one.

    Mark

    mark mandel, Oct 24, 2003
  9. Sheffix

    dr_hardware Guest

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > After reading just read the other replies, I would add(to what I said

    before
    > about updating the drivers from the manufacturer's website)that you should
    > have both the DVD and CDRW connected to the same controller. In my setup,
    > for instance, the CDRW is set for master and the DVD player is set for

    slave
    > and it's run perfectly from day one.
    >
    > Mark

    Good advice.

    dr_hardware, Oct 24, 2003
  10. Sheffix

    Sheffix Guest

    > "Sheffix" <> wrote in message
    > > Secondary IDE dual fifo has a yellow exclamation mark, code 10, CDRW not
    > > recognised in Device Manager and is inaccessible (It does appear in the
    > > BIOS). Operate with Win ME. Can anyone help? Thanks
    > >

    > Make sure the cable connections are tight and update the drivers.
    >
    > Mark Mandell

    Thanks for the advice, I'll go away and try it and let you know whether it
    works.

    Sheffix, Oct 24, 2003
  11. Sheffix

    Sheffix Guest

    OK - I've switched things around inside with the following results. On the
    primary channel now I have Hard Disk master and CDRW as slave. On the
    secondary channel is the DVD Rom only. The CDRW shows up in the BIOS in it's
    new position. The light on the front doesn't keep flashing now and it opens
    and closes. However, it still doesn't appear in the device manager and can't
    be accessed bu programmes such as Nero Burn. What does this mean? (I haven't
    changed the jumpers on the DVD so it appears as slave at present, on its own
    on the secondary channel.)
    Any clues?

    Sheffix, Oct 24, 2003
  12. Sheffix

    Shep© Guest

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:02:47 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Sheffix"
    <> wrote :

    >Secondary IDE dual fifo has a yellow exclamation mark, code 10, CDRW not
    >recognised in Device Manager and is inaccessible (It does appear in the
    >BIOS). Operate with Win ME. Can anyone help? Thanks

    What make and model of motherboard and it's chip set used?

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    It's a G not a J in gmx for email

    Shep©, Oct 24, 2003
  13. In article <bnbiu9$f3g$>,
    says...

    >OK - I've switched things around inside with the following results. On the
    >primary channel now I have Hard Disk master and CDRW as slave. On the
    >secondary channel is the DVD Rom only. The CDRW shows up in the BIOS in it's
    >new position. The light on the front doesn't keep flashing now and it opens
    >and closes. However, it still doesn't appear in the device manager and can't
    >be accessed bu programmes such as Nero Burn. What does this mean? (I haven't
    >changed the jumpers on the DVD so it appears as slave at present, on its own
    >on the secondary channel.)
    >Any clues?

    If the DVD drive is the only ide device on the secondary channel then change
    the drive's jumper to single. It sounds like all your problems _may_ be
    related to jumper settings and/or ide cable problems. It's a good idea to
    have master devices like your HDD on the end of the ide cable with the slave
    between the MB connection and the HDD. On the secondary channel with only one
    device, it really doesn't matter where on the cable the device is, but you
    could just put it on the end. Make sure you do all that and triple check the
    jumpers and make sure the connections are all tight.

    Another Airnet User, Oct 25, 2003
  14. Sheffix

    Plato Guest

    Sheffix wrote:

    > Secondary IDE dual fifo has a yellow exclamation mark, code 10, CDRW not
    > recognised in Device Manager and is inaccessible (It does appear in the
    > BIOS). Operate with Win ME. Can anyone help? Thanks

    See if booting to dos with a clean, virus free bootdisk that has several
    universal cdrom drivers on it finds your cdrom. If not, then you have a
    hardware problem. It may NOT be the CDRW, it may be another bad drive eg
    zip or old HDD on the same channel of course thats causing the entire
    channel to go down.

    Keep in mind that just because it's seen by the BIOS doesn't mean its in
    working order as the BIOS is only reading info off a chip on the drive.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Oct 26, 2003