    anymore. This is despite the fact that in Power Saving I have set it to turn
    off after 3 minutes. This never happened before. Has anyone any ideas?

    Thanks
    Mother Farquhar, Jul 10, 2005

  2. Mother Farquhar

    Malke Guest

    Mother Farquhar wrote:

    > My secondary HD has started to turn itself on (which I don't mind
    > because it did that now and again anyway) but it's just that it won't
    > turn itself off anymore. This is despite the fact that in Power Saving
    > I have set it to turn off after 3 minutes. This never happened before.
    > Has anyone any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    Something running in the background that originates on the second hard
    drive? Only you can tell what is running on your computer. Do
    clean-boot troubleshooting to determine this:

    Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
    and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Jul 10, 2005

  3. Mother Farquhar

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Mom.

    Dust bunnies?

    I'm not kidding. I can't see your rig, so my question may be wholly
    inappropriate. But dust and lint can collect around exposed pins and, it
    time, form a large enough ball to cause a short-circuit. Maybe not a solid
    electrical connection, but just enough to cause mysterious phenomena. :>(

    (That's my theory as to why my DIMM socket shorted out a few months ago,
    permanently burning the DIMM's little gold fingers. A new DIMM still worked
    fine in the other sockets, but I retired the motherboard, anyhow.)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX