Secondary Display Detection

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by SCCC, Apr 22, 2005.

  1. SCCC

    SCCC Guest

    We are having a few problems with secondary display detection on video cards
    that are connected to projectors, displays with extension cables, or
    splitter boxes.

    It seems the ability of the different chipsets to handle detection issues
    varies widely.

    For example:

    S3 integrated laptop: Always enables the secondary even if no device is
    connected
    GeForce MX400: Won't enable the secondary at all unless a display is
    directly connected without an extension lead.
    ATI Radeon 9600: Enables the secondary always; detaches it if no device is
    detected.

    The S3 is a dream. The Radeon is not so easy to use, but can be turned on
    just by a couple of clicks in Display properties. The Geforce is a pain in
    the ass. We have to take special steps just to ensure we even can attach the
    display in Display Properties.

    I'm looking at a PCI card that I need to put in a PC that has onboard
    graphics and no AGP slot. Would a Radeon 9250 behave roughly the same as the
    9600? Is there a better option?

    I also need to find a card to replace that loathsome Nvidia :)
    SCCC, Apr 22, 2005

  2. SCCC

    Richard Guest

    SCCC wrote:

    > S3 integrated laptop: Always enables the secondary even if no device is
    > connected
    > GeForce MX400: Won't enable the secondary at all unless a display is
    > directly connected without an extension lead.
    > ATI Radeon 9600: Enables the secondary always; detaches it if no device is
    > detected.
    >
    > The S3 is a dream. The Radeon is not so easy to use, but can be turned on
    > just by a couple of clicks in Display properties. The Geforce is a pain in
    > the ass. We have to take special steps just to ensure we even can attach the
    > display in Display Properties.
    >
    > I'm looking at a PCI card that I need to put in a PC that has onboard
    > graphics and no AGP slot. Would a Radeon 9250 behave roughly the same as the
    > 9600? Is there a better option?
    >
    > I also need to find a card to replace that loathsome Nvidia :)

    I have the same issue here, as both my monitors were connected thru VGA-BNC
    cables, the nvidia did have an option in the driver to force a detection of a
    secondary display in the driver, no luck on the ATI, I have to have my crappy
    15" TFT as the secondary on that card and one of the CRTs as the primary of the
    crap PCI card. Means that the 2 CRTs are on seperate cards rather then the same one.
    Richard, Apr 22, 2005