    Is it possible to configure a "secondary" bookmarks file that FF will
    pick up if the primary one isn't available?
    Thanks, David.

    DavidM, Sep 2, 2006

  2. DavidM

    gwtc Guest

    DavidM wrote:
    > I have relocated my FF bookmarks file to a network connected
    > hard drive,
    > using the "browser.bookmarks.file" parameter in about:config.
    > This enables me to always have my current bookmarks whether
    > I'm using my PC or wireless connected laptop. Seems to work
    > very well, and doesn't suffer from the delays of having an
    > internet located bookmarks file as offered by some companies.
    >
    > However, if I use the laptop away from my home network the
    > bookmarks file isn't available and Ihave to mess around changing
    > the config to a local copy.
    >
    > Is it possible to configure a "secondary" bookmarks file that FF will
    > pick up if the primary one isn't available?
    > Thanks, David.

    what do you mean by that?

    --
    Peeves That Your Dog Has About You . . . A Message From Your Dog:

    Blaming your farts (gas) on me . . . not funny . . . not funny at all!!!!

    Yelling at me for barking . . . I'M A FRIGGIN' DOG, YOU IDIOT!

    Taking me for a walk, then not letting me check stuff out. Exactly
    whose walk is this anyways?

    Any trick that involves balancing food on my nose . . . stop it!

    .. . . to be continued

    gwtc, Sep 2, 2006

  3. DavidM

    Ed Mullen Guest

    DavidM wrote:
    > I have relocated my FF bookmarks file to a network connected
    > hard drive,
    > using the "browser.bookmarks.file" parameter in about:config.
    > This enables me to always have my current bookmarks whether
    > I'm using my PC or wireless connected laptop. Seems to work
    > very well, and doesn't suffer from the delays of having an
    > internet located bookmarks file as offered by some companies.
    >
    > However, if I use the laptop away from my home network the
    > bookmarks file isn't available and Ihave to mess around changing
    > the config to a local copy.
    >
    > Is it possible to configure a "secondary" bookmarks file that FF will
    > pick up if the primary one isn't available?
    > Thanks, David.

    Not that I know of. Why not just periodically copy your bookmarks file
    from the network drive to your laptop? You could even automate it via a
    batch file as a scheduled job.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Sep 2, 2006
  4. DavidM

    DavidM Guest

    "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    > DavidM wrote:
    >> I have relocated my FF bookmarks file to a network connected
    >> hard drive,
    >> using the "browser.bookmarks.file" parameter in about:config.
    >> This enables me to always have my current bookmarks whether
    >> I'm using my PC or wireless connected laptop. Seems to work
    >> very well, and doesn't suffer from the delays of having an
    >> internet located bookmarks file as offered by some companies.
    >>
    >> However, if I use the laptop away from my home network the
    >> bookmarks file isn't available and Ihave to mess around changing
    >> the config to a local copy.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to configure a "secondary" bookmarks file that FF will
    >> pick up if the primary one isn't available?
    >> Thanks, David.
    >>

    > Not that I know of. Why not just periodically copy your bookmarks file
    > from the network drive to your laptop? You could even automate it via a
    > batch file as a scheduled job.
    >
    > --
    > Ed Mullen
    > http://edmullen.net
    > http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    > http://abington.edmullen.net
    > Don't bother me. I'm living happily ever after.

    Thanks Ed, that is what I'm doing already, via a batch file run from the
    Start menu. However in order to then use the copied file IF I am not
    connected to the network it means using about:config in FF to remove
    or change the pointer to the networked bookmarks file (then
    remember to change it back afterwards).
    I know I could keep the bookmarks file on the laptop, and just use
    batch files to synchronise it to the networked bookmarks file at
    start up and shut down but not yet found a way to auto run a batch
    file at shutdown.
    David

    DavidM, Sep 4, 2006
  5. DavidM

    Ed Mullen Guest

    DavidM wrote:
    > "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    >> DavidM wrote:
    >>> I have relocated my FF bookmarks file to a network connected
    >>> hard drive,
    >>> using the "browser.bookmarks.file" parameter in about:config.
    >>> This enables me to always have my current bookmarks whether
    >>> I'm using my PC or wireless connected laptop. Seems to work
    >>> very well, and doesn't suffer from the delays of having an
    >>> internet located bookmarks file as offered by some companies.
    >>>
    >>> However, if I use the laptop away from my home network the
    >>> bookmarks file isn't available and Ihave to mess around changing
    >>> the config to a local copy.
    >>>
    >>> Is it possible to configure a "secondary" bookmarks file that FF will
    >>> pick up if the primary one isn't available?
    >>> Thanks, David.
    >>>

    >> Not that I know of. Why not just periodically copy your bookmarks file
    >> from the network drive to your laptop? You could even automate it via a
    >> batch file as a scheduled job.
    >>

    > Thanks Ed, that is what I'm doing already, via a batch file run from the
    > Start menu. However in order to then use the copied file IF I am not
    > connected to the network it means using about:config in FF to remove
    > or change the pointer to the networked bookmarks file (then
    > remember to change it back afterwards).

    Duh! Of course. Sorry about that. Hmm. You could have two user.js
    files. Name them user_local.js and user_remote.js. In the "local" one
    have the preference set to:

    user_pref("browser.bookmarks.file", "[drive]:\\dir1_the
    _network_file_location\\bookmarks.html");

    In the "remote" one set it to:

    user_pref("browser.bookmarks.file", "[drive]:\\dir1_the
    _local_file_location\\bookmarks.html");

    > I know I could keep the bookmarks file on the laptop, and just use
    > batch files to synchronise it to the networked bookmarks file at
    > start up and shut down but not yet found a way to auto run a batch
    > file at shutdown.
    > David

    If you start FF from a batch file, the batch file will pause while FF is
    running and then continue once you shut down FF. So, you could include
    in the batch file the copy command to reset the user.js file
    accordingly. Have two batch files/shortcuts. One for LAN usage and one
    for stand-alone (remote) usage. Each would first copy the appropriate
    user.js file so the proper bookmarks.html location/file is used. e.g.,

    copy user_local.js user.js /Y ... or

    copy user_remote.js user.js /Y

    There's probably a more elegant way to get there but I think this would
    work.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net