    Seems everyone concourse that 306/316 is the preferred first test for most
    programmers. But which test leads into the other better for the last two?
    Would you recommend 305/315 or 310/320 as the second test?

    Edward, Oct 6, 2004

  2. Edward

    UAError Guest

    "Edward" <> wrote:

    >Seems everyone concourse that 306/316 is the preferred first test for most
    >programmers. But which test leads into the other better for the last two?
    >Would you recommend 305/315 or 310/320 as the second test?

    If that is your conclusion you haven't been lurking long
    enough.

    - Take 306/316 first if you have a background in desktop
    applications / smart / thick clients.

    - Take 305/315 first if you have a background in Web
    applications.

    - Take 310/320 second if you also have some background in
    middle tier component and/or web services. Otherwise take
    the "other one" of 305/315 or 306/316.

    - As the third one take the remaining one of 305/315,
    306/316, 310/320.

    - If you are taking the 70-229 elective feel free to take it
    as the VERY FIRST exam, otherwise take it any time before
    70-300. If you're waiting for the Yukon/SQL Server 2005
    equivalent you could be waiting for some time (6 months if
    your lucky, 18 months wouldn't be unusual. For comparison
    330/340 was first mentioned around February, went into beta
    around the beginning of May and finally came on-line in the
    last days of June - the Microsoft training guide appeared
    beginning of September, guides from other publishers are
    still pending. There has been no peep of an Yukon/SQL Server
    2005 exam yet; and there probably won't be until after SQL
    Server 2005 goes into public release).

    - Take 70-300 last unless you are competent in the skills
    being measured AND know the features of the Microsoft Core
    Product lines and their various versions, as you may need to
    make an upgrade decision based on the requirements (it does
    not always default to an upgrade).

    BTW: The above assumes that you are building a body of
    knowledge and competence, rather than memorizing answers to
    exam questions.

    UAError, Oct 6, 2004

  3. Edward

    Edward Guest

    "UAError" <> wrote in message
    > "Edward" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Seems everyone concourse that 306/316 is the preferred first test for most
    >>programmers. But which test leads into the other better for the last two?
    >>Would you recommend 305/315 or 310/320 as the second test?
    >>

    > If that is your conclusion you haven't been lurking long
    > enough.
    >
    > - Take 306/316 first if you have a background in desktop
    > applications / smart / thick clients.
    >
    > - Take 305/315 first if you have a background in Web
    > applications.
    >
    > - Take 310/320 second if you also have some background in
    > middle tier component and/or web services. Otherwise take
    > the "other one" of 305/315 or 306/316.
    >
    > - As the third one take the remaining one of 305/315,
    > 306/316, 310/320.
    >
    > - If you are taking the 70-229 elective feel free to take it
    > as the VERY FIRST exam, otherwise take it any time before
    > 70-300. If you're waiting for the Yukon/SQL Server 2005
    > equivalent you could be waiting for some time (6 months if
    > your lucky, 18 months wouldn't be unusual. For comparison
    > 330/340 was first mentioned around February, went into beta
    > around the beginning of May and finally came on-line in the
    > last days of June - the Microsoft training guide appeared
    > beginning of September, guides from other publishers are
    > still pending. There has been no peep of an Yukon/SQL Server
    > 2005 exam yet; and there probably won't be until after SQL
    > Server 2005 goes into public release).
    >
    > - Take 70-300 last unless you are competent in the skills
    > being measured AND know the features of the Microsoft Core
    > Product lines and their various versions, as you may need to
    > make an upgrade decision based on the requirements (it does
    > not always default to an upgrade).
    >
    > BTW: The above assumes that you are building a body of
    > knowledge and competence, rather than memorizing answers to
    > exam questions.

    Thanks for taking the time to reply. I finished my MCSD 6.0 in the spring. I
    avoided .NET until recently because I wanted to focus on the task at hand,
    and besides my employer is firmly entrenched in 6.0. I found the process of
    preparing for the tests most rewarding. It forced me to grow because despite
    spend my days developing software, a lot of what was on those tests I had no
    experience with, and I really enjoyed broadening my knowledge in windows.
    With luck, C# and .NET will be as exciting.

    I am puzzled by the people who want to get a cert without the tools to
    perform on the job. Even if they get a job because they have a cert, the job
    won't last long if they can't do the work.

    Edward

    Edward, Oct 6, 2004
  4. Edward

    UAError Guest

    "Edward" <> wrote:
    >Thanks for taking the time to reply. I finished my MCSD 6.0 in the spring. I
    >avoided .NET until recently because I wanted to focus on the task at hand,
    >and besides my employer is firmly entrenched in 6.0. I found the process of
    >preparing for the tests most rewarding. It forced me to grow because despite
    >spend my days developing software, a lot of what was on those tests I had no
    >experience with, and I really enjoyed broadening my knowledge in windows.
    >With luck, C# and .NET will be as exciting.
    >

    >I am puzzled by the people who want to get a cert without the tools to
    >perform on the job. Even if they get a job because they have a cert, the job
    >won't last long if they can't do the work.
    >

    >Edward

    No problem.

    Seeing that you must have passed 70-100 already you may be
    able to tackle 70-300 first after some time with:

    MCSD .NET Solution Architectures Exam Cram 2 (Exam 70-300)
    by Randy Cornish, Don Pavoni, Thomas Moore, Eric Rockenbach,
    Ed Tittel (Editor)
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/0789729296

    It has worked in at least one case
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=

    however as this does not help you with the MCAD credential
    you could delay it a bit.

    I started my .NET journey with

    Programming C#, Third Edition
    by Jesse Liberty
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/0596004893
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/progcsharp3/

    I wish I had spent more time with

    Microsoft ADO.NET (Core Reference)
    by David Sceppa (Author), David Sceppa
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...6084086/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_2/103-9037164-2087023

    before I continued with these (blue) Training Guides (not
    the red exam crams):
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...VJ0RA1Q8QCK8/ref=cm_bg_lm/002-5395162-7459259

    of course you will still need the MSDN
    http://msdn.microsoft.comttp://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/
    to fill in all those little gaps you will run into.

    See also one of my earlier posts
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=

    UAError, Oct 6, 2004
  5. Edward

    Eric Guest

    Edward wrote:

    > "UAError" <> wrote in message
    > > "Edward" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Seems everyone concourse that 306/316 is the preferred first test
    > > > for most programmers. But which test leads into the other better
    > > > for the last two? Would you recommend 305/315 or 310/320 as the
    > > > second test?
    > > >

    > > If that is your conclusion you haven't been lurking long
    > > enough.
    > >
    > > - Take 306/316 first if you have a background in desktop
    > > applications / smart / thick clients.
    > >
    > > - Take 305/315 first if you have a background in Web
    > > applications.
    > >
    > > - Take 310/320 second if you also have some background in
    > > middle tier component and/or web services. Otherwise take
    > > the "other one" of 305/315 or 306/316.
    > >
    > > - As the third one take the remaining one of 305/315,
    > > 306/316, 310/320.
    > >
    > > - If you are taking the 70-229 elective feel free to take it
    > > as the VERY FIRST exam, otherwise take it any time before
    > > 70-300. If you're waiting for the Yukon/SQL Server 2005
    > > equivalent you could be waiting for some time (6 months if
    > > your lucky, 18 months wouldn't be unusual. For comparison
    > > 330/340 was first mentioned around February, went into beta
    > > around the beginning of May and finally came on-line in the
    > > last days of June - the Microsoft training guide appeared
    > > beginning of September, guides from other publishers are
    > > still pending. There has been no peep of an Yukon/SQL Server
    > > 2005 exam yet; and there probably won't be until after SQL
    > > Server 2005 goes into public release).
    > >
    > > - Take 70-300 last unless you are competent in the skills
    > > being measured AND know the features of the Microsoft Core
    > > Product lines and their various versions, as you may need to
    > > make an upgrade decision based on the requirements (it does
    > > not always default to an upgrade).
    > >
    > > BTW: The above assumes that you are building a body of
    > > knowledge and competence, rather than memorizing answers to
    > > exam questions.

    > With luck, C# and .NET will be as exciting.

    Not even close! You don't even know the meaning of the word exciting
    until you start working with .NET! Maybe exhilarating is a better word
    for it.

    I can't count the number of hours of sleep I lost while messing around
    with some .NET application when I should have been sleeping.

    I wondor how many families have been broken up over .NET? Hmmm...maybe
    there's some grounds for lawsuits...

    Eric

    Eric, Oct 6, 2004