Second router as Access Point to extend range

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jeff, Dec 3, 2006.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I am trying to extend the range of my WPA-PSK and MAC protected home
    wireless lan which almost covers my entire home but not quite. I cannot
    move the main router because its location is dictated by its attachment to
    the broadband cable router on one edge of the house. I tried an extended
    antenna device but it does not do much. I found the following website
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    but I cannot quite get it to work and would like more specific advice for my
    setup if possible.

    My setup is as follows:

    I have 2 routers, both Trendnet TEW 432BRP routers (they were on sale).
    - One is connected to my cable modem for sharing the internet by my 3 home
    PCs and works fine except for the range.
    - The other router I would like to use as an "Access point" to extend the
    range to the distant rooms.

    I know the SSID should obviously be the same but am not sure what the other
    settings should be for the second TEW 432BRP that I intend to use as a WPA
    protected "access point" to extend my wlan range. Can someone help me?

    My working wlan with the main router has the followings settings:
    Primary router IP is 192.168.1.1
    IP range from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150
    subnet 255.255.255.0
    DHCP enabled

    In gathering these numbers I just noticed that in the "WAN Status" settings
    of the primary router the subnet is different: 255.255.254.0. Not sure why.
    I also have the default gateway and MAC addresses if they are needed.

    I assume the second router's IP number should be changed but to what? And
    obviously it should get its DHCP from the second PC it will be attached to,
    but how do I tell it to do that? Anything else?

    Thank you.

    Jeff Malka

    Jeff, Dec 3, 2006

  2. Hi

    The first Router that is connected to the Modem should be configured as
    regular Router ignoring the second Router.

    The WAN port of the Router is the Internet connection and should have the IP
    and mask that is assigned by the ISP and should not be the same as your
    Local network is.

    First makes sure that every thing works well with the first Router while one
    wired and one wireless computer are connected to it (at least for the
    initial setting and experimenting). Once every thing is working, you can
    attend to the second Router configuration.

    Using a second Router to extend a wireless network can be done in few ways
    depending on the Router’s wireless capacity.

    The page that you mentioned is geared toward extending the Wireless with a
    second Router that is connected with a wire to the first one (I.e. the two
    Routers do not connect wirelessly but need to be connected with a wire). To
    extend a Wireless Network without a wire you need a Router that is capable
    to be configured as WDS (I do not think that the Router that you bought can
    do WDS).

    In your case, the second Router has to be connected to the first one with a
    Cat5e wire (the ports are MDX so a regular cable would do), Regular port to
    Regular port (The WAN port of the second Router should not be used). The
    core IP of the second Router has to be changed since by default it is the
    same as the first, you can change it to 192.168.1.11 same mask.

    The DHCP on the second Router has to be disabled; the first Router’s DHCP
    would provide the whole Network.

    As for Wireless security, it should be the same on both Routers.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 3, 2006

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Thanks for the clear explanations.

    My first router is connected to one PC by cable and the other 2 wirelessly
    and all works fine including internet access.

    So now on to the second router. Because of my home setup it would not be
    practical to connect the second router to the first by cable. I need to do
    it either wirelessly or by the second router being connected by cable to one
    of the other PCs in another room (not the one that is cabled to router #1).

    If I connect router 2 by cable to a PC in an other room (that is conected
    wirelessly to the LAN and internet), do I still need the second router to be
    capable of being configured as WDS?

    What is WDS?

    Any other inexpensive way of extending the range of my home wlan?

    Thank you very much for helping.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Dec 4, 2006
  4. Hi
    If the signal were strong, enough to connect to a Router that would be
    placed in the second room, it would be strong enough to connect to a regular
    wireless card, and you would not need a second Router.
    If the signal is Not strong, you put a Router configured as WDS in the
    middle of the way (sitting there by itself). In WDS mode the second Router
    would receive the signal from the first Router and would transmit it further
    (AKA a Repeater). See here, Wireless Modes -
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
    Be aware, WDS is guaranteed to work with hardware of the same manufacturer.
    If you buy WDS that is made by a manufacturer other then the source Wireless
    Router, it might, or might not work, you would have to try. WDS cuts the
    Bandwidth into half. I.e. if it receives 20Mb.sec., it transmits further
    10Mb/sec.
    However, if laying a cable to a second Access Point is not an option, then
    it has to be WDS.
    This is a reasonably prices Router that does WDS (I do not know if it works
    with TrendNet.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833162173
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 4, 2006
  5. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Thank you very much. You have been extremely helpful and I truly appreciate
    your sharing your expertise with me.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Dec 4, 2006
  6. Jeff <> wrote:

    > I am trying to extend the range of my WPA-PSK and MAC protected home
    > wireless lan which almost covers my entire home but not quite.

    <snip>

    > My setup is as follows:
    >
    > I have 2 routers, both Trendnet TEW 432BRP routers (they were on sale).
    > - One is connected to my cable modem for sharing the internet by my 3 home
    > PCs and works fine except for the range.
    > - The other router I would like to use as an "Access point" to extend the
    > range to the distant rooms.

    Unfortunately, this model Trendnet router does not support WDS AP
    (=range extending) mode.

    Compare the router's features

    http://www.trendware.com/PRODUCTS/TEW-432BRP.htm

    with say the TEW 510APB

    http://www.trendware.com/products/TEW-510APB.htm

    : Supports WDS Access Point, AP Client/Repeater Modes

    I have a TEW 510APB and although it supports WDS AP mode, I use a D-Link
    DWL-G700AP in repeater mode to extend coverage. I already had the D-Link
    before I bought the Trendnet AP.

    However, the 510APB apparently supports (both) WDS AP and repeater
    modes. Can anyone explain what the difference is between a WDS AP
    (=range extender) and a repeater?

    My present setup works with WPA-PSK.

    Axel Hammerschmidt, Dec 4, 2006
  7. Jeff