Second Oppinion?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by FingAZ, May 25, 2006.

  1. FingAZ

    FingAZ Guest

    Hi, ill try and keep it short :D

    A friend of mine has a PC, about a month ago it started to randomly
    lock up. It has got progressively worse to the point where i went round
    there today; siwtched it on, went into BIOS to check the temps and
    voltages, and done- freezes.

    All voltages seem fine (both BIOS and voltmeter) and temperature was
    around 36.C on CPU.

    After this, it will switch on- or rather 'light up', but no throughput
    to monitor or anything.

    I have tried removing reseating the graphics card, using the onboard
    video, removing individual sticks of ram, switching them around, and so
    forth- but it will not throughput!
    It also seems that the power switch will no longer switch the system
    off in this state- the 5 seconds power switch trick doesnt work.

    My guess was a motherboard issue, as i can think of no other components
    that would cause this kind of issue? Second oppinions?

    Thanks in advance,
    Darren.

    PS Whilst on the subject; what would be the main reasons for a CPU
    being too hot?

    FingAZ, May 25, 2006

  2. FingAZ

    Martin Guest

    FingAZ wrote:

    > Thanks in advance,
    > Darren.
    >
    > PS Whilst on the subject; what would be the main reasons for a CPU
    > being too hot?

    Dead fan is the usual thing I see. It gets very hot, very quickly

    Martin, May 25, 2006

  3. FingAZ

    Jerry Attic Guest

    "FingAZ" <> said in news:1148586419.835724.296530
    @i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Hi, ill try and keep it short :D
    >
    > A friend of mine has a PC, about a month ago it started to randomly
    > lock up. It has got progressively worse to the point where i went round
    > there today; siwtched it on, went into BIOS to check the temps and
    > voltages, and done- freezes.
    >
    > All voltages seem fine (both BIOS and voltmeter) and temperature was
    > around 36.C on CPU.

    So you can get into the BIOS and after you'er done and get out, it freezes
    then? If that's the case remove or unplug everything(like the hard drive
    and DVD/CD) and try to boot it. If it starts up, one by one add the devices
    till you find the trouble maker.

    Jerry Attic, May 26, 2006
  4. FingAZ

    strumpling Guest

    yeah Jerry's got it....... try it "bare-bones" where only the following
    connections are made:

    power supply to motherboard, 1 stick of RAM to motherboard, processor
    to motherboard, heatsink/fan to processor, processor-fan to
    motherboard, and monitor to on-board video....

    Fire it up and see if even the processor fan starts up... Then get back
    to us

    strumpling, May 26, 2006