second network?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?am9obm55Ym95?=, Jan 13, 2007.

  1. I already operate my PC & LTop with an unsecured wireless network. How do I
    set up a second secure network before deleting the original??

    =?Utf-8?B?am9obm55Ym95?=, Jan 13, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?am9obm55Ym95?=

    Gordon Guest

    "johnnyboy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I already operate my PC & LTop with an unsecured wireless network. How do
    > set up a second secure network before deleting the original??

    Why not just secure the existing network?

    Gordon, Jan 13, 2007

  3. Fine Gordon, How???? when I attempt to activate WEP on the PC the netwoek
    shows up as unavailable in the taskbar

    =?Utf-8?B?am9obm55Ym95?=, Jan 13, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?am9obm55Ym95?=

    Gordon Guest

    "johnnyboy" <> wrote in message
    > Fine Gordon, How???? when I attempt to activate WEP on the PC the
    > netwoek
    > shows up as unavailable in the taskbar

    Firstly you need to set up a WEP key on the wireless router. You usually
    access that by typing in something like http://192.168.0.1 in your Web
    browser. Consult the manual for your router on how to do it. Then, when your
    pc tries to connect (reboot the machine after rebooting the router) it will
    ask you for the WEP key. So you need to write it down!

    Gordon, Jan 13, 2007
  5. Hi
    Wireless security has nothing to do with the Network per-se. It is a
    function between the Wireless components. I.e. you can delete or build many
    networks, but none of it has to do with the Wireless Encryption.
    From the weakest to the Strongest..
    No Security
    MAC
    WEP
    WPA-PSK
    WPA-AES
    WPA2
    The security must be set according to lowest capable Wireless component.
    I.e. even most of you Wireless are capable to do WPA2, but one device is
    only capable to do WEP, the whole system must be configured to WEP.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 13, 2007