    the BIOS and going through Windows Update, which I've tried) before I
    replace the mouse?

    Thanks.
    Jeff, May 24, 2004

  2. Jeff

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    news:E7esc.52708$pJ1.29469@lakeread02...
    > I have two mice plugged into my Windows XP computer. One of them keeps
    > becoming unrecognized and won't work. I can do a Search for New
    > Hardware, and it will usually, but not always, be found again. A few
    > minutes later it'll become unrecognized again. It might be a hardware
    > problem, but are there any software fixes I can try (besides updating
    > the BIOS and going through Windows Update, which I've tried) before I
    > replace the mouse?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Gotta ask: Why?
    Toolman Tim, May 24, 2004

  3. Jeff

    Jan Guest

    In article <>, "Toolman Tim"
    <ToolmanTim_at_charter_net_invalid> says...

    > "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    > > I have two mice plugged into my Windows XP computer. One of them keeps
    > > becoming unrecognized and won't work. I can do a Search for New
    > > Hardware, and it will usually, but not always, be found again. A few
    > > minutes later it'll become unrecognized again. It might be a hardware
    > > problem, but are there any software fixes I can try (besides updating
    > > the BIOS and going through Windows Update, which I've tried) before I
    > > replace the mouse?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > Gotta ask: Why?

    So he can play with himself?
    --
    Cheers!

    Jan
    Jan, May 24, 2004
  4. Jeff

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Jeff wrote:

    > I have two mice plugged into my Windows XP computer. One of them keeps
    > becoming unrecognized and won't work. I can do a Search for New
    > Hardware, and it will usually, but not always, be found again. A few
    > minutes later it'll become unrecognized again. It might be a hardware
    > problem, but are there any software fixes I can try (besides updating
    > the BIOS and going through Windows Update, which I've tried) before I
    > replace the mouse?
    >
    > Thanks.

    How do you have them connected Jeff? Providing you do not have a
    conflict with another device on your system they should co-exist
    peacefully without any problems.

    If the one that stops working is attached to a serial port make sure the
    oarticular com port is not also being used for a modem.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, May 24, 2004
  5. Jeff

    billybronco Guest

    If one connects 2 mice to the PC, does one get 2 pointers?

    billybronco, May 24, 2004
  6. Jeff

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    billybronco wrote:

    > If one connects 2 mice to the PC, does one get 2 pointers?

    No. Only one pointer, but able to be controlled by both mouses.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, May 24, 2004
  7. Jeff

    Romper Guest

    was said before :

    >billybronco wrote:
    >
    >> If one connects 2 mice to the PC, does one get 2 pointers?
    >>

    >No. Only one pointer, but able to be controlled by both mouses.

    >Oldus Fartus

    is it mouses of mice?

    Outa here.... got a muppet to save
    Romper, May 24, 2004
  8. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Oldus Fartus wrote:

    > Jeff wrote:
    >
    >> I have two mice plugged into my Windows XP computer. One of them keeps
    >> becoming unrecognized and won't work. I can do a Search for New
    >> Hardware, and it will usually, but not always, be found again. A few
    >> minutes later it'll become unrecognized again. It might be a hardware
    >> problem, but are there any software fixes I can try (besides updating
    >> the BIOS and going through Windows Update, which I've tried) before I
    >> replace the mouse?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > How do you have them connected Jeff? Providing you do not have a
    > conflict with another device on your system they should co-exist
    > peacefully without any problems.
    >
    > If the one that stops working is attached to a serial port make sure the
    > oarticular com port is not also being used for a modem.

    One is a normal, everyday mouse that connects via a serial port, the
    second, the one not working properly, is a mouth-operated
    mouse-substitute called a QuadJoy that connects via a PS/2 port, but is
    recognized like a normal, everyday mouse.

    Thanks for the tip about the modem. I use a cable modem, and I'll see if
    that or the onboard phone modem have changed their settings to cause a
    conflict. I hope the problem is something like that so I don't have to
    get a new Quadjoy or, god forbid, even though it's cheaper, a new mobo.
    Jeff, May 24, 2004
  9. Jeff

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Jeff wrote:

    > One is a normal, everyday mouse that connects via a serial port, the
    > second, the one not working properly, is a mouth-operated
    > mouse-substitute called a QuadJoy that connects via a PS/2 port, but is
    > recognized like a normal, everyday mouse.
    >
    > Thanks for the tip about the modem. I use a cable modem, and I'll see if
    > that or the onboard phone modem have changed their settings to cause a
    > conflict. I hope the problem is something like that so I don't have to
    > get a new Quadjoy or, god forbid, even though it's cheaper, a new mobo.

    I may have led you the wrong way Jeff. If the one that doesn't work is
    the PS2 one, then it shouldn't be a conflict with anything else using a
    com port. Perhaps you could try substituting the QuadJoy with a normal
    PS2 mouse and see whether it works or not. At least this will narrow
    it down to whether it is the QuadJoy or the port itself.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, May 25, 2004
  10. Jeff

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Jan" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, "Toolman Tim"
    > <ToolmanTim_at_charter_net_invalid> says...
    > >
    > > "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    > > > I have two mice plugged into my Windows XP computer. One of them keeps
    > > > becoming unrecognized and won't work. I can do a Search for New
    > > > Hardware, and it will usually, but not always, be found again. A few
    > > > minutes later it'll become unrecognized again. It might be a hardware
    > > > problem, but are there any software fixes I can try (besides updating
    > > > the BIOS and going through Windows Update, which I've tried) before I
    > > > replace the mouse?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks.

    > > Gotta ask: Why?
    > >

    > So he can play with himself?

    LMAO!
    Toolman Tim, May 25, 2004
  11. Oldus Fartus wrote:

    > Jeff wrote:

    >> One is a normal, everyday mouse that connects via a serial port, the
    >> second, the one not working properly, is a mouth-operated
    >> mouse-substitute called a QuadJoy that connects via a PS/2 port, but is
    >> recognized like a normal, everyday mouse.

    >> Thanks for the tip about the modem. I use a cable modem, and I'll see if
    >> that or the onboard phone modem have changed their settings to cause a
    >> conflict. I hope the problem is something like that so I don't have to
    >> get a new Quadjoy or, god forbid, even though it's cheaper, a new mobo.

    > I may have led you the wrong way Jeff. If the one that doesn't work is
    > the PS2 one, then it shouldn't be a conflict with anything else using a
    > com port. Perhaps you could try substituting the QuadJoy with a normal
    > PS2 mouse and see whether it works or not. At least this will narrow
    > it down to whether it is the QuadJoy or the port itself.

    I'm kinda rusty with Windows, but nobody's mentioned IRQ conflicts, I
    don't think. Should someone? Someone other than me, who *isn't* rusty
    with Windows, I mean? :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary
    Blinky the Shark, May 25, 2004
  12. Jeff

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Oldus Fartus wrote:
    >
    > > Jeff wrote:

    > >> One is a normal, everyday mouse that connects via a serial port, the
    > >> second, the one not working properly, is a mouth-operated
    > >> mouse-substitute called a QuadJoy that connects via a PS/2 port, but is
    > >> recognized like a normal, everyday mouse.

    > >> Thanks for the tip about the modem. I use a cable modem, and I'll see

    if
    > >> that or the onboard phone modem have changed their settings to cause a
    > >> conflict. I hope the problem is something like that so I don't have to
    > >> get a new Quadjoy or, god forbid, even though it's cheaper, a new mobo.

    > > I may have led you the wrong way Jeff. If the one that doesn't work is
    > > the PS2 one, then it shouldn't be a conflict with anything else using a
    > > com port. Perhaps you could try substituting the QuadJoy with a normal
    > > PS2 mouse and see whether it works or not. At least this will narrow
    > > it down to whether it is the QuadJoy or the port itself.

    > I'm kinda rusty with Windows, but nobody's mentioned IRQ conflicts, I
    > don't think. Should someone? Someone other than me, who *isn't* rusty
    > with Windows, I mean? :)

    I believe that IRQ 12 is used by the PS/2 mouse, and is reserved for that
    purpose. No other hardware is allowed to shart that IRQ. So it shouldn't be
    having any conflicts.
    Toolman Tim, May 25, 2004
  13. Jeff

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Oldus Fartus wrote:

    > if

    >>>I may have led you the wrong way Jeff. If the one that doesn't work is
    >>>the PS2 one, then it shouldn't be a conflict with anything else using a
    >>>com port. Perhaps you could try substituting the QuadJoy with a normal
    >>>PS2 mouse and see whether it works or not. At least this will narrow
    >>>it down to whether it is the QuadJoy or the port itself.

    >>I'm kinda rusty with Windows, but nobody's mentioned IRQ conflicts, I
    >>don't think. Should someone? Someone other than me, who *isn't* rusty
    >>with Windows, I mean? :)
    >>

    > I believe that IRQ 12 is used by the PS/2 mouse, and is reserved for that
    > purpose. No other hardware is allowed to shart that IRQ. So it shouldn't be
    > having any conflicts.

    Thanks Tim, yes, that was exactly what I meant.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, May 25, 2004
  14. Jeff

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Oldus Fartus wrote:
    >

    >>Jeff wrote:

    >>>One is a normal, everyday mouse that connects via a serial port, the
    >>>second, the one not working properly, is a mouth-operated
    >>>mouse-substitute called a QuadJoy that connects via a PS/2 port, but is
    >>>recognized like a normal, everyday mouse.

    >>>Thanks for the tip about the modem. I use a cable modem, and I'll see if
    >>>that or the onboard phone modem have changed their settings to cause a
    >>>conflict. I hope the problem is something like that so I don't have to
    >>>get a new Quadjoy or, god forbid, even though it's cheaper, a new mobo.

    >>I may have led you the wrong way Jeff. If the one that doesn't work is
    >>the PS2 one, then it shouldn't be a conflict with anything else using a
    >>com port. Perhaps you could try substituting the QuadJoy with a normal
    >>PS2 mouse and see whether it works or not. At least this will narrow
    >>it down to whether it is the QuadJoy or the port itself.

    > I'm kinda rusty with Windows, but nobody's mentioned IRQ conflicts, I
    > don't think. Should someone? Someone other than me, who *isn't* rusty
    > with Windows, I mean? :)

    It was a stab in the dark. If the two mouses (mices...meeces) worked
    together fine, but then one suddenly stopped I was thinking out loud and
    wondering whether they were both serial ones and one of them was sharing
    a com port with a modem or other serial device.

    With the one causing problems being PS2 I was on the wrong track -
    generally speaking a PS2 mouse does not conflict with other devices.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, May 25, 2004
  15. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> Oldus Fartus wrote:

    > if

    >> > I may have led you the wrong way Jeff. If the one that doesn't work is
    >> > the PS2 one, then it shouldn't be a conflict with anything else using a
    >> > com port. Perhaps you could try substituting the QuadJoy with a normal
    >> > PS2 mouse and see whether it works or not. At least this will narrow
    >> > it down to whether it is the QuadJoy or the port itself.

    >> I'm kinda rusty with Windows, but nobody's mentioned IRQ conflicts, I
    >> don't think. Should someone? Someone other than me, who *isn't* rusty
    >> with Windows, I mean? :)

    > I believe that IRQ 12 is used by the PS/2 mouse, and is reserved for that
    > purpose. No other hardware is allowed to shart that IRQ. So it shouldn't be
    > having any conflicts.

    See? I *am* rusty with Windows. ;)

    Didn't know PS2 meese had monopolies, there.

    Blinky the Shark, May 25, 2004