    edit home videos etc. Should i install windows on this drive ?? & if that is
    best when you switch on the pc do you get an option of which drive you want
    to go into ??
    Jerry, Jun 13, 2004

  2. Jerry

    Robert Baer Guest

    Jerry wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have just bought e 2nd drive (120gb), as i want to load on pinnacle to
    > edit home videos etc. Should i install windows on this drive ?? & if that is
    > best when you switch on the pc do you get an option of which drive you want
    > to go into ??

    Do not understand.
    The Primary Master drive C must have the initial boot record, even if
    "all" it seems to do is give you a boot option.
    If you want that second drive to be just a data drive, then format it
    as FAT32 or NTSF as you see fit; just be advised the OS you use must
    recognize NTSF if that is how you format the second drive.
    Robert Baer, Jun 13, 2004

  3. Jerry

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Robert Baer <> wrote in

    > The Primary Master drive C must have the initial boot record, even if
    > "all" it seems to do is give you a boot option.

    A) the Primary master is not always drive C:
    B) You can boot off a drive other than the primary master in almost every
    case since the mid 90s

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    DeMoN LaG, Jun 13, 2004
  4. Jerry

    Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 07:14:20 +0000 (UTC), "Jerry"
    <> spewed forth:

    >Hi,
    >I have just bought e 2nd drive (120gb), as i want to load on pinnacle to
    >edit home videos etc. Should i install windows on this drive ?? & if that is
    >best when you switch on the pc do you get an option of which drive you want
    >to go into ??

    IF you have an existing version of Windows on your hard drive, you
    should not have to install windows on a secondary drive.
    However, if the performance of the 120GB drive exceeds your existing
    drive (faster seek time or RPM's, etc) then you should make the faster
    one your primary master.
    Many Hard drive manufacturers have utilities that came with the drives
    to copy data bit for bit, so it may not be necessary to reload
    windows.
    --
    Mark

    Otherwise known as
    ------------
    Cablenetguy
    , Jun 13, 2004
  5. Jerry

    Brad Griffis Guest

    I would NOT put Windows on the new drive if you plan to do video editing.
    Video editing requires a ton of data to get moved around so you should have
    windows and pinnacle on one drive (and one IDE channel) and all your video
    data on the other drive (and its own IDE channel).

    Brad

    Brad Griffis, Jun 13, 2004
  6. Jerry

    Robert Baer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > Robert Baer <> wrote in
    >
    > > The Primary Master drive C must have the initial boot record, even if
    > > "all" it seems to do is give you a boot option.

    > A) the Primary master is not always drive C:
    > B) You can boot off a drive other than the primary master in almost every
    > case since the mid 90s
    >
    > --
    > website: http://www.demonlag.com
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > email:

    Have not experienced either A or B, ever.
    Robert Baer, Jun 14, 2004
  7. Jerry

    Robert Baer Guest

    wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 07:14:20 +0000 (UTC), "Jerry"
    > <> spewed forth:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >I have just bought e 2nd drive (120gb), as i want to load on pinnacle to
    > >edit home videos etc. Should i install windows on this drive ?? & if that is
    > >best when you switch on the pc do you get an option of which drive you want
    > >to go into ??
    > >

    > IF you have an existing version of Windows on your hard drive, you
    > should not have to install windows on a secondary drive.
    > However, if the performance of the 120GB drive exceeds your existing
    > drive (faster seek time or RPM's, etc) then you should make the faster
    > one your primary master.
    > Many Hard drive manufacturers have utilities that came with the drives
    > to copy data bit for bit, so it may not be necessary to reload
    > windows.
    > --
    > Mark
    >
    > Otherwise known as
    > ------------
    > Cablenetguy

    Really? I have *never* seen manufacturers utilities include anything
    that resembles a HD copy routine.
    Robert Baer, Jun 14, 2004
  8. Jerry

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > Really? I have *never* seen manufacturers utilities include anything
    > that resembles a HD copy routine.

    Was quite common.

    The Seagate Extra Value CD which came with their drives included File
    Copy which worked quite well for copying an entire hard drive to a new one.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Jun 14, 2004
  9. Jerry

    bearman Guest

    "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >

    > > Really? I have *never* seen manufacturers utilities include anything
    > > that resembles a HD copy routine.

    > Was quite common.
    >
    > The Seagate Extra Value CD which came with their drives included File
    > Copy which worked quite well for copying an entire hard drive to a new

    one.

    > --
    > Cheers
    > Oldus Fartus

    And Western Digital has a CD called Data Lifeguard that I used to clone my
    hard drive.

    Bearman
    bearman, Jun 14, 2004
  10. Jerry

    Thor Guest

    "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    > >
    > > On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 07:14:20 +0000 (UTC), "Jerry"
    > > <> spewed forth:
    > >
    > > >Hi,
    > > >I have just bought e 2nd drive (120gb), as i want to load on pinnacle

    > > >edit home videos etc. Should i install windows on this drive ?? & if

    that is
    > > >best when you switch on the pc do you get an option of which drive you

    want
    > > >to go into ??
    > > >

    > > IF you have an existing version of Windows on your hard drive, you
    > > should not have to install windows on a secondary drive.
    > > However, if the performance of the 120GB drive exceeds your existing
    > > drive (faster seek time or RPM's, etc) then you should make the faster
    > > one your primary master.
    > > Many Hard drive manufacturers have utilities that came with the drives
    > > to copy data bit for bit, so it may not be necessary to reload
    > > windows.
    > > --
    > > Mark
    > >
    > > Otherwise known as
    > > ------------
    > > Cablenetguy

    > Really? I have *never* seen manufacturers utilities include anything
    > that resembles a HD copy routine.

    I have. I probably have a couple of them archived somewhere at the moment,
    but I'm too lazy to make a boot diskette and find out specifically which
    ones. :)
    Thor, Jun 14, 2004
  11. Robert Baer wrote:

    > DeMoN LaG wrote:
    >
    >>Robert Baer <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> The Primary Master drive C must have the initial boot record, even if
    >>>"all" it seems to do is give you a boot option.

    >>A) the Primary master is not always drive C:
    >>B) You can boot off a drive other than the primary master in almost every
    >>case since the mid 90s
    >>
    >>--
    >>website: http://www.demonlag.com
    >>AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    >>email:

    > Have not experienced either A or B, ever.

    A) Primary master holds non-DOS partition & therefore doesn't receive a
    drive letter.
    B) IIRC Windows boots from (or installs boot manager to) first available
    DOS partition which is C but may or may not be Primary Master. Won't
    swear that there aren't situations where first available DOS partition
    isn't C but that's one that I haven't run into yet.

    Question: Can't remember if there's a limitation on booting from Master
    vs. Slave. No limit on booting from Primary vs. Secondary (or even
    Tertiary if so equipped) but I think the boot drive must be a master,
    not a slave. Won't swear to that though. Memory isn't what it used to
    be-and maybe it never was. (I can't remember, now.)
    Calvin Crumrine, Jun 15, 2004
  12. Jerry

    bearman Guest

    "Calvin Crumrine" <> wrote in message
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >
    > > DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > >
    > >>Robert Baer <> wrote in

    > >>A) the Primary master is not always drive C:
    > >>B) You can boot off a drive other than the primary master in almost

    every
    > >>case since the mid 90s
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>website: http://www.demonlag.com
    > >>AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > >>email:

    > > Have not experienced either A or B, ever.

    > A) Primary master holds non-DOS partition & therefore doesn't receive a
    > drive letter.
    > B) IIRC Windows boots from (or installs boot manager to) first available
    > DOS partition which is C but may or may not be Primary Master. Won't
    > swear that there aren't situations where first available DOS partition
    > isn't C but that's one that I haven't run into yet.
    >
    > Question: Can't remember if there's a limitation on booting from Master
    > vs. Slave. No limit on booting from Primary vs. Secondary (or even
    > Tertiary if so equipped) but I think the boot drive must be a master,
    > not a slave. Won't swear to that though. Memory isn't what it used to
    > be-and maybe it never was. (I can't remember, now.)

    My setup has the boot drive as F: and it's on the primary IDE channel as
    master. My other hard drive is on the secondary IDE channel as a master and
    it has two partitions, C: and G:. My TDK CD-RW is D: and my DVD reader is
    E:, both slaves. Running XP Home.

    HTH

    Bearman
    bearman, Jun 15, 2004
  13. Jerry

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Calvin Crumrine <> wrote in news:10cufbv1qh6jic9
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > Question: Can't remember if there's a limitation on booting from Master
    > vs. Slave. No limit on booting from Primary vs. Secondary (or even
    > Tertiary if so equipped) but I think the boot drive must be a master,
    > not a slave. Won't swear to that though. Memory isn't what it used to
    > be-and maybe it never was. (I can't remember, now.)

    I've booted from primary slave many time. Install Windows on Master,
    install Linux on slave (don't install bootloader to windows drive), use the
    BIOS to switch which device boots first.

    DeMoN LaG, Jun 15, 2004