    E drive (CD ROM).

    Surely, windows explorer can show both drives or how am I expected to use
    the second hard drive.
    David Graham, Jan 20, 2007

  2. David Graham

    Shoo Guest

    "David Graham" <> wrote in message
    news:kTwsh.63954$...
    > Hi - only beginner but I have managed to open up my PC and put the
    > following
    > arrangement in:
    > I have a bootable hard drive (Primary Master), a CD Rom (Primary Slave), a
    > hard drive (Secondary Master) and a CD - RW (secondary slave). The intial
    > start up screen lists both of my hard drives as present and Belarc lists
    > both as present as well, but when I go to use files on the secondary
    > master
    > hard drive using windows explorer, it's not there!
    > Explorer lists the following:
    > c drive (Primary Master)
    > D drive (CD - RW)
    > E drive (CD ROM).
    >
    > Surely, windows explorer can show both drives or how am I expected to use
    > the second hard drive.

    Maybe you need to format the new drive.
    If you are using XP right click on My Computer icon on the desktop and
    select Manage then Disk Management.
    There is a disk management Help topic available at the top of the window.
    Shoo, Jan 21, 2007

  3. David Graham

    VWWall Guest

    David Graham wrote:
    > Hi - only beginner but I have managed to open up my PC and put the following
    > arrangement in:
    > I have a bootable hard drive (Primary Master), a CD Rom (Primary Slave), a
    > hard drive (Secondary Master) and a CD - RW (secondary slave). The intial
    > start up screen lists both of my hard drives as present and Belarc lists
    > both as present as well, but when I go to use files on the secondary master
    > hard drive using windows explorer, it's not there!

    The BIOS lists the drive by reading the ID in the drive's firmware.

    > Explorer lists the following:
    > c drive (Primary Master)
    > D drive (CD - RW)
    > E drive (CD ROM).

    An operating system cannot use the drive until it is partitioned and
    formatted with a file system the OS understands.

    > Surely, windows explorer can show both drives or how am I expected to use
    > the second hard drive.

    Make one or more partitions and format each with NTFS or FAT32, and
    Explorer will show it,(them).

    --
    Virg Wall, P.E.
    VWWall, Jan 21, 2007
  4. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    Hi
    Thanks for the help.
    The drive I cannot see that is on the secondary master is an old drive from
    another PC. It is already formatted to FAT32 and has windows 98 OS. The
    primary master hard drive is formatted NTFS and has Windows XP on it. Does
    this info help you to help me further. Also I have been told you cannot have
    2 masters as C is the lowest letter a PC can have, so one hard drive must be
    a slave - is that true? I thought it was OK to have 2 masters so long as
    they are not both in the same IDE
    thanks
    David

    David Graham, Jan 21, 2007
  5. David Graham

    Baron Guest

    David Graham wrote:

    > Hi - only beginner but I have managed to open up my PC and put the
    > following arrangement in:
    > I have a bootable hard drive (Primary Master), a CD Rom (Primary
    > Slave), a hard drive (Secondary Master) and a CD - RW (secondary
    > slave). The intial start up screen lists both of my hard drives as
    > present and Belarc lists both as present as well, but when I go to
    > use files on the secondary master hard drive using windows explorer,
    > it's not there! Explorer lists the following:
    > c drive (Primary Master)
    > D drive (CD - RW)
    > E drive (CD ROM).
    >
    > Surely, windows explorer can show both drives or how am I expected
    > to use the second hard drive.

    Check the setting for the CD-RW
    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Jan 21, 2007
  6. David Graham

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 22:40:16 +0000, David Graham wrote:

    > Hi - only beginner but I have managed to open up my PC and put the following
    > arrangement in:
    > I have a bootable hard drive (Primary Master), a CD Rom (Primary Slave), a
    > hard drive (Secondary Master) and a CD - RW (secondary slave). The intial
    > start up screen lists both of my hard drives as present and Belarc lists
    > both as present as well, but when I go to use files on the secondary master
    > hard drive using windows explorer, it's not there!
    > Explorer lists the following:
    > c drive (Primary Master)
    > D drive (CD - RW)
    > E drive (CD ROM).
    >
    > Surely, windows explorer can show both drives or how am I expected to use
    > the second hard drive.

    Jumper settings correct?
    Cable connections correct?
    Disconnect both your CD drives until you get that slave drive with FAT32
    on it working. Then pull off whatever files you want to save and wipe
    that drive clean and use it for storage.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Jan 24, 2007
  7. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    Hi
    I removed all drives but the problem drive and booted from that and then it
    has a volume letter. I have now wiped it and formatted as NTFS. It is
    primary slave to my new drive which is primary master. The drive works fine
    as a storage drive. When I had the problem it was like my new disc formatted
    NTFS with XP on it couldn't understand what a win 98 fat32 disc was! I
    wonder if anyone agrees or has had a similar problem that we could all
    benefit from knowing about.

    David Graham, Jan 25, 2007
  8. David Graham

    JTJersey Guest

    On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 13:51:42 +0000, David Graham wrote:

    > Hi
    > I removed all drives but the problem drive and booted from that and then
    > it has a volume letter. I have now wiped it and formatted as NTFS. It is
    > primary slave to my new drive which is primary master. The drive works
    > fine as a storage drive. When I had the problem it was like my new disc
    > formatted NTFS with XP on it couldn't understand what a win 98 fat32
    > disc was! I wonder if anyone agrees or has had a similar problem that we
    > could all benefit from knowing about.

    My WinXP machine is formatted NTFS with the slave drive I use for storage
    formatted FAT32. A jumper setting or cabling problem is the only thing I
    can think of, unless the Win98 setup on your FAT32 drive was so corrupted
    as to not be recognized, but I've never actually encountered that problem.
    Just a guess.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Jan 25, 2007