Second Hard Drive No show

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by old jon, Feb 14, 2006.

  1. old jon

    old jon Guest

    "Sam Salt" <> wrote in message
    news:dsthe8$l7t$-infra.bt.com...
    >I have installed a second hard drive to my system.I have formatted it
    >successfully twice.It is recognised by the BIOS at start up,it correctly
    >shows as Secondary Slave,it appears in Disc Management as a healthy active
    >disc,it appears in Device Manager without displaying any problems but it
    >won't show in My Computer.
    >
    > I have XP Pro.

    Hi Sam. Try deleting the drive in Dev Manager, then restart your machine.

    --
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Feb 14, 2006

  2. old jon

    Sam Salt Guest

    I have installed a second hard drive to my system.I have formatted it
    successfully twice.It is recognised by the BIOS at start up,it correctly
    shows as Secondary Slave,it appears in Disc Management as a healthy
    active disc,it appears in Device Manager without displaying any problems
    but it won't show in My Computer.

    I have XP Pro.

    Any solutions please ?

    Sam Salt
    Sam Salt, Feb 14, 2006

  3. old jon

    Sam Salt Guest

    old jon wrote:
    > "Sam Salt" <> wrote in message
    >> I have installed a second hard drive to my system.I have formatted it
    >> successfully twice.It is recognised by the BIOS at start up,it correctly
    >> shows as Secondary Slave,it appears in Disc Management as a healthy active
    >> disc,it appears in Device Manager without displaying any problems but it
    >> won't show in My Computer.
    >>
    >> I have XP Pro.
    >>

    > Hi Sam. Try deleting the drive in Dev Manager, then restart your machine.

    Thanks for the suggestion Jon but it didn't make any difference,still
    not in My Computer.

    Bit of a typo in OP,should have said I set it as Primary Slave not
    Secondary Slave.

    Sam Salt
    Sam Salt, Feb 14, 2006
  4. old jon

    the paddle Guest

    the paddle, Feb 14, 2006
  5. old jon

    the paddle Guest

    the paddle, Feb 14, 2006
  6. Sam Salt wrote:

    > I have installed a second hard drive to my system.I have formatted it
    > successfully twice.It is recognised by the BIOS at start up,it correctly
    > shows as Secondary Slave,it appears in Disc Management as a healthy
    > active disc,it appears in Device Manager without displaying any problems
    > but it won't show in My Computer.

    You have a 2nd disc in drive manager. So far so good. Now use drive manager
    to partition and format it, and assign drive letters to the new created
    partition(s), and you will see them.

    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Feb 14, 2006
  7. old jon

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:dsthe8$l7t$-infra.bt.com,
    Sam Salt spewed forth:
    > I have installed a second hard drive to my system.I have formatted it
    > successfully twice.It is recognised by the BIOS at start up,it
    > correctly shows as Secondary Slave,it appears in Disc Management as a
    > healthy active disc,it appears in Device Manager without displaying
    > any problems but it won't show in My Computer.
    >
    > I have XP Pro.
    >
    > Any solutions please ?
    >
    > Sam Salt

    Have you assigned it a drive letter?

    Toolman Tim, Feb 15, 2006
  8. old jon

    Sam Salt Guest

    Walter Mautner wrote:
    > Sam Salt wrote:
    >
    >> I have installed a second hard drive to my system.I have formatted it
    >> successfully twice.It is recognised by the BIOS at start up,it correctly
    >> shows as Secondary Slave,it appears in Disc Management as a healthy
    >> active disc,it appears in Device Manager without displaying any problems
    >> but it won't show in My Computer.
    >>

    > You have a 2nd disc in drive manager. So far so good. Now use drive manager
    > to partition and format it, and assign drive letters to the new created
    > partition(s), and you will see them.

    Drive letter assigned (F),partitioned and formatted.

    Sam Salt
    Sam Salt, Feb 15, 2006
  9. old jon

    Sam Salt Guest

    the paddle wrote:
    > Sounds a bit like it:

    > Although doesn't mention XP.
    >
    > Take the warning about amending the Registry.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > paddle

    That did it,

    Thanks paddle