Second Hard Drive intsall problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pray4Mojo, Apr 11, 2004.

  1. Pray4Mojo

    Pray4Mojo Guest

    I would be very grateful for any help or advice.
    I'm running a Dell Dimension 4300 with Win ME and a 40 gb hard drive.
    My hard drive is nearly full, and I have attempted to install a second hard
    drive (120gb Hitachi). So, the initial problem ....
    Opened up PC and fitted new drive, all leads OK, jumpers set OK, (I have
    double checked the jumpers and they are not set to limit the drive to 32gb)
    but when I restarted the new drive was not showing, either by the device
    manager or in the BIOS, opened up again double checked, but nothing.
    Subsequent problem... disconnected original 40gb hard drive and restarted.
    Hurray! new drive was recognised and I began to format. now, here's the
    problem - It is only showing as 32gb in size.When I reconnected my original
    hard drive both were showing in my computer, but not showing in the BIOS.
    Looking on the net this does seem to be a problem encountered by others, but
    I'm not sure what to do to solve mine. I consider myself to be reasonably PC
    savvy, but messing with the BIOS is not something I have done, only to
    change the boot up config when I had a problem earlier this year.
    I don't understand why 32gb is being recognised when I already run a 40gb
    hard drive. My flatmate has a Dell (not sure which but only an 18 month old
    model) and he runs XP and said he installed a new hard drive no probs at
    all, so I'm puzzled.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Pray4Mojo, Apr 11, 2004

  2. Pray4Mojo wrote:
    > I would be very grateful for any help or advice.
    > I'm running a Dell Dimension 4300 with Win ME and a 40 gb hard drive.
    > My hard drive is nearly full, and I have attempted to install a second hard
    > drive (120gb Hitachi). So, the initial problem ....
    > Opened up PC and fitted new drive, all leads OK, jumpers set OK, (I have
    > double checked the jumpers and they are not set to limit the drive to 32gb)
    > but when I restarted the new drive was not showing, either by the device
    > manager or in the BIOS, opened up again double checked, but nothing.
    > Subsequent problem... disconnected original 40gb hard drive and restarted.
    > Hurray! new drive was recognised and I began to format. now, here's the
    > problem - It is only showing as 32gb in size.When I reconnected my original
    > hard drive both were showing in my computer, but not showing in the BIOS.
    > Looking on the net this does seem to be a problem encountered by others, but
    > I'm not sure what to do to solve mine. I consider myself to be reasonably PC
    > savvy, but messing with the BIOS is not something I have done, only to
    > change the boot up config when I had a problem earlier this year.
    > I don't understand why 32gb is being recognised when I already run a 40gb
    > hard drive. My flatmate has a Dell (not sure which but only an 18 month old
    > model) and he runs XP and said he installed a new hard drive no probs at
    > all, so I'm puzzled.
    > Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    The simplest solution I can think of is to put your coat on. Nip round
    to the local newsagents and see if they have any computer mags with
    Partition Magic on the cover disk. Buy one! Partition Magic gives you a
    very easy to understand graphical representation of your hard disk space
    and makes it very easy to set up your partitions. It also makes it
    very easy to change them without losing your data. It has excellent
    context sensitive help that actually explains everything.
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 11, 2004

  3. Pray4Mojo

    Millimeter Guest

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 09:32:44 +0100, "Pray4Mojo"
    <> wrote:

    >I would be very grateful for any help or advice.
    >I'm running a Dell Dimension 4300 with Win ME and a 40 gb hard drive.
    >My hard drive is nearly full, and I have attempted to install a second hard
    >drive (120gb Hitachi). So, the initial problem ....
    >Opened up PC and fitted new drive, all leads OK, jumpers set OK, (I have
    >double checked the jumpers and they are not set to limit the drive to 32gb)
    >but when I restarted the new drive was not showing, either by the device
    >manager or in the BIOS, opened up again double checked, but nothing.
    >Subsequent problem... disconnected original 40gb hard drive and restarted.
    >Hurray! new drive was recognised and I began to format. now, here's the
    >problem - It is only showing as 32gb in size.When I reconnected my original
    >hard drive both were showing in my computer, but not showing in the BIOS.
    >Looking on the net this does seem to be a problem encountered by others, but
    >I'm not sure what to do to solve mine. I consider myself to be reasonably PC
    >savvy, but messing with the BIOS is not something I have done, only to
    >change the boot up config when I had a problem earlier this year.
    >I don't understand why 32gb is being recognised when I already run a 40gb
    >hard drive. My flatmate has a Dell (not sure which but only an 18 month old
    >model) and he runs XP and said he installed a new hard drive no probs at
    >all, so I'm puzzled.
    >Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    Did the hitachi drive come with an installation CD?
    Millimeter
    Millimeter, Apr 11, 2004
  4. Pray4Mojo

    hamman Guest

    "Pray4Mojo" <> wrote in message
    > I would be very grateful for any help or advice.
    > I'm running a Dell Dimension 4300 with Win ME and a 40 gb hard drive.
    > My hard drive is nearly full, and I have attempted to install a second

    hard
    > drive (120gb Hitachi). So, the initial problem ....
    > Opened up PC and fitted new drive, all leads OK, jumpers set OK, (I have
    > double checked the jumpers and they are not set to limit the drive to

    32gb)
    > but when I restarted the new drive was not showing, either by the device
    > manager or in the BIOS, opened up again double checked, but nothing.
    > Subsequent problem... disconnected original 40gb hard drive and restarted.
    > Hurray! new drive was recognised and I began to format. now, here's the
    > problem - It is only showing as 32gb in size.When I reconnected my

    original
    > hard drive both were showing in my computer, but not showing in the BIOS.
    > Looking on the net this does seem to be a problem encountered by others,

    but
    > I'm not sure what to do to solve mine. I consider myself to be reasonably

    PC
    > savvy, but messing with the BIOS is not something I have done, only to
    > change the boot up config when I had a problem earlier this year.
    > I don't understand why 32gb is being recognised when I already run a 40gb
    > hard drive. My flatmate has a Dell (not sure which but only an 18 month

    old
    > model) and he runs XP and said he installed a new hard drive no probs at
    > all, so I'm puzzled.
    > Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    1. Make sure you have Service Pack 1 installed
    2. Visit the dell website to get a BIOS update to support drives over 84Gb
    (?) theres a limit around there somewhere

    hamman
    hamman, Apr 11, 2004