second ethernet card

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?SlQ=?=, Nov 15, 2007.

  1. Hey all again.....

    I have a windows XP 64 bit with dual processor (intel) gigabyte motherboard,
    4gigs ram, onboard bigabyte ethernet controller set to automatically get an
    IP address, this card is connected to my 4 port routher and have an inhouse
    network.. I access the internet thru this controller..

    I have finally found a PCI ethernet card that is compatable with the 64bit
    OS.. There are several out there that are 64bit but need the PCI Express slot
    to work...this one works with the standard PCI slot.. A USrobotics 10/100/1000

    I have install the card and the software and it show up in the device
    manager and everywhere else.. and says it is working correctly....

    what Im doing with it is running a piece of equipment that uses a net
    connection, I was getting some screwy communications thru the router, so
    opted to go direct from an ethernet card...

    the equipment runs perfectly from the onboard adaptor with a setting of
    192.168.0.120, the equipment IP is set to 192.168.0.130

    my problem is....I have set up the TCP/IP on the added 64bit card to
    192.168.0.120, my equipment is set to 192.168.0.130

    I have tried several different options to get this to work...

    Not sure what to do here.. im an end user and not that great with network
    stuff...

    any help with this would be appreciated...

    Thanks in advance

    =?Utf-8?B?SlQ=?=, Nov 15, 2007

  2. This isn't really a 64-bit question - it's a pure networking question. Would
    be the same in 32-bit Windows.
    That being said, there are several possibilities:

    1.) you say you connected the equipment directly to the card. Normal cables
    expect to connect to a hub/switch and have the other equipment on the
    network connect to another port on the switch. If the two are directly
    connected, they need to have a cross-over cable between them, unless one of
    the NICs is "autosensing". Do you have a connection light? What is the
    status of the connection in XP?

    2.) You can't put this second NIC at the same IP address as your original
    NIC. That's bad and won't work.

    3.) You should really have the equipment and the second NIC on a completely
    different subnet (range of IP addresses). You can either change the ip
    addresses used by the 2nd NIC and the device, or you can change the
    addresses being handed out and used by the router and the original NIC.
    Change the 2nd NIC to 192.168.10.120, the equipment IP is set to
    192.168.10.130. If you try to have them both on the same subnet you'll end
    up with issues as Windows won't know which NIC to use to reach the equipment
    and will try to default to the original one. By using fixed IP addresses in
    a different subnet you solve that.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 15, 2007

  3. Thanks a million..... that worked....

    JT

    =?Utf-8?B?SlQ=?=, Nov 15, 2007
  4. Hi Charly,
    I think most Gig-Lan cards do support Auto-MDI-X with support for Cross Over
    / Straight Throug cabling.
    regards jk

    Juergen Kluth, Nov 15, 2007
  5. Many do. I have no idea if the US Robotics one does. IAC, I prefer to answer
    with as general an answer as possible, since this is a one to many
    environment and others read the answers and can learn. So I wanted to
    provide guidance that would cover a broader range of problems that might be
    related.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 15, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?SlQ=?=

    Drew Guest

    Charlie,

    Couldn't you just disable the original onboard NIC through Network
    Connections and use the same IP on the new card? Or did I misunderstand the
    OP?

    Drew

    Drew, Nov 15, 2007
  7. Then the computer would lose connectivity with the router. And it's NEVER a
    good idea to try to reuse an IP address from a card that is still present in
    the machine.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 15, 2007
  8. So then, go into the Bios and disable the onboard nic... I've done that
    before w/o any problems.

    >>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Gary J. Dikkema, Nov 15, 2007
  9. yes. But why? He still needs to connect to the router, he gains nothing by
    trying to reuse that same address, and the next time he flashes his BIOS
    he's got a conflict. And if that's 6 months from now, will he remember that
    they have the same address? And all this to gain what, exactly?

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 15, 2007
  10. So the question is why is the IP being used??? OK, good comment then. <VBG>

    However, I have done this and it's been more than 6 months and the Bios has
    been flashed and there were NO ill effects. <VBG> (for me) Sorry Charlie...

    >>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Gary J. Dikkema, Nov 16, 2007
  11. you must have one of those lucky BIOS's that will flash without resetting to
    default. Heck, every time most ASUS mobos get flashed their USB reverts to
    1.1 speed. :(

    And yes, I'd expect you to remember and deal with it. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 16, 2007
  12. Charlie:
    I have not used ASUS mobos lately but I can recall that there was a Windows
    utility (ASUSUpdate) that could be used to download new BIOSes and flash from
    within Windows.
    That program had an option for retaining your current settings or resetting
    them to their default.
    I always opted for retaining my settings and never had any issues with that.
    Don't know whether that utility runs in Vista.
    Just saw an update of it (if you feel like trying) in www.station-drivers.com

    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Nov 16, 2007
  13. Yep, have used that for various mobos.

    However, AFTER flashing I always go thru the Bios to ensure the settings are
    the way 'they should be'.

    Cheers!

    Gary J. Dikkema, Nov 16, 2007
  14. Oh, yes, I've used that utility. It never actually managed to save them all.
    I always end up having to check the settings anyway.

    Oh, and yes, I'm pretty sure it runs in Vista.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 16, 2007